Do you know what to do in self defence? With a folding knife?

This is a discussion on Do you know what to do in self defence? With a folding knife? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why the question? Comes from a question, we were asked in Ontario Canada, by a visiting Police Officer, from the USA in a lecture situation. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Do you know what to do in self defence? With a folding knife?

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar

Why the question? Comes from a question, we were asked in Ontario Canada, by a visiting Police Officer, from the USA in a lecture situation. Two-part, 1st, Who carries a knife? Half the class. 2nd, Who would kill a criminal attacker with your knife. I was in the front row, put my hand up. The lecturer laughed and said. "Mike we can tell you are from Liverpool yes!" Only I had my hand up.

I will start off with my carry knife. Benchmade, thin stonewashed 3" blade, razor-sharp. To close needs pressure on the lock/unlock button. Which is not within the handgrip reach. MECHANISM AXIS® BLADE STYLE Reverse tanto 940: Reverse tanto Clip-point.

No, I don't sell Knives!

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar

Smile

Not sure i would be very good with a knife.
    I have never taken any kind of knife training.
    Suppose in a life and death situation I would defend myself to the best of my ability.
    Just go spider-monkey crazy on them.
    As to the title of the OP. "With a folding knife"
    Guess the first thing I would do is unfold it.
    Pete63 and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Not sure i would be very good with a knife.
    I have never taken any kind of knife training.
    Suppose in a life and death situation I would defend myself to the best of my ability.
    Just go spider-monkey crazy on them.
    As to the title of the OP. "With a folding knife"
    Guess the first thing I would do is unfold it.
    Smarty pants!
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Smarty pants!
    That's Smarty Kilts,Sir!
    But on a serious note.
    I would like to learn some defensive moves with a blade as I carry one everyday.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.

No thanks. One was enough and I just got lucky because the moron didn't know how to use it. That's a reason I carry a gun. And the older I get, the less likely it would end in "success" for me.

Nobody really wins a knife fight, it's just a matter of who loses the least. Expect to get cut. Once you're bleeding you are "on the clock", and time is against you if the other guy isn't leaking too. If it must be hand weapons I want distance. Give me pepper spray, a stick, bat, flag pole, fire extinguisher, cane, chair, umbrella, expandable baton, length of chain or similar that can be used like a flail. Heck, I'd rather be picking up random objects and tossing them. At most now for a bladed weapon I carry something like this just as a "get off me" option: https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1478BP

Frankly though a knife "fight" is the last thing I want to face. Most aren't fair fights and they are over in the blink of an eye by someone good with a blade. Even someone not so good, it's usually "monkey with a screwdriver" type incidents. Not "I've studied my Agrippa"...

P.S. Why is this in new member introduction?

No knife fights for me. I'm too old to play that game. Years ago a weedmonkey came at me with a blade, when my back was turned and my friend shot him in the face with a shotgun.
    airslot, Pete63, ETXhiker and 3 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I'm with @KILTED COWBOY ... I would unfold it first, BUT...how did this wind up in NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Knife as I have said before and will say again to me are for beyond last ditch ( like after gun and running away) last ditch ...Unless you have major training I would not go for a knife unless you had no choice ( ie you are pin on the ground ) ..Sure they are some knife that might even the odds more esp if you know how to use them (thinking here Kukri, Karmbits ,fairbore style daggers , punch daggers etc ) but again most of them are very frown upon in many state and again need training .

Knife fighting to me should be last ditch you will get cut and injure possible as bad as other party

Folding knife for CQB ..That is just asking for something to go wrong in my book
    Risasi and Pete63 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Ex Member
    In my earliest infantry training in the Corps the WWII style bayonet fighting was changed from stab to slash and then stab. That advanced to knife fighting trainin too. Use the life as a slashing ndinstrument against the face, neck hands,and the ore attackable zones of the body. Forget slashing or stabbing heavily clothed areas.

Imagine that you were slashed across the face with a knife. Would you be distracted? Damn right you would be. Slash and then stab. Learn how to wrist twis so you can slash on the intitial and recover strikes. Us a blade made for it. I carry a KaBar folder with 3 inch Tanto blade, Japanese design made for the exact reason I carry it.

