Armored backpacks...any experience? - Page 2

Armored backpacks...any experience?

This is a discussion on Armored backpacks...any experience? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Backpacks, meh. There's too much of me to hide behind any backpack. Get this--...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Armored backpacks...any experience?

Backpacks, meh. There's too much of me to hide behind any backpack.

Get this--
    Name:  ht.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  12.5 KB
    Mark_in_wi, TSKnight and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    My friend Tyler at AR500 Armor just released their new level IIIA backpack for $119.
    This was one of the packs I'm interested in. The packs don't scream "look at me" which is one of the things I'm looking for. I was thinking about preordering the larger panel pack since I've never been called petite. I also like the idea mentioned about just ordering a panel that can be moved from pack to pack.

I'm still looking at options. Also trying to decide if I want to go with a level IIIa or III or both.
    QKShooter and OldChap like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Found the two 45Colt bullets that I fired. They are 200grn Winchester Silvertip.
    The picture isn't real good, but if you look close you can see the thread pattern from the ballistic panel.

Name:  1565793332381.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  18.3 KB
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Found the two 45Colt bullets that I fired. They are 200grn Winchester Silvertip.
    The picture isn't real good, but if you look close you can see the thread pattern from the ballistic panel.

Name:  1565793332381.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  18.3 KB
    I've been wondering about a trauma pad behind the armor in a backpack. The old engineer in me says it might not be as effective as a trauma pad next to the torso...but I have nothing to confirm or deny that assumption. Have you ever done any testing to see what happens to a trauma pad without a human torso behind it?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I've been wondering about a trauma pad behind the armor in a backpack. The old engineer in me says it might not be as effective as a trauma pad next to the torso...but I have nothing to confirm or deny that assumption. Have you ever done any testing to see what happens to a trauma pad without a human torso behind it?
    Hmm, good question.
    I didn't have a trauma pad to use.
    From what I remember, there was a 3-4 inch depression in the bale from these.
    The 30-30 round was driven into the bale 6-8 inches with the panel wrapped around the bullet. Thought I kept that bullet too, but it wasn't with the others.

That is one reason I changed the location of the ballistic panel so all the stuff that is normally in the backpack is behind the panel rather than the panel being next to the body.
    OldChap likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

@TSKnight Now I'm curious. I guess next time I talk to the guys at AR-500 I'll see if they have any advice.

My bag could be slipped over my neck in an emergency, so maybe a trauma pad would be a good idea. Thanks for the good information.

BTW...I guess I would be more concerned about the trauma pad issue with the IIIA rather than the III+ LW.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Stop's pistol rounds, but the nutcases are using Mil-Spec 5.56X45. In AR15s. They will go right through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links