Concealed Tactical Furniture? - Page 2

Concealed Tactical Furniture?

This is a discussion on Concealed Tactical Furniture? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a headboard that was rather nice to store a long gun in. Pop it open and it drops, with the muzzle past your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Concealed Tactical Furniture?

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I saw a headboard that was rather nice to store a long gun in. Pop it open and it drops, with the muzzle past your partner so you don't accidently blow their brains out.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    Now I've heard everything, "Tactical Furniture" that takes the cake.
    RetCpl likes this.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

I know there is a current trend for having a gun hidden in some type of furniture, shelf, mantel, etc., but none of the things I have seen provide any real security other than being hidden. I have a gun secured next to my bed in a heavy duty handgun safe since that's where I am most vulnerable while sleeping. Around the house I just pocket carry a P3AT and I don't stash guns myself so I don't have any personal experience with any of the furniture.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I conceal a Glock in a big fruitcake. No one would look there.
    CavemanBob likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I'm not a gun hider, mine is holstered on my bod almost every waking moment. At night it's on the bedstand within arms reach. The others are in the safe.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

Senior Moderator
    For whatever stubborn reason I will not carry in the home. Actually, that's not hard and fast. Just yesterday I toted most of the evening because of some lingering activity of undetermined purpose in the street out front simultaneously coupled with an unresolved bump Mrs. BMc heard in the rear of the house.

For most purposes a couple magnets serve to render certain furniture "tactical" around here. Mrs. BMc picked them up off Amazon a few years back.

https://www.amazon.com/Tac-Mag-Gun-M.../dp/B00LR454YU

One is nearby as I type this and is accessible more quickly than a holstered gun, yet completely hidden and easily missed even during a search. A spare Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special is at the ready fastened to this magnet. It's hung there for several years now, except when granddaughters or other visitors' kiddies come to call. What a crook or even law enforcement might miss would be sure to be discovered by children.

Have begun a tidying purge of the reloading bench yesterday with the hopes of having it reloading ready by tomorrow. It's gonna take a grain scoop to displace the stuff that has collected in recent weeks. Anyway, I'd left a box of 50 .38 Special hand loads precariously perched on top of a pile on the edge of the bench. Went in there this morning and found it in the middle of the floor where it had obviously slid off its perch, the bump explained.

Oh, nearly forgot. We have a pair of these Kikkerland bedside pockets. Subdivided inside, they are handy and "tactical." I think there are different styles and capacities available. For simplicity I only keep the 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 in the one on my side of the bed though they can hold several handy bedside items. They could be "tactically" utilized on the right sofa or various chairs as well with a bit of imagination.

https://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.V366...iABEgKwffD_BwE

Beyond "magnetized tactical furniture" there's the "high-tech tactical lean" which is employed in unobtrusive corners for placement of long arms.
    OakBluff and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    For whatever stubborn reason I will not carry in the home.
    One is nearby as I type this and is accessible more quickly than a holstered gun, yet completely hidden and easily missed even during a search. A spare Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special is at the ready fastened to this magnet. It's hung there for several years now, except when granddaughters or other visitors' kiddies come to call. What a crook or even law enforcement might miss would be sure to be discovered by children.

Have begun a tidying purge of the reloading bench yesterday with the hopes of having it reloading ready by tomorrow. It's gonna take a grain scoop to displace the stuff that has collected in recent weeks. Anyway, I'd left a box of 50 .38 Special hand loads precariously perched on top of a pile on the edge of the bench. Went in there this morning and found it in the middle of the floor where it had obviously slid off its perch, the bump explained....
    Beyond "magnetized tactical furniture" there's the "high-tech tactical lean" which is employed in unobtrusive corners for placement of long arms.
    I am of the same mindset as you in that I do not usually carry while at home. If needed, I have ready access to a reliable revolver anytime I am there.
    Your use of strong magnets has my imagination going. I can think of quite a few spots where these might be deployed to good use. This might turn out to be a useful tidbit to other forum members as well. Thanks for your input!

My thoughts worth exactly what y'all paid for them....

During an attack the defender is already behind the curve. Having to go get a gun puts you further behind the curve. Needing to fiddle with this or that to get the gun is even worse.

So in order to make that curve as short as possible my gun is on my person at home just as it is away from home because the difference between an attack away from home and an attack at home is...

... home may be a familiar place but the need to defend as fast as possible is still the same.
    Cypher and forester58 like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

I spent a lot of time researching this type of concealed furniture, but all the options out there were either very expensive, or pretty obvious what it is. So I made my own of sorts, and it was really pretty cheap and easy . . .

