Safe suggestions

Safe suggestions

This is a discussion on Safe suggestions within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not exactly sure if this is permissible, I get mixed feedback from different sites, but I'm looking for suggestions. I have searched through lots ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Safe suggestions

Safe suggestions

I'm not exactly sure if this is permissible, I get mixed feedback from different sites, but I'm looking for suggestions. I have searched through lots of threads and didn't see anything recent.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a home safe? This will be inside the house. There is really only one constraint I won't go into detail about other than it be larger than 22 inches wide.

I would like a few shelves because I have more hand guns than long guns. I saw one somewhere (I can't find again) that gave you an option for all shelves or set up for all rifles.
    SAXDM9 likes this.

Why do you want a safe? Theft? Children? Fire? What kind of lock? There are so many options that without a little more information it's difficult to suggest anything.

Senior Moderator
    Here's EVERYTHING you need to know about safes.

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I saw Liberty safe in California that had customer options when it came to measurements.
    Their web site says that your size will be what they make.
    I would also urge you to make sure that you only need 22 inches wide.
    Mine is 37 wide and was filled rather quickly when I thought I would only need 24.
    Local gun shows in your county might be somewhere you might go before you buy.
    That is my two cents worth. BTW! I own Fort Knox and not affiliated other than a really satisfied customer.
    Tom TKH

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    There is really only one constraint I won't go into detail about other than it be larger than 22 inches wide.
    You sure you didn't mean it can't be wider than 22"? Otherwise, that' not a limitation. The safes that are narrower than 22" are the exception and not the norm.

I'll also echo what @arte710 said. You have to determine the purpose and what is important to you. You can get a safe for less than $500, but it won't be very good at fire protection and won't put up much of a fight for a determined person trying to get into it. But, if your only purpose is to keep your weapons away from little ones in your house, something like that might be acceptable.
    OldChap and G26Raven like this.

Set a list of needs based on your collection size, value, and the risks to it.
    Maximum price
    Maximum + Minimum size (don't forget about space required to get into position)
    Fire
    Water
    Security
    Entry method
    Features & Finish & Interior
    Weight limits
    OldChap likes this.

I go against the grain on this. IMO the big heavy safes are a needless carryover to feel safe, not actually be safe. Most aren’t as fire nor intrusion resistant as they claim.

With how frequent we move (averaged every two years for approaching the past 30 years) I’ve preferred multiple light and smaller locking cabinets over a single big safe. I bolt them down around the house, making theft harder. It also makes moving less difficult than dealing with something requiring a crane.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Hard to say without knowing more info. This video has a lot of good info. Liberty makes good safes. A lot of people recommend them, but they make everything from the lowest to highest quality. A lot more to look at than the brand logo on the front.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAyRO566sU
    We get the government we deserve.

After 20+ years in the alarm industry and seeing a LOT of "gun" safes after a house fire not one of them came through without damage to the contents.

Don't count on a gun safe to protect your guns from a fire.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Monte

"I'll huff and I'll puff ...woah! Nice shotgun. Umm. Look at the time! Should have been home hours ago! Wife will be frantic. Nice meeting you. Bye, bye now!"

Quote Originally Posted by montejames View Post
    After 20+ years in the alarm industry and seeing a LOT of "gun" safes after a house fire not one of them came through without damage to the contents.

Most people buy cheap safes from big chain sporting goods stores. Look up how the liberty presidential fared in the California wildfires. You get what you pay for.
    We get the government we deserve.

Another source for information on safes: https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/

Once you decide on your budget, then decide what features are most important, like fire resistance or burglary resistance and then you can start narrowing it down. Personally, I like a mechanical dial (GroupII or better UL listing) for reliability and long life expectancy and as thick of steel as possible. Sturdy Safe comes to mind. Fireproofing I like the cement slurry between the inner and outer walls walls instead of sheet-rock, but that will usually cost you a premium. AMSEC uses this. In the long run you will get what you pay for with something in every price range. Good Luck!
    montejames likes this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by montejames View Post

yeah really... its just an oven
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I lucked into under-floor safes web pages two nights ago. Placed in-ground under a concrete floor, these are largely fireproof, cannot be removed and are inherently very difficult to break into. Flush with concrete floor, can cover with vct or carpet squares flooring and they disappear. Wouldn’t it suck to forget where you hid it?

They are NOT water proof, so if in an area where floor could collect water atop the safe there’s exposure. Lots of sizes and profiles.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Here's EVERYTHING you need to know about safes.

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    Thanks this is really good.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    I lucked into under-floor safes web pages two nights ago.
    The last house we lived in had an under-floor safe. It was well hidden under the carpet in a corner of our walk in closet. It stuck down into the crawl space, not embedded in concrete, but even so, IT STUNK! Mildew in that thing was a serious problem. We only used it to store guns when we were going to be away from home for more than one day.

I will add that the real safe we have now would grow mold quickly also if we did not keep several nylon knee high stockings filled with silicon desiccant pellets in it - and take them out to bake/dry/refresh them every several days. Heck, we even keep our clothes closet doors open so our clothes do not grow mold on them and we do not live in a really high humidity area!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links