Electronic Hearing Protection - Page 2

Electronic Hearing Protection

This is a discussion on Electronic Hearing Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The problem with using only in the ear protection, whether plain or electronic, is that the small bones and the bone area immediately in back ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Electronic Hearing Protection

VIP Member
    The problem with using only in the ear protection, whether plain or electronic, is that the small bones and the bone area immediately in back of your dar is not protected. Your hearing can be severely damaged over time if the area surrounding your actual ear is not protected.

I use electronic ear muffs - the highest noise reduction rating I can find that sill has enough volume to enable ME to hear when they are turned on. Most of the more expensive brands do not get anywhere near enough volume for me, even when turned to high. At indoor ranges I ALWAYS wear in the ear foam or baffled protectors with my electronic muffs on top.

This is the one that works best for me:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    As stated in my product review, the smell was HORRIBLE for several months. I've had them for 2 years. They are OK now.

I had a pair of Pro Ears that I sent back because I could not get anywhere enough volume to hear range commands.
    OldChap, OD*, CavemanBob and 2 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Ex Member
    @ShooterGranny ,

Because hearing loss is a part of my life, I am compelled to offer a different opinion about hearing loss that that which you wrote in the above quote. I do not want others to make assumptions about hearing loss since there is volumes of clinical information about that subject. There is also much bad information about hearing loss on thee Internet.

I wear hearing aids in both ears. The hearing in my left ear is severely compromised and in my right ear is is moderately compromised. The right ear is due to age not injury. The left ear is due to conclusive injury from an artillery shell burst that cause immediate injury which resulted in decades long deterioration.

Due to my hearing loss I took great interest I the causes and treatments for it. I have never seen clinical e=writings that attribute hearing loss to bone conduction, which is what you are referring to. I just spent 30 minutes looking again in case something new had been published. There is nothing out there that I can fins to support your warning.

Bone conduction is used to treat hearing loss that is total or near total in either or both ears. By amplifying sound and sending to a receiver attached to the bone the sound vibrations are sensed by the brain but not through the normal hearing channel. Rush Limbaugh has a Choclear implant since he is almost totally deaf. If you watched him you would see a device near the bone you describe. It sends sound vibration through bone conduction, but it bypasses the normal hearing channel entirely.

The causes of hearing loss are well documented. I have linked to two such articles from highly authoritative sources. Neither lists bone conduction as a cause. If you have a clinical source for your opinion, please sent it to me. If I am wrong I want to know it.

There are numerous other reports that back up the two articles thatI have looked to.

From the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...oss-in-Adults/

From the Mayo Clinic

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373072

I've had Peltor Tactical Sport for almost 6 years. I have used them with rifle, carbine, shotgun, and pistol. They work well.
    OD*, OldChap, flintlock62 and 1 others like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    ....The causes of hearing loss are well documented. I have linked to two such articles from highly authoritative sources. Neither lists bone conduction as a cause. If you have a clinical source for your opinion, please sent it to me. If I am wrong I want to know it.
    I think you may need to look over the scientific data some more. There are tiny bones in the inner ear that are involved in hearing and consequently, when damaged, can contribute to hearing loss.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noi...d-hearing-loss
    OD* likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    @ShooterGranny ,

I have linked to two such articles from highly authoritative sources. Neither lists bone conduction as a cause. If you have a clinical source for your opinion, please sent it to me. If I am wrong I want to know it.
    OK, thanks for the links. The first one did not work at all and the second one hopped from one picture to the next so fast that I had to keep clicking on the back arrow on the picture in order to read the words. The link from @OldChap worked and contained all the information in the other link, but in written format that could be read easily.

The second article does say "wear ear plugs or ear muffs" so obviously somewhere along the line I got some not-so-accurate information. Since I also wear hearing aids, I choose to cover all bases by using both ear plugs and ear muffs where there will be super loud noise, like at an indoor range.

==================

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I've had Peltor Tactical Sport for almost 6 years. I have used them with rifle, carbine, shotgun, and pistol. They work well.
    I have to agree. I purchased the gel cups to go with them. They're expensive, but if you wear eyeglasses, they seal best.
    G26Raven and OD* like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Great Christmas ideas!

Heís got a bag of cotton balls and some camo print duck tape left that I got him last years for his Christmas ear protection, not sure why heís getting picky now and wanting electronic things itís not like Iím made out of money

😉
    Pete63 and ShooterGranny like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Great Christmas ideas!

Heís got a bag of cotton balls and some camo print duck tape left that I got him last years for his Christmas ear protection, not sure why heís getting picky now and wanting electronic things itís not like Iím made out of money

😉
    NO, you're NOT! And it doesn't matter anyway, because in a year or so, what he doesn't hear, can't hurt him!
    Sister likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Great Christmas ideas!

😉
    Ask for a raise in your allowance and assure him it is going for a good cause.
    Pete63 and Sister like this.

==================

If I hadnít bought the Leight Impact Pro cans, I think Iíd be happier with the more compact Leight Sport cans for same price. In three years on my Impact Pros, using them almost every month, Iíve replaced the AAA batteries once. Theyíre bulky but have an awesome NRR. Great audibility of conversation with these.

Like some others on DC, Iím trying out the battery-free OTIS EarShield. I have the NRR-26 version, would go for the higher rating next time. Super lightweight, foldable to pocket-size, and comfortable on my head.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I have to agree. I purchased the gel cups to go with them. They're expensive, but if you wear eyeglasses, they seal best.
    Do the gel cups make them more comfortable when wearing eyeglasses? I use 'muffs when mowing, snowblowing, chainsawing, etc. The worst part is the temple pressure, and trying to keep the glasses in their "normal" position.

Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Do the gel cups make them more comfortable when wearing eyeglasses? I use 'muffs when mowing, snowblowing, chainsawing, etc. The worst part is the temple pressure, and trying to keep the glasses in their "normal" position.
    Absolutely! The gel forms around the temples and does a better job of sealing off outside noise. I find it easier to keep my glasses in their normal position. You will still sense a slight amount of pressure, but it's much better than the OEM pads.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links