The RMT and why you should carry a tourniquet

This is a discussion on The RMT and why you should carry a tourniquet within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tourniquets have always been a necessity for the soldier and the law enforcement officer, not just for self care, but for buddy care and for ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The RMT and why you should carry a tourniquet

Tourniquets have always been a necessity for the soldier and the law enforcement officer, not just for self care, but for buddy care and for citizen care. Since the boom of the civilian / law enforcement, 2A / training industry, there have been a lot of new tourniquets which have been released and this has caused a lot of commotion. Tourniquets, for some, are almost like being associated with a cult of some kind. Those who like NAR CAT tourniquets will argue with those who like TacMed SOF Tourniquets and everything in between.
    read the full article here -> https://www.vdmsr.com/2019/10/the-rm...uld-carry.html

VIP Member
    Good article....

How many DC folks carry some sort of tourniquet?
    Last edited by Rockymonster; October 17th, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
    voodoo_man and OldChap like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.Ē - Joe Lewis

ďIím not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a Ďlittleí dirty.....Ē

Member: GOA, SAF

Distinguished Member
    One with my go bag, one with my range bag, two in the car, two with the 1st aid kit at home, one in my office drawer.
    Rockymonster, OldChap and BCC73 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nice Article

I drink too much beer....Thins the blood too much for one

We carry this one...for me.

https://store.doomandbloom.net/first...und-grab-n-go/

Mrs OldChap, after 27 years as an ER RN with special training out the wazoo, always fusses at me and says we don't need one. Well, my reasoning is that if she goes down, all that knowledge about where stuff is and how to apply it goes down with her. If one of our great grandkids goes down and she isn't there, it's up to me. It has been far too many years since I took the EMT training to remember everything. So the kit it is. And if we need it one day, it will be money well spent.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    One in the first aid kit I keep in the Jeep
    OldChap likes this.

A sof-t tourniquet in QR attachment on outside of my go bag with chest seals, Israeli bandage, clotting powder and gloves inside the first large pocket. When I go to practice, matches or training the sof-t attaches to the outside of my shooting bag, the other goodies are in large side pocket. The go bag lives on the truckís back seat, our only vehicle.

Iím interested in RMT but the first info Iíve read from vdmsr web site leaves me in the dark about how itís deployed. Iíll pursue, it sounds good. Thanks for the post @voodoo_man

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

A tourniquet is simple to apply and cheap to obtain. Might save a life someday. Might even save yours. No good reason not to have one nearby. Thanks for the reminder voodoo_man.

I carry one in my motorcycle jacket, along with a clotting wound dressing and a puncture wound patch. I have been trained on them. But I don't carry that stuff on me all the time. We were taught in the Navy how to improvise tourniquets, wound dressings and puncture patches from belts, shirts and wallet cards. Yeah, I've heard it before: It's not as good as the real thing. No, it's not, but it's good enough if you know what you're doing. I am not going to walk around with my pockets full of medical supplies.

My plan is to make the other guy need the medical supplies, at which point, I won't have anything to offer him!
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I carry a gun shot wound kit, which includes a Soft-T tourniquet (among other things), in my range bag, in our truck, in my hunting pack, in our mini-jeep (Roxor) around town, and a tourniquet on my person while volunteering for our sheriff's office.
    Rockymonster and OldChap like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

I keep a trauma bag in my truck that has a couple different types of tourniquets in it. This Ratcheting mechanism looks just like a snowboard binding and my snowboarding experience would make me think twice about if I want something like that to be the difference in me bleeding out or not. I see he talks about other tourniquets being one use. If someone ie bleeding out there is going to be blood all over that tourniquet. If my family is in a wreck and EMS shows up and puts a tourniquet thatís already covered in someone elseís blood on them, thatís unacceptable. One of the tourniquets in my bag has a thick metal windlass. I donít see anything deteriorating and breaking on that tourniquet from repeated practice faster than this tourniquet would.
    OldChap likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    I carry a CAT, hemostatic gauze, and trauma dressing in a cargo pocket or on the belt.

Iíve tried the SOF-T and found it more difficult for self-aid than the CAT. I just received one of the newly recommended TX2 Tourniquets and am going to see how I like it, then may carry it instead of the CAT.
    OldChap likes this.

I keep a mini trauma kit on my gun belt. Tourniquet, Celox Rapid gauze, chest seal, Israeli bandage, gloves and scissors.
    I have a little larger kit in my primary range bag.
    I have much larger more comprehensive kits in my vehicles.
    I have a large storage cabinet of supplies at home.
    My wife and I have taken all the TECC classes we can locally. I want to learn more, a friend and I are considering taking night EMT classes at the local college next semester.

Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    A sof-t tourniquet in QR attachment on outside of my go bag with chest seals, Israeli bandage, clotting powder and gloves inside the first large pocket. When I go to practice, matches or training the sof-t attaches to the outside of my shooting bag, the other goodies are in large side pocket. The go bag lives on the truckís back seat, our only vehicle.

Iím interested in RMT but the first info Iíve read from vdmsr web site leaves me in the dark about how itís deployed. Iíll pursue, it sounds good. Thanks for the post <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
    @<b><a href="https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/member.php?u=90084" target="_blank">voodoo_man</a></b>
    <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
    Video posted in the article shows pretty much everything to do with deploying the TQ...in case others are interested:

SAXDM9 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links