How Many Magazines Do You Stock?

This is a discussion on How Many Magazines Do You Stock? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many magazines total do you tend to stock*per firearm that you own? I lived through the Clinton AWB and I got caught short when ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: How Many Magazines Do You Stock?

How many magazines total do you tend to stock*per firearm that you own?

I lived through the Clinton AWB and I got caught short when Colorado enacted magazine capacity restrictions (although that law is routinely ignored). So I tend to be a little anal about stocking magazines.

One of the reasons I like Glocks is that I can buy aftermarket magazines for training for half the price of OEM magazines and use them for training so they take the beating instead of my OEM magazines.

For guns that are range toys 6 magazines is sufficient for me.
    I have an M&P9 that is semi retired that I have 9 magazines for. I don't think I've even fired it this year so I'm pretty sure that's sufficient.
    For guns that I actually carry (Glocks) My goal is 12 per gun (not including the aftermarket training magazines)
    For rifles I think 30 is adequate.

I know some folks have waaaaay more than that but for me I feel like any more than 12 (15 tops) is wasting money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Handguns 10+
    Rifles 10+

I cannot imagine any aftermarket mags holding up better than oem Glock mags. Glock’s mag prices are wonderfully lower than many other handgun companies, and dropping loaded or empty Glock mags on concrete, gravel or dirt have caused no performance reduction in mine.

Retailers stock mags. I own and use the number of mags I want to use for defensive carry, training, matches and plinking. Today it’s four mags. Two are 9-round, and two are 13-round. One in the gun, one in my pocket, two in the truck door pocket.

I know no one with waaaaaaay more than that.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Currently just about all my firearms have 6 to 8 magazines available for each of them. I also stock spare magazine springs for each type of magazine. In addition I have a force gauge that I use to test each magazine so I know when to change the springs. This allows me to avoid having to find out that a magazine spring is too weak when I am using my firearm.
    SAXDM9 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Depends on the role of the firearm. No less than 3, but most have many times that number.
    WebleyHunter likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    Allow me to introduce myself... I'm Smitty, I shoot 1911s in .45 ACP. These are just the mags used for competition, there are another 15+ around the house not reserved for the games.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Many Magazines Do You Stock?-area-2-prep-2018r.jpg  

Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I cannot imagine any aftermarket mags holding up better than oem Glock mags. Glock’s mag prices are wonderfully lower than many other handgun companies, and dropping loaded or empty Glock mags on concrete, gravel or dirt have caused no performance reduction in mine.
    I use MagPul magazines for training and I really don't care if they hold up better than OEM Glock magazines, in fact that's kind of the point. If my aftermarket magazines go **** up in training I get to practice malfunction drills and then I get to send them back to Magpul for free replacement because they're under warranty.

Retailers stock mags. I own and use the number of mags I want to use for defensive carry, training, matches and plinking. Today it’s four mags. Two are 9-round, and two are 13-round. One in the gun, one in my pocket, two in the truck door pocket.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm certain that the total number of magazines that I own is less than 100, I know people who own more magazines than that for one gun. I know one guy who's father went out and bought him a Gross of magazines for his duty gun the day he graduated the police academy.

This is most of my stash of magazines

I know people to keep that many in their range bag

Most of my guns share magazines, so it seems like I have quite a bit, but if I divide it up I probably only have 3-5 per gun.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Moderator
    It's hard to quantify by category how many mags for each gun. As my previous post suggests, certain specific purposes create a need for a large number of mags. For my 1911 competition guns, realistically about 12 mags get the brunt of the use throughout the year and then several more are brought out for major match use, when there are lots more stages than the club-level matches, and the higher level of competition demands more spares. (FWIW, USPSA Area 2 starts tomorrow for staff, non-staff competitors start Friday).

The type of gun also makes a difference. For the newish CZ Shadow 2 I shoot in Limited division, I have 7 magazines but will rarely use more than 3 in a stage. Shooting Single Stack major power factor, with 8+1 in the gun I pretty much reload every time I move so the mags see a lot more cyclic use. For the recreational .22 pistols I have at least 6 mags on hand, so when I'm having fun or training a rookie I can just hand over a fresh mag.

For the compact guns I use for defensive carry purposes, I normally have 4-6 mags each. These guns and their mags don't get the heavy use the game guns do.

Rifles are a different story. I probably have 3 dozen AR mags because most are plastic (P-mags) and when they're no longerr reliable, they get tossed. For 10/22s, I have maybe 15 10-round mags and 8 25-rounders - supporting 5 10/22s with different purposes. The bolt-action .22s (a Ruger, 2 CZ 455s and a Winchester 320) are obviously shot at a more deliberate pace, so for these, 3-4 mags each will suffice.
    OD*, bmcgilvray and airslot like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    I will not ever be short on ammunition or appropriate magazines.
    OD*, airslot, RETSUPT99 and 6 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If a pistol is in everyday, or just rather frequent, use, I suggest that at least 10 magazines is an appropriate amount.
    Many magazines can't be repaired, so, rather than trying to fix 'em, either toss 'em or relegate 'em to "reloading practice only."

Since I once competed with 1911s, I still have a stash of about 30 G.I. magazines of WW2 vintage, still in their original wrappings.
    But now they'll never get used. My widow will sell them with the pistols.

I admit that I only have four magazines for my EDC Colt's Pocket Hammerless.
    My excuse is that we live in a very peaceful place, so the magazines don't get used much.

Generally speaking, I have found that when one's pistol mis-feeds, and one is certain that no limp-wristing was involved, the problem is most probably a magazine that's going bad.
    The feed lips of most magazines are actually springs, and they're subject to metal fatigue just like any other frequently-flexed spring. When a spring succumbs to metal fatigue, there's no way to save it. So a mis-feeding magazine is best tossed.

Later — Additional Thought:
    None of my rifles use spring-type feed lips. All of them feed through solid lips. That even includes our 10/22.
    Of course, at least half of my long arms are muzzleloaders...
    And then there's the Garand: I have a big (really big) bag-full of clips for it. My widow will sell them, too.
    airslot likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

FYI a 40mm ammo can holds 30-30rd mags. There are three of them for the AR15 and another for the AR10. It came with 13 mags when I bought it and I have added to that.

Between the Semi handguns there are 50? mags.

The 10/22s share 20? mags.

By the way, a 40mm can will also hold 400rds of 12ga.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Many Magazines Do You Stock?-m855.jpg  

How Many Magazines Do You Stock?-xm193.jpg  

How Many Magazines Do You Stock?-reserves.jpg  

gasmitty, OD*, bmcgilvray and 1 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I do not think savings on Glock after market magazines are sufficient to justify their purchase. Natchez Shooters Supply has Glock oem magazines routinely for just under $20 each. In fact had a recent sale with 10% off. I bought six and discount savings paid for my postage.

VIP Member
    When we went to multi-day SD classes every year I had 10+ magazines for my most used Glock. Now, too old to do that serious training stuff anymore, I feel that 5 or 6 are sufficient for each gun. The competing I did never required more than 50 rounds per course of fire, and usually not more than 35, so I didn't need more magazines than that per gun.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

None for my revolvers and lever-action rifles. Somewhere between two and a whole lot for my pistols and semi-auto rifles.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links