A cross slash to the face followed by stabs to the neck will get it done. The best target area is exposed skin.

Always hold the knife with the blade horizontal Never vertical which is stabbing orientation. But do not change to vertical in a fight. It is just as easy to stab on the horizontal and that also gets past bone easier. Get a folder with a Tanto blade.

Bowie knife is all you need, if you no H2H & Knife fighting ; ) PS Don't bring a knife to a gun fight
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    No knife fights for me. I'm too old to play that game. Years ago a weedmonkey came at me with a blade, when my back was turned and my friend shot him in the face with a shotgun.
    That'll work. It's not like it's Rock-Paper-Scissors...shotgun always wins. Good thing your buddy saw him in time. Must have telegraphed his intent.

The most dangerous ones are the fellows who don't show the blade until it's too late. Like a puma. Don't realize he's there until his fangs are sinking into the back of one's neck. The really scary ones close in and hit you before you know they are there.

I agree with the horizontal blade hold. Also skin! Neck, eyes. But this is the last-ditch, gun lost or inoperable, situation. I have never been shot, thank you! But I have been stabbed twice!

One on one situation the second time. The first time, working in the same Club in Liverpool, early 1960s. The Cavern Club, of Beatles fame. Two young men (17/18) rolling around on the stone floor. Two of us outside Bouncers called downstairs, I grabbed the top body, yanked him up, felt a blow to my back. A punch?

Anyhow, we dumped the two of them in the Street. A bit bent out of shape, a minor incident. For some reason, my jacket was off, in the van. My mate said whats all that black stuff on your back? The neon bulbs gave some strange results. Stepping into the Street lights! "Its blood," He said, off to the Emerg, local Hospital, 5 minutes away.

The on-call white coat said it was a possibly a small knife, or nail file. Just to the right, of my right kidney. Ouch.

1962? 10-30 pm. Friday night, two of us on the door, Matthew Street. Again the Cavern Club.
    Larry had gone downstairs, for two cups of tea. (no booze at the Cavern) cold night.

A well-dressed chap, collar and tie, good Suit, and shoes, gleaming shoes. Wanted in. We had closed for any more admittance, 11-30 close (we hope) this person was a bit weird? Waving his hands about. And had a nice watch on his right wrist. I had worked my day job, 9 till 5, home to change, back to Liverpool, to the Club.

I was tired, missed the fact that he was likely left-handed. He suddenly threw a left-handed punch, I was standing on the 4" step at the street. But I saw the top of his thumb. Not knuckles. He was holding a homemade ice pick, made from a rat-tailed file. Beautifully made, the wooden handle polished and lacquered.
    The blade polished also. He was carrying it in a stitched in a holster, made from a boot tongue, inside his jacket, upside down carry.
    It entered my right wrist, on the inside, I caught his wrist, stopped him trying for more stabs (He tried!) I dissuaded him some more with a left-footed kick with my bother boot, toe to face. I was 27 years of age then, quite limber.

Broke his jaw, cheekbone, eye socket, 4 teeth on the deck. Five man Police Jeep not impressed! Scottish Sgt, big moustache, "What did you do this for?" I said he stabbed me with this! Handed over the weapon. Handcuffed, in the back of the Jeep, gone.

The promise to come back in the week for a written statement never happened. Can't trust Jocks!

Same Emerg, more needles.

No idea how I ended up in New member place!
    ETXhiker and G26Raven like this.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin! I had a little bit of knife fighting that I got in the military & in the martial arts but by no means call myself expert or adept.

Okay. I'll still welcome a 1000+post member, LOL. Just noticed that myself, LOL.
    MSG Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Retired PI/Armed Security
    M&P40, M&P40C

GH. See you still do some Security work? My Son owns a mid-sized Security Company. Me, not working for him (just had my 84th birthday) But keep my licenses up to date, in case? And we shoot the re-ql together each year. 49 rounds! The pass mark is low.
    And the target used a smaller version of the B27? I have been a shooter since I was 18 YOA. Starting in England, then Australia, Canada, and Florida. I still shoot quite well, but watching other Security Officers? I think we need some improvements?

sgb
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links