Targets - Page 4

Targets

This is a discussion on Targets within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LimaCharlie The five shot group on the lower-right diamond is mine. I thought was your 50 shot group?...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Targets

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The five shot group on the lower-right diamond is mine.
    I thought was your 50 shot group?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How does a paper plate provide a better size proportion than a life-sized representation of an actual person?
    Because it narrows the size of the target area down significantly so that the shooter is forced to place their shots within a smaller perimeter.

The dimensions of the 9 ring is 200mm by 300mm, or roughly 7.5 x 11.5 inches +/-. The overall silhouette is something like 24 inches across by 45 inches high. That is a huge area, and 24 inches, or even 20 inches across is a huge area; much wider than the average person, especially taking in to account that the body is rounded, not flat like a paper target. Add in the fact that it represents the perfect frontal area, and that one’s shot may need to be made at a sideways area, and it is for that reason that I find using the smaller dimensions of a paper plate to narrow down the shot opportunity to be much more product for my purposes that oversized silhouette style targets.

They also very well represent the kill zone on large game, and the paper plate size practice was instrumental in my taking numerous game animals at over 100 yards with handguns over the years, including a Blue Wildebeest years ago in Zambia with a 4 5/8 inch barrel 41 mag at just under 120 yards or so.

This pic represents practice with movement, both strong and weak hand shooting. The vast majority of these would be in the 10 ring on a standard B27 scoring target.
    Targets-013fb825-7edf-48a3-b20d-779e50d0e46b.jpeg

Sometimes, instead of using the plates, I cut my targets down to reduce my margin for error, like I did in this video. They are , 11 wide by 14(?) tall. I could have been much faster on the hits if that had of been my only goal, but I’m trying to keep groups tight, such as demonstrate here in the video.
    Of course, what works for you is largely dependent on what you want to achieve. For me the “ aim small, miss small” methodology has worked very well over a varied genre of styles
    airslot, TSKnight and JAG45 like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny53 View Post
    That is a good deal. Just wondering what is your range fee. I pay $12 for an hour.
    I bought a gun there last week and have 14 days of free range time. I am retired so I am taking full advantage of that.
    Was 10 bucks last year. Don’t know about it now.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Because it narrows the size of the target area down significantly so that the shooter is forced to place their shots within a smaller perimeter.

The dimensions of the 9 ring is 200mm by 300mm, or roughly 7.5 x 11.5 inches +/-. The overall silhouette is something like 24 inches across by 45 inches high. That is a huge area, and 24 inches, or even 20 inches across is a huge area; much wider than the average person, especially taking in to account that the body is rounded, not flat like a paper target. Add in the fact that it represents the perfect frontal area, and that one’s shot may need to be made at a sideways area, and it is for that reason that I find using the smaller dimensions of a paper plate to narrow down the shot opportunity to be much more product for my purposes that oversized silhouette style targets.

They also very well represent the kill zone on large game, and the paper plate size practice was instrumental in my taking numerous game animals at over 100 yards with handguns over the years, including a Blue Wildebeest years ago in Zambia with a 4 5/8 inch barrel 41 mag at just under 120 yards or so.

This pic represents practice with movement, both strong and weak hand shooting. The vast majority of these would be in the 10 ring on a standard B27 scoring target.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013FB825-7EDF-48A3-B20D-779E50D0E46B.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	300388

Sometimes, instead of using the plates, I cut my targets down to reduce my margin for error, like I did in this video. They are , 11 wide by 14(?) tall. I could have been much faster on the hits if that had of been my only goal, but I’m trying to keep groups tight, such as demonstrate here in the video.
    Of course, what works for you is largely dependent on what you want to achieve. For me the “ aim small, miss small” methodology has worked very well over a varied genre of styles
    If smaller really is better, perhaps, but we've already been down that road on the speed vs accuracy thread.

Honestly, I started this thread intending only to put up what I believe to be very good targets for the price.
    airslot likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

If smaller really is better, perhaps, but we've already been down that road on the speed vs accuracy thread.

Honestly, I started this thread intending only to put up what I believe to be very good targets for the price.
    Ok, just trying to answer your question.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Bullseye versus combat accuracy.
    Mike1956 and AzQkr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Yep nothing chaps my hide like going to family get together where cheap paper plates
    are deployed.
    I triple up on those plates, no need to get chapped about it LOL

I've used paper plates, steel plates the size of a head, steel plates the size of a mans chest, beer/soda cans, tennis balls, golf balls, 1" dot stickers, etc. in the past. I'm not a bulls eye shooter, but I can shoot bulls eyes having a command of the basics.
    G-man*, Mike1956, airslot and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I like to use these 12"×18" targets and blue painters tape to cover the holes and make my targets last longer.

I like knowing exactly where every bullet hits the target. I'll shoot a cylinder, then tape it up and do it again. Sometimes I'll take a picture of the target with my cellphone before I tape it up so I can analyze It later at home, especially when testing new homemade loads such as this one pictured.

I also like use paper plates.
    Smurfs everywhere would call you racist.

Lol !
    Ya, that's the world we live in now. Maybe I should just stick with paper plates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Targets-screenshot_20190808-193025_gallery_1565893549101.jpg  

So they aren't making much money selling targets.
    No they don't make much on Targets, I went to the range yesterday and my scary guy was a $1.00.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Ordered some steel today and t-post hangers.
    Mike1956 and AzQkr like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

The past couple of years I have been using this target:
    https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...ost-target.asp

I have a template that looks kind of like a big donut, the outer dimension is an 8" circle and the inner dimension is a 4" circle.
    I draw the 8" in the upper torso of the silhouette and the 4" circle in the head zone.
    I will also draw two other 4" circles above the two shoulders, use these for slow fire/accuracy drills.

Other targets that I like from Action Targets are:
    https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...cal-target.asp
    https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...oto-target.asp
    https://shop.actiontarget.com/pc_pro...7BEF9EF6783854
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I just print them when I want them:

https://www.targets.ws/

Otherwise if I'm stuck going to an indoor range (winter) pretty much every place around me you have to buy what they carry, and they price gouge.

I think next on the agenda is to quit screwing around and just go in with some other shooting buds and buy some portable steel plates.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links