If you go to Costco Photo, you can create a canvas print of your photos. The canvas edge is thick, hollow behind the stretched canvas. So I cut out the back wood brace when it arrived, and then mounted it to the wall using some cheap hinges I bought at Lowe’s. I also got a couple of small magnets, to hold the bottom secure to the wall. I then hung several hooks behind the picture, and used them to mount a 870 shotgun and revolver to the wall, hidden just behind the canvas. All you have to do is grab the bottom of the picture and swing it out and up on the hinges, to reveal the guns hidden underneath!

I chose one of our wedding photos, which of course my wife was beyond excited about, and so it was win win- she got a very nice canvas picture of our wedding on the wall, and I got a very well hidden place to store a couple of firearms where no one would look, but with very fast access if needed. No one is going to steal or even look twice at a wedding picture hanging on the wall. I would post a picture of the setup, but wouldn’t want to give away where it is. Whole setup was very reasonable price wise, and both my wife and I are super happy- for obviously different reasons! :-)
    OakBluff likes this.

I never was into hiding guns. If I am awake I am armed with some firearm. A hidden gun is no good when I am out in the garage, out to the mailbox, in the backyard which faces and alley or numerous other places I may be when at home. I would have to hide a dozen guns.
    OD* likes this.

The neat thing about carrying at home is that no matter where you may be, there you are--armed.
    OD* likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I commissioned a friend to make a set of matching night stands in which the whole top slides revealing space for a gun lock box.
    I quite like it, it reduces the chance of being found and taken in the event of a burglary. Because the top slides fully out of the way with one swipe, We can leave stuff on our night stand without compromising our ability to access the firearm without a moment of added time or mess.
    Also gives us some additional hidden storage for other items we'd rather our kids not find and play with, but are not needing locking up in a safe.
    OakBluff, OD* and Big Western like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I conceal a Glock in a big fruitcake. No one would look there.
    Excellent idea! Just put out a fruit cake on a plate, let it get stale until it's hard on the outside, then cut it with a sawzall and hollow it out.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

This is condensed from replies of a thread on another forum where the OP had guns and cash stolen from a hidden drawer in a nightstand. Other details shown just because it's a real life situation and thought some of it might be good info for someone else.

Came home today to find my house burglarized and they took guns and some cash, left everything else be even after going through it.. Anyways, took my wifes S&W SD9VE and my beloved Glock 23.

Those stupid little lock boxes with the little finger codes didn't stand a chance. Looked like they were whacked on the ground a few time and goodbye guns. Everyone thinks they are fort Knox until they find out, nope your custom made nightstands that you paid too much for where useless. This will never happen to me here, nope it was right inside your home you could not do anything about it then and your home was violated. A solid wooden drawer with it bolted down to it under a false bottom wasn't even close to enough. Now they are smashed. So much for having a friend that does woodworking. After the fact I realize the depth of the drawer vs the size of the drawer was a dead give away.

They did enter the extra room where my gun safe is at. Rifled through shelves, I can't even figure what is missing BUT they didn't even touch the safe. Didn't even try. Not a scratch on her and the dial wasn't even touched, the dial still on the 3rd mark the way I leave it just so I know if someone else has been there. Since we are on a raised foundation I have it bolted through the floor with a 1/2" steel plate that is at least 2' wider than the safe all the way around bolted underneath the floor around the joists. Had to rip up a bunch of ground to fit it under the footings and concreted it it all back in. The Liberty model I bought weighs right at 800lbs. With the load in it the things weighs in excess of 1000lbs. Tucked in a corner that makes prying very difficult.

We are semi rural, 40 acre property. Who ever did this knew our schedules, had to of watches us. We don't have many friends over if ever, the property owner has a schedule of walking the property during the day that only her and I know. They had to be watching. Certain things rifled through other obvious things not even touched. This wasn't personal, this was just a piece of shti doing what they do, now they are armed with my guns.

They don't know me or, the more likely, they knew myself and my wife wasn't home. They / him / her / the garbage of this world knew no one was home. It takes some practiced skill to open a closed window, you have to know that window type otherwise just smash the window. There is a trick to removing these old screens without bending them; they completed. You have to know how to beat the locks on these windows; they completed. You would have to of been close to study these windows to defeat them; they completed. Out in the open during broad daylight....they knew we weren't home and had time to spare. Sucks for us but a learning experience none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    This is condensed from replies of a thread on another forum where the OP had guns and cash stolen from a hidden drawer in a nightstand. Other details shown just because it's a real life situation and thought some of it might be good info for someone else.
    This sounds like an inside job to me. Someone had detailed knowledge of where and when to go and what to look for. (I'll bet the thieves didn't touch the fruitcake.)
    OldVet likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links