I don't like night sights - Page 2

I don't like night sights

This is a discussion on I don't like night sights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use to think I had to have night sights on all of my carry guns, but I've come to realize that as I get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: I don't like night sights

I use to think I had to have night sights on all of my carry guns, but I've come to realize that as I get older and my eyesight keeps deteriorating, I can't see those night sights very well in the day light, which just happens to be when I do 100% of my shooting. Both the indoor and outdoor range are very well lit.

I use traffic cone orange nail polish on my revolvers that don't have replaceable sights and can see those very well. I even took the XS night sight off of my favorite carry gun (2.25" sp101) and put the black ramp that came on it, back on, and painted it. Wish I would have done it years ago.

Like I said, I do all my shooting in well lit conditions, might as well be able to see my front sights better. If I ever need to actually shoot someone at night, I'll just rely on my point shooting, which I do a lot of dry fire practice at home with a crimson trace laser, shooting light switches and what not. I also carry a flashlight in my weak hand pocket that I can use to illuminate my sights and the BG with, if needed past bad breath distance.

So I am done wasting money on night sights that I can't see when I'm actually using them. They sure look pretty laying on the night stand at night though, I will admit.

Distinguished Member
    The first rifle I was issued was an M1. The second was an M14. The third was an M16. The only pistol I was ever issued was an M1911. None of then had night sights. I had to use the M14, M16, and the M1911 at night in battle. I do not use night sights or fluorescent plaint on my sights, and I do not feel insecure for one second in the darkness. Night sights make it easier to see your sights, but they do not make it easier to see your target. If you have enough light to see your target, you have enough light to employ your sights. Silhouette aiming is what it is called.
    PEF, maxwell97 and Old Man like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I use to think I had to have night sights on all of my carry guns, but I've come to realize that as I get older and my eyesight keeps deteriorating, I can't see those night sights very well in the day light, which just happens to be when I do 100% of my shooting.
    I have experienced the same. I got them installed on my XD, and it took me a few months to regain my proficiency with sighted shooting, with the reduced visibility of the dots on the rear sight in a well-lit range.

The only positive to that is that, out of necessity, I started emphasizing point shooting a lot more, and I've made great strides with that...
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I like night sights.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What I do, that is, if I do a self installation, is leave the rear sight stock, and put on a front-night sight.

All i I want to see is that front sight anyway, unless I am shooting for groups. But I do find it useful.
    Same here...I like that night front sight.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    I have night sights on all my Glocks. In IDPA matches, in daylight, the sights are perfect. In poor light, not pitch dark, dusk? Great also. Push the pistol forward from the draw, as the end of the punch is gained, trigger pressed, shot breaks!

My new G43X came with Ameriglo night sights, Blue box order. Rear sight a tiny move to the right, perfect point of aim, point of impact. Did not find my Gen4 G19 to cumbersome, but the G43X is so comfortable really. Will be happier when the 15 round aftermarket magazines appear. Just me, 16 beats 11.
    I coined a phrase, in the 80s.

MORE IS BETTER, ALWAYS! Have not changed my opinion yet!

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I use traffic cone orange nail polish on my revolvers that don't have replaceable sights
    I use that on all my sights, including night sights. After it dries I clear the trijicon tube area with a dental tool. Best of both world and inexpensive as well.
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Get a good one and make sure you can return it. I bought one that was not cheap and was supposed to be "universal." Turned out there was no way to use it on the gun I had. I have taken to just getting a gunsmith to install dovetail night sights. I think would need to be replacing sights on half dozen guns to make a really good pusher worth the expense.

Back to night sights, I took an "Advanced Low Light" course that was one of the best shooting courses I've taken. We started in low light, but progressed to "no light." Think that scene near the end of "Silence of the Lambs." The RSO had to wear NVGs. The instructor told us at the beginning if we didn't have night sights, we were going to have a real problem in the course. Fortunately I did, but those that didn't were asking the instructor to borrow one of his guns halfway through.

What I learned was that fighting at night, your two big advantages are a front night sight and a medium-power handheld flashlight. Lasers, gun mounted lights, super bright flashlights, etc. turned out to be superfluous or even a hindrance in that class. Just MHO.
    My experiences exactly, and for god's sake if someone in the class has a light with a strobe feature, kill it.
    Holmes375 likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

What I do, that is, if I do a self installation, is leave the rear sight stock, and put on a front-night sight.

All i I want to see is that front sight anyway, unless I am shooting for groups. But I do find it useful.
    Same here...Front night sight only
    glockman10mm likes this.

You can buy just the single front night sight from Dawson Precision , or if it’s a Glock, you can get the OEM factory front night sight for about 40 bucks+/-, and it matches up perfectly with the factory rear.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    If you can't see your night sights during the day you're using the wrong night sights.

https://www.truglo.com/firearms-hand...gun-sights.asp

Also if I paid a gunsmith to install night sights and he broke them he'd be replacing them. The whole point of going to a Smith is so they WON'T break!

What sights did you buy?

You can buy just the single front night sight from Dawson Precision , or if it’s a Glock, you can get the OEM factory front night sight for about 40 bucks+/-, and it matches up perfectly with the factory rear.
    That is where i get mine..Good stuff....I know you don't like Kahr but i will say...Drifting a rear sight on a Kahr is a adventure...
    they have some of the tightest dovetails i have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    If you can't see your night sights during the day you're using the wrong night sights.

https://www.truglo.com/firearms-hand...gun-sights.asp

Also if I paid a gunsmith to install night sights and he broke them he'd be replacing them. The whole point of going to a Smith is so they WON'T break!

What sights did you buy?
    Changing sights is pretty easy if you have the right stuff and it pays for itself if you change a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    That is where i get mine..Good stuff....I know you don't like Kahr but i will say...Drifting a rear sight on a Kahr is a adventure...
    they have some of the tightest dovetails i have seen.
    I have never really had an opinion of the Kahr, because I never owned one.
    OldVet and msgt/ret like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I have never really had an opinion of the Kahr, because I never owned one.
    Everything I know about a Kahr I learned on the internet. I still don't know much except some love them, some hate them. Kind of like a Glock.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links