For When the Lights Go Out

For When the Lights Go Out

This is a discussion on For When the Lights Go Out within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't like sitting in the dark during a power failure, cause it's scary. So I talked to Wolfie about it and he and I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: For When the Lights Go Out

Cool For When the Lights Go Out

I don't like sitting in the dark during a power failure, cause it's scary. So I talked to Wolfie about it and he and I decided to get matching LED lanterns and LED flashlights that really brighten things up when it gets dark.

The Lex-Pro, adjustable 1,000 lumen lanterns are both rechargeable as well as battery powered. And the diffuser equipped 1,000 lumen flashlights are AA battery powered and have several different emergency signals that can be activated.

QKShooter, Wolf357, CG11 and 7 others like this.

I have a few similar in my hurricane kit, love how much longer the LEDs last compared to the old incandescents.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

When things go dark good light sources are invaluable. Looks like you are well prepared.
    QKShooter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've got similar, buuuuuuut also a 20KW whole house standby generator with 500 gallons of propane in an underground tank.

Before we built our house we bought our property. The 1st year we owned our acreage there was an area wide ice storm that knocked down the power line right in front of what is now our front yard. Almost 3 weeks later, they fixed it. A gravel road with 6 houses total on it just isn't much of a priority when compared to 10s of 1000s in Kansas City.

The standby generator was put on the "new house list" right after that.
    homo homini lupus est

Well you are probably ahead of me in technology world. I am still using Coleman lanterns when our power goes out. A few bottles of pressurized gas can keep me running for a long time, but I really don't like using them long-term inside the house, plus it's a royal PITA to change mantles.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

I got a bunch of candles.
    M1911A1 and QKShooter like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I grab the solar lights from the yard.
    Put them back in the morning to recharge

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Marc_Brooks and QKShooter like this.

I have a couple of 10-80K Mah battery packs. Most of them have an inbuilt led light. I can turn the light on my 10k Mah pack for 3 days before it drops 25%. Its great. At nights its enough to light a room, but not blind everyone. Im the sorta guy who is never without my tech, so I even have the ones with the built in AC 110v 3 prong plugs as well.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    This is my light for when the lights go out...

Poorly and msgt/ret like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Administrator
    I have bunches of super cheap Chinese unbranded Cree flashlights that take a single AA battery.

I bought a few lots of 6 for $16.00 because...I figure that other folks are going to need light if &when the lights go out.

Cheap enough that I can either give them away or barter with them.

They are not super bright and the light has a decidedly blue tint but, they work....which is all that anybody will care about.
    BamaT and OldChap like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

We’re a little low tech right now for room illumination, relying on candles and oil lamps. I do, however have a Fenix PD35 LED 1000 lumen 6 mode flashlight running on 18650 rechargeable batteries, and I always have 4 with fresh charge. At a slightly lower lumen level, the batteries will easily run for several hours, however in typical usage you don’t run it continually. I also have several inexpensive LED lower powered lights and plenty of batteries. I would like to get a couple of top tier LED lanterns to replace the candles and oil lamps.
    NRA Life Member

We've got flashlights, and two LED lanterns which burn forever on a couple of batteries.
    But our main source of emergency light is oil lamps: We have three, all quite bright for what they are.
    One has a reflector, which makes it good for reading.

More important up here in the Great North-Wet is heat.
    We have two efficient wood stoves, and about three cords of firewood to put into them.
    Three cords of wood will keep us warm all winter long, with enough left over to give us a good start for the next winter.
    goldshellback, OldChap and BamaT like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Administrator
    Center a wick in a large can of Crisco & you'll have a candle that will burn for 30 days.

Interesting F.Y.I.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    CandlePowerForums

You're welcome. Errrr...... I'm sorry. Depends if you catch the flashlight bug after visiting cpf.

You'll find excuses to purchase a new light. The last one I shopped for was one that lives by the front door that I use when I take the dogs out at night. Would one of my other lights have worked? Absolutely, but I wanted one to never be by the front door when I needed it. So that's where it lives.

VIP Member
    Can't ever have too many light sources that aren't dependent on the electrical grid. I am well armed in that regard, but I'm definitely not such an aficionado that I'd join a separate forum devoted to them.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links