Armored backpacks...any experience?

This is a discussion on Armored backpacks...any experience? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been pondering the idea or one of these for the last year or so and was wondering if anyone here has had any ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Armored backpacks...any experience?

I have been pondering the idea or one of these for the last year or so and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience, good or bad. I have only been casually looking and hoped that maybe someone here might have some insight. There are panels that can be bought and installed into existing packs and backpacks with the panel that have already been sewn in. I was hoping to hear from anyone that has experience with either option. Was the extra weight of the panel/plate noticeable and how well did everthing stay in Place? The weight and comfort are being brought up with the thinking along the same lines as; "a small gun in the pocket is better than the full sized at home in the safe." If the pack weights 10-12 pounds empty I'm not sure how much I'll want to use when I add another 20 pounds. I do know that it the armor needs to meet the certification standards. I think I'm leaning toward level IIIa mainly due to the weight involved to move up to III. I did see a level III plate disguised as a clipboard but I think t is still ten pounds.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Distinguished Member
    There was a thread here about this sometime this Summer. Try the search.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I have a ballistic panel that I slide into the laptop sleeve in any bag I'm carrying. I don't see the point in buying a backpack with built in armor, mainly due to lack of versatility. Backpacks wear out, get stained or get ruined. With a panel, you can move it from bag to bag. You don't have to be married to a single backpack that may not be appropriate for all situations. Most bags of a certain size now have a laptop sleeve.
    MMinSC, 10thmtn and viney266 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    These days you might want to consider the Carbon Nanotube technology for weight reduction.
    OldChap likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    These days you might want to consider the Carbon Nanotube technology for weight reduction.
    I haven't seen this yet. I'll have to check...any links?

Here is one

https://citizenarmor.com/product/bul...of-bag-insert/

They are light weight (less than a pound) and are IIIA rated, but are not cheap ($140.00+).

I am curious how much benefit you would get from doubling up with 2 IIIA inserts...

One of my family members posted about this on Facebook the other day. Here are my thoughts. What I saw in the link was expensive and the armor protection is not all that good. For armor to maintain its integrity it canít be dropped and thrown like so many backpacks are. For the money, I think someone would be better off buying a normal backpack that has a laptop compartment, and a better quality level 3 or 4 plate to go in it. You will get more protection out of it, it will look like a normal backpack, and the cost will be comparable. If we are so focused on active shooters with rifles, we shouldnít be using armor thatís not meant to protect against rifles.
    OldChap and graydude like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I use this, not as a backpack per se, but as an easily carried shield and carrier for a Sub-2000 40 S&W Pistol Caliber Carbine.

Name:  SwissGear Messenger.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  9.4 KB

I have two kinds of armor for it: a Level IIIA 11x15 soft "backpack" armor that weighs 1.6 pounds and you hardly notice it at all. The IIIA protects up to a 44 Magnum.

For times when I think I might want greater protection I use an 11x15 Level III+ Lightweight steel plate that weighs 11.5 pounds. It is, obviously, a lot more noticeable carry-wise, but protects against 7.62x39, 308, and up to 5.56 M855.

The level IIIA gets used most times since I can carry it figuring I will only need the services of the Sub-2000 and not so much the armor. When we have to go to more dangerous parts of town, the level III+ LW gets the nod.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Administrator
    Bad Link

Just search ar500armor.com
    Mark_in_wi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This article from 2019 sort of explains why many do not offer Carbon Nanotube armor.

https://www.quora.com/Why-havent-Car...become-popular

Others back in 2017 claimed it would be some kind of "miracle" additive for Kevlar. I don't see anyone offering vests with such technology.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/...007057.article

One paragraph though is particularly puzzling (for obvious reasons):

A stab vest made from this material could add an extra layer of protection by automatically calling for backup or medical assistance.
    Hmmmmm....quite a trick.

For those who want to spend an afternoon reading about armor, I offer this lengthy treatise:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...14914718305932

Currently, the highest levels of protection seem to be utilizing UHMWPE - Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My friend Tyler at AR500 Armor just released their new level IIIA backpack for $119.

OldChap, OneGunTX and viney266 like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Administrator
    Absolutely - folks need to do their own research. Your life may depend on it.

Yeah...I thought the AR 500 backpack with its integral armor was super fairly priced.

I've paid more than that for a good quality plain pack.

I did insert an OM Tactical 5X8 (small) (years ago) - soft IIIa in my pack but, it's only large enough to cover the pumper.

I think (right now) that it must be well beyond the expiration date but it's never been exposed to excessive heat or U.V. or bent up so...it's very likely not degraded at all.

I should really be looking be looking for a larger fresh replacement.

Oh well, - My philosophy...Why do today what can be put off until some future point in time?
    OldChap likes this.

I know people who have bought ballistic sheets and just put them in the pack.

https://bulletsafe.com/products/bull...backpack-panel
    QKShooter likes this.

Or...

Just carry lots of books!
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...backpacks.html

Previous thread on ballistic panels in backpacks.
    Below is my post from that thread.
    I had 4 Second Chance IIIA panels all with expiration dates in the late 90's. The one I shot last summer expired in 1998.
    It stopped 9mm, 45Colt from 10ft and 30-30 from 50yds. .22lr from 10ft and .223 from 50yds passed through.
    The 45Colt, 30-30, and.223 were fired at the bare panel held against a round bale.

If a panel has not been subjected to extreme heat or moisture, or lots of flexing, it will perform well past the expiration date. Maybe not like new, but definitely better than nothing.

My Daughter has had an old Second Chance IIIA ballistic panel in her backpack for 3-4 years now. I move it each time her backpack is replaced. Always choosing backpacks that have a way to accommodate the panel without being obvious.

Shot one of her old backpacks last summer.
    I changed how I chose her new backpack last fall because of something I found out quite by accident. Rather than taking the time to place the ballistic panel against the back like I have been doing. I just tucked it in the main compartment in front of some things that she would normally carry including a Samsung Galaxy tablet that was junk.
    Five rounds of 9mm 115grn fmj from 10 feet. No penetration and the tablet took the brunt of the cavitation much like a trauma pad would in a ballistic vest.
    Just for comparison, I tried 22lr from a rifle at 10 feet. It cleared the ballistic panel and was stopped by the tablet.
    QKShooter and OldChap like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links