Safe suggestions - Page 2

Safe suggestions

This is a discussion on Safe suggestions within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ShooterGranny The last house we lived in had an under-floor safe. It was well hidden under the carpet in a corner of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Safe suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    The last house we lived in had an under-floor safe. It was well hidden under the carpet in a corner of our walk in closet. It stuck down into the crawl space, not embedded in concrete, but even so, IT STUNK! Mildew in that thing was a serious problem. We only used it to store guns when we were going to be away from home for more than one day.

I will add that the real safe we have now would grow mold quickly also if we did not keep several nylon knee high stockings filled with silicon desiccant pellets in it - and take them out to bake/dry/refresh them every several days. Heck, we even keep our clothes closet doors open so our clothes do not grow mold on them and we do not live in a really high humidity area!
    Can you put a dehumidifier inside?
    Redbert31 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I installed a floor safe this week. A Sentry Safe by Master, the instructions say to open it every week or two to dry it out. The safe came with a large desiccant package, and the instructions say to maintain it in there as “the humidifier”. They state their proprietary insulation gives off moisture.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Can you put a dehumidifier inside?
    If you mean a heat stick which is called a dehumidifier but does nothing except heat the air in the safe, no. We tried the plastic "dehumidifier" packets that you supposedly plug into a wall socket when they turn dark color. They are so small they do absolutely nothing at all except waste your money. They contain very small amounts of the desiccant granules, so why not buy the granules in bulk and use enough to do the job properly?

If we had a place in the house proper - on a wood floor, not on a cement floor - we would not have to refresh the granules as often, but we do not have any place in the house proper to put the safe.

Like many others: We do what we need to do.
    Havok likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I'm on my 2nd safe in 35 years time. Both fairly large safes.
    The first one had an electronic keypad...not the type you see these days...and after 20 years with it the keypad failed. I found that the builder had sold the company to a safe company in Fort Worth years prior so I called them. Then I called a professional safe cracker, a guy who installs bank vaults and safe deposit systems.

Every possible remedy was tried to open the safe and I finally had to do what the safe company in Ft Wth suggested and rent a commercial grade grinder with a cutting disc and cut the entire lock mechanism out of the door. Once I had a big hole in the door I simply reached inside and moved the mechanism to move the lock bolts and opened it up. Of course the safe was trashed...I sold it for scrap.

And, of course, the failure occurred the night before I was leaving for opening weekend of white tail season so I couldn't access any of my hunting firearms gear and had to scramble at late night and borrow a rifle to hunt that weekend. (I ended up getting two does and a hog that weekend btw)

I replaced that safe with a Liberty/Franklin and have been very happy with it. Standard dial lock. No more electronics for me.

My son has a safe with an electronic lock, but it is a newer build and the keypad is replaceable. His failed about a year ago and he had to order a new keypad. But once he hooked it up he was able to open the safe. Still...a bit of a PITB.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Safe suggestions:

1. Get more than you think you will need. If a 8 or 10 gun safe will take care of your immediate needs, consider a 12 or 14 gun safe to take care of future needs.

2. Mama will want to take up considerable room in your new safe, so make sure she has room for all of her stuff. Otherwise you can just get her a new safe when you buy your new safe.

3. Pay the dealer's price for delivery and installation. Please don't consider wrestling that big iron pig around by yourself, or even with a couple of your buddies to help.

4. Add a workers' compensation endorsement to your homeowners insurance policy, just in case a couple of your neighbors try to steal your safe and rupture their nut sacks or have it fall over on them while they are stealing your stuff. This is the 21st Century after all, and even burglars and thieves deserve proper insurance coverage. Their lawyer may go lightly on you while concentrating attention on your insurance company.

5. When it is time to move try to sell the safe with the house. Probably a lot easier and less expensive than having it moved to your new house.

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Safe suggestions:

1. Get more than you think you will need. If a 8 or 10 gun safe will take care of your immediate needs, consider a 12 or 14 gun safe to take care of future needs.

2. Mama will want to take up considerable room in your new safe, so make sure she has room for all of her stuff. Otherwise you can just get her a new safe when you buy your new safe.

3. Pay the dealer's price for delivery and installation. Please don't consider wrestling that big iron pig around by yourself, or even with a couple of your buddies to help.

4. Add a workers' compensation endorsement to your homeowners insurance policy, just in case a couple of your neighbors try to steal your safe and rupture their nut sacks or have it fall over on them while they are stealing your stuff. This is the 21st Century after all, and even burglars and thieves deserve proper insurance coverage. Their lawyer may go lightly on you while concentrating attention on your insurance company.

5. When it is time to move try to sell the safe with the house. Probably a lot easier and less expensive than having it moved to your new house.
    Get as big as you can afford, to be sure. Now if I was limited to 22" wide, I'd try to find another place to put it. 22" deep I understand, if you don't have a wide entry door somewhere.

I suppose the second to last point is a good idea in some places, but consult an insurance guy and an attorney. Here in SW Ohio if a perp tried to sue for injuries after a safe fell on him - while stealing it - he wouldn't get very far.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Whatever size you think you need, double it.
    retired badge 1 likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links