I don't like night sights

This is a discussion on I don't like night sights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A recent gun purchase with night sights was shooting a smidge right. I didn't want to send the gun back to the manufacturer, as I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: I don't like night sights

VIP Member

A recent gun purchase with night sights was shooting a smidge right. I didn't want to send the gun back to the manufacturer, as I'm impatient and I like to try to do things myself, so attempted to drift the front sight myself. I failed, as the front sight was tighter than a tick. In the process I broke the adhesive and the vial came loose.

I purchased a replacement, and had a smith install it. In the process - you guessed it - the adhesive broke and the vial came loose. It looked fine installed, but after 200 rounds the vial was pushed back into the sight from recoil.

The good news is the gun is now zeroed. Yes, I could complain to the smith that did the install, and maybe I'd get a new sight....and then I'd go through the replacement process all over again. So I said screw it. I took some JB weld, plugged the hole and let it dry. Next day I painted the JB Weld white. I noticed the white dot is a lot easier to pick up than the rear night sights. I'm thinking I'll just paint over the rear night sights, too. I'm a guy that likes symmetry.

The half life of tritium is 12.3 years, meaning in 12.3 years the sights will have dimmed 50%. I like this gun (Colt Defender Combat Elite 9mm, to go along with the .45 version) and I'll have it the rest of my life. Seems silly to have the dang sights replaced in 12 - 15 years. White paint is a lot cheaper, too.

I've never been impressed with night sights, and after this episode I'm a "no thanks" on them. Guess I'll never be an "operator," but I can live with that.
    OldVet, Mike1956, OldChap and 6 others like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member
    I use high gloss fingernail polish.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

DayGlo-orange paint works well for me. In dim light they still stand out. In the dark I can't see them, but I can't see the target either, soooo...
    MMinSC and bmcgilvray like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

What I do, that is, if I do a self installation, is leave the rear sight stock, and put on a front-night sight.

All i I want to see is that front sight anyway, unless I am shooting for groups. But I do find it useful.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I use a sight pusher, much easier to make slight changes and less likely to damage tritium vials.
    OD*, wmhawth, Old Man and 7 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I use a sight pusher, much easier to make slight changes and less likely to damage tritium vials.
    Got to get me one of those.
    Pete63 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Sounds like you might take a hiatus from home gunsmithing too!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I've done enough low light shooting to know I won't own a gun without night sights. To each his own.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Get a good one and make sure you can return it. I bought one that was not cheap and was supposed to be "universal." Turned out there was no way to use it on the gun I had. I have taken to just getting a gunsmith to install dovetail night sights. I think would need to be replacing sights on half dozen guns to make a really good pusher worth the expense.

Back to night sights, I took an "Advanced Low Light" course that was one of the best shooting courses I've taken. We started in low light, but progressed to "no light." Think that scene near the end of "Silence of the Lambs." The RSO had to wear NVGs. The instructor told us at the beginning if we didn't have night sights, we were going to have a real problem in the course. Fortunately I did, but those that didn't were asking the instructor to borrow one of his guns halfway through.

What I learned was that fighting at night, your two big advantages are a front night sight and a medium-power handheld flashlight. Lasers, gun mounted lights, super bright flashlights, etc. turned out to be superfluous or even a hindrance in that class. Just MHO.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Same here. As with my vehicles, I let no one touch my stuff. @PEF , perhaps you've been lurking lately, but it's good to see you here.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I use high gloss fingernail polish.
    On a few of my guns, I've done the same. Easy to touch up, as a bottle lasts "forever"!
    Mike1956 likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I got mine on AmazonSmile, not very expensive. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=sight+p...b_sb_ss_i_3_12
    Pete63 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I dont like night sight either. I much rather have fiber optics for day and low light situations. Think about it in a life and death situation where your heart rate, Adrenalin and nerves are going a million miles a minute I really dont think most people will be able to get a very good sight picture especially with night sights. It will be more like just getting the front sight on target as fast as possible and squeezing of several rounds in quick succession. I think night sights are way over rated and way to expensive.

Distinguished Member
    I've been known to take Glow-On and paint my front sights on the couple weapons that do not have factory night sights. I don't find the night sights particularly harder to see than regular ones in daylight but I do find regular sights a fair bit harder to see in dim light. Bad gun smithing skills by someone you paid is not a great reason to condemn night sights IMHO.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

VIP Member
    Tried it. So did the smith. Had to resort to a vise, a big hammer, and an aluminum punch. Colt puts them in tight.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links