Do you know what to do in self defence? With a folding knife? - Page 2

Do you know what to do in self defence? With a folding knife?

This is a discussion on Do you know what to do in self defence? With a folding knife? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure there are some very sophisticated moves trained knife fighters have that I have never been trained on. I do have 25 years of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Do you know what to do in self defence? With a folding knife?

I'm sure there are some very sophisticated moves trained knife fighters have that I have never been trained on. I do have 25 years of H2H training and the best advice I've heard for someone with some H2H skills is to use any weapon as an extension of empty handed moves, because you know those moves and they are in muscle memory. Also, most of the of the empty hand targets are going to be good targets for a knife. So instead of a jab-cross, it could be a jab-stab. Instead of a down block, it could be a downward parry with the blade.

The main thing I've been taught about that situation is the effects of "weapon fixation." It is really easy to focus only on your weapon and forget you have another hand to block and strike with and two legs to kick with. You don't want the opponent worried about your knife. You want them worried about other things so the knife can strike more easily.

Conversely, the attacker may have weapon fixation that you can use to your advantage. If someone is not well trained and you grab the wrist holding the knife, the common reaction is known as "gimme back my knife hand!" and he will try to pull it away from you. If you resist that, he will probably succeed and you may get cut as he pulls away. However, if you go with that reaction and follow that pull, you can have a solid strike coming out with the other hand, a strike he will not be as focused on.

But nothing works every time. The art is in figuring out what will work in real time.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Short answer: Not really. That's why I carry a handgun.
    ETXhiker and OldVet like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    I carry a knife every day to cut things not for self defense. If I absolutely had to use it would I? Yes. Do I have any training? No, but what's the alternative? Do nothing and die? That's not an option.
    airslot, Risasi and seeker_two like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Sent two Benchmade knives back for service, came back sharp as razors! Cost my Son, he bought two, $165.00 each. Called 92s? Osbourne? A thin stonewashed blade. Over 3" long. This slender blade would stab well. Slash even better. But in looking back on my own stabbing? I recon guns are my last-ditch effort! Not blades.

And really, all I have ever done is cut things with it. My left side of my belt holds a spare magazine, plus a light, a really bright Surefire. I modified a Glock 19 Mag Pouch to fit, put it in the sink, run hot water on it, keep trying to force the lens part into it, till it fits. I carry that light everywhere, including plane flights.

I much prefer a separate light, than a gun mounted one.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Its not really rocket science and most badguys are not a kali eskrima masters who are trained to defeat a knife attack. A knife is a fairly decent force multiplier and even in laymans hands it typically poses a more formidable status than the same layman without the knife.

Do I know what to do? I am certainly no knife fighter but I would use one if faced with life threatening peril and had no other weapon at my disposal.
    G-man* likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Unless

It’s all a wonderful idea for the SD fantasy of younger impressionable “ warriors”, however, I have a good pistol, and my knife is for cutting my twist tobacco, or baling twine.
    Pete63 and SatCong like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

@Instymp : I have a personal theory after more than 25 years of martial arts training.
    In an instructional setting, any instructor can "prove" that his technique works and your technique doesn't, because he sets up the scenario. Outside of the instructional session, anything goes. The defenders in that situation were expected to stand still, against a wall with their eyes closed, until he said, "go." How is that like real life?

I have a great example that happened in a class, in a classroom setting. An instructor was trying to illustrate the Tueller drill. He would attack from 21 feet with a plastic knife and we would have to draw and "shoot" a laser gun at him before he "stabbed" us. Of course, every one was losing. Then one guy took his turn, but as the instructor attacked, the student pulled a classroom chair out in his path. The instructor practically fell over it. By the time the instructor could recover, the student "shot" him in the head three times. The instructor got upset and said, "What did you do that for?" The point is that if you change the assumptions, you can change the outcome.

If someone is in front of you with a knife, you do not stand still in front of him and you do not let him get you against a wall. And when he moves, you move. You don't try some whoopi-do technique. You get distance and angles on him and just slap at the knife hand. Get him frustrated enough to over-commit on a stab and then you parry and slam him. This is taught in Krav Maga. I am not saying it is always going to work, nothing is 100% against a knife, but it will increase your chances a lot more than anything shown in this video.
    Texas Red and Instymp like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    The classes, or courses we take, have some interesting parts, or lessons in life to use.

A bit off-topic (I am an expert in that anyhow!) just obtained my Green Card, yes they actually were green then.

My Son runs quite a successful Security Company, over 100 Officers, mostly armed. I also now have a G lic as well.

So D license training, 5 days? I don't remember. In one physical portion, I was asked to the front of the class. I think it was a test to see if I could understand the spoken word. Yank Talk? I had a right thick Liverpool accent my self.

I was asked to pretend I was holding a bunch of red Roses. Pretend also, I was blocking the passage to the Stars dressing room, at the Opera. My job, not to let anyone by! We, the class had already been told, no firearms, no batons, etc!

The Instructor set the stage. The well dressed middle-aged man, complete with a bunch of roses "Where is Mz. Wells dressing room" The Star.

I informed this Gentleman "No admittance to the Stars Dressing room" The Instructor stated he thrust the bunch of roses into my arms, and punched me in the face. Just words, no play-acting.

I said no he wouldn't! "Yes, he would," He said again.

I said Sir, I grew up in a rough place in England, spent 5 years as a Bouncer in Liverpool night Clubs. And there is no way he could have hit me. There are all kinds of ways I could have stopped being hit. See this un-broken nose. Pointing to this nice straight nose? That's because I can fight.

I was sent back to sit, Guinea Pig #2 was called up. He did better.

I think the Streets around us can be dangerous, we need to be vigilant, a good pistol you can conceal, and shoot well, can only be an advantage, sixteen rounds up, or 11. To each his/her own.

Knives scare me more than guns. A gun is usually quick whereas a someone with a knife can turn you into a slab of bacon and you just hurt to death. Fellow I knew in school carried a hawk-bill knife and could have it out and open in a blink of an eye. If that wasn't deadly enough, the .38 in his pocket was. Needless to say, I stayed on his good side. Eventually, someone put a bullet in the back of his head and made it all irrelevant.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links