Looking for semi auto handgun red dot/reflex sight recommendations....

This is a discussion on Looking for semi auto handgun red dot/reflex sight recommendations.... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to red dots/reflex sights for semi auto handguns and would like recommendations from experienced users. This would not be for a SD carry gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Looking for semi auto handgun red dot/reflex sight recommendations....

VIP Member

New to red dots/reflex sights for semi auto handguns and would like recommendations from experienced users. This would not be for a SD carry gun, rather more for range and field duty. Would like to keep the price relatively low as opposed to a high end optic. Caliber could be 9mm all the way up to 10mm.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rockymonster; October 9th, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

VIP Member
    No pistol reflex/red dot sight users out there?! There’s at least a couple of you!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Mike1956 has a Performance Center Shield with a S&W branded red dot. Maybe he'll be along in a bit to share his experience with that combo. I'm interested in this subject also. Seems there are 3 mounting options for red dots. 1. Buy a mount that replaces the rear sight. 2. Buy a pre-milled firearm or slide that mounts the red dot flush. 3. Send your slide off to have it milled to accept a red dot. Option 1 is the least expensive but may not be as durable long term. Looking foward to hearing the response from fellow forum members.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Best full-size bang for the buck has to be the Sig P320 RX with a Romeo1 on top. When you combine the added cost of most optics plus suppressor height irons, you'll be hundreds below that of just any other equivalent.

Looking for semi auto handgun red dot/reflex sight recommendations....-20190726_114407-copy.jpgLooking for semi auto handgun red dot/reflex sight recommendations....-20190726_114354-copy.jpg
    Rockymonster, MMinSC and gasmitty like this.

I recently got an XDm-10 OSP and put a Vortex Venom on it.

This gun is what I've started carrying as backup while bow hunting. The Vortex has manual and automatic intensity adjustment. After about 500 rounds it has worked fine with no change in POI. It's plenty accurate as I've been getting okay groups out to 100 yards; the gun and optic are certainly capable of more than I can do.

The Vortex isn't as robust as the RMR, but its sufficient and about half the cost, and the glass is clear rather than imparting an odd shade.

Two thumbs up from me.

For defensive concealed carry I prefer the Shield RMS and RMSc, but for field and target use the adjustable brightness the Vortex has may be preferred.

Here's the setup and some 100 yard targets.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I recently got an XDm-10 OSP and put a Vortex Venom on it.

This gun is what I've started carrying as backup while bow hunting. The Vortex has manual and automatic intensity adjustment. After about 500 rounds it has worked fine with no change in POI. It's plenty accurate as I've been getting okay groups out to 100 yards; the gun and optic are certainly capable of more than I can do.

The Vortex isn't as robust as the RMR, but its sufficient and about half the cost, and the glass is clear rather than imparting an odd shade.

Two thumbs up from me.

For defensive concealed carry I prefer the Shield RMS and RMSc, but for field and target use the adjustable brightness the Vortex has may be preferred.

Here's the setup and some 100 yard targets.
    I was hoping you would chime in. Saw your post on another thread with the Nelson shoulder holster and targets. I really like what you did, so I’m looking for a setup very similar to what you put together. Thanks for the critique!
    graydude and Rock and Glock like this.

I’m relatively new to pistol optics, having only tried a bit over a year due to eye issues. One of the better info sources I used to build my knowledge is the Sage Dynamics YouTube channel with Erin Cowan (sp?) who torture tests pistol optics. He’s an RMR fan, but gives a fair treatment it seems when reviewing most red dots.

I also have Shield red dots on an XD-9 Mod.2 subcompact (RMS) and an XDS-9 (RMSc). The Shield sights are small and low enough that when my slides were milled I can cowitness with stock iron sights, no swap to suppressor height sights needed. Great for concealed carry.

The XDm OSP guns come with suppressor height sights that cowitness with the Vortex and similar height optics, so I gave that a shot. So far so good.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Here's an earlier thread on RDS mounted to a pistol.
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...arry-guns.html

I'll try to add a few comments when I have more time.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I don’t use them and prefer to keep my stuff simple, but I do know there are those who find them to their liking.

Good luck!
    Rockymonster likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I really like my P320 RX with the X-Carry grip module. I plan to have my XDS 4inch 45 milled for a Jpoint as I carry that gun often.

ATTACH=CONFIG]303810[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for semi auto handgun red dot/reflex sight recommendations....-sigrx.jpg  

It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Senior Moderator
    Sig's Romeo1 has become quite popular with the Carry Optics shooters in the games. I think it hits the sweet spot between affordability and reliability, but at about $300 it's a bit pricey for some.
    Last edited by gasmitty; October 10th, 2019 at 11:28 PM.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Sig's Romeo1 has become quire popular with the Carry Optics shooters in the games. I think it hits the sweet spot between affordability and reliability, but at about $300 it's a bit pricey for some.
    People can do better than $300 if they shop. I bought the RX X-change kit when it was on sale for $499. That included the Romeo1, complete slide assembly with barrel and suppressor height sights, grip module and one magazine. Everything except the FCU. Purchasing the whole kit was good for me because I could sell of my original slide, barrel, the new grip module to help pay for it. I had a 25% coupon code with Sig so I ended up breaking even with a free mag, optic and suppressor height sights. Even without the coupon it would have been a good deal since I do not mind selling a few parts on eBay. For just the Romeo1 optic, I have seen them on sale for around $225 before. That's not bad at all but i needed the milled slide.

Quote Originally Posted by SunTsu View Post
    Best full-size bang for the buck has to be the Sig P320 RX with a Romeo1 on top. When you combine the added cost of most optics plus suppressor height irons, you'll be hundreds below that of just any other equivalent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190726_114407 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	303800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190726_114354 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	303802
    He ain't lying. Found mine for $650 which I thought was fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    He ain't lying. Found mine for $650 which I thought was fair.
    Yeah, hard to beat that price for the hole setup. Mine has definitely made me a RDS convert.

Started looking into a Holosun 508T Titanium...seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.
    TSKnight and Rockymonster like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links