Nikon scope problems?

Nikon scope problems?

This is a discussion on Nikon scope problems? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may very well be the wrong place for this, but... Anyone else feel dissatisfied with Nikonís scope quality? I have two dedicated hunting rifles, ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 380ACP
  • 1 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 1 Post By Old Man
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By 380ACP
  • 1 Post By 380ACP

Thread: Nikon scope problems?

Nikon scope problems?

This may very well be the wrong place for this, but...

Anyone else feel dissatisfied with Nikonís scope quality?

I have two dedicated hunting rifles, one for deer and one for elk. Both have a Nikon Prostaff on top of them. One was bought seven years ago and the other about three.

The one I bought seven years ago I bought used at a steal because it had an issue where it would develop sort of a double image under certain circumstances. Nikonís no question warranty had it back up and running in a couple of weeks even though I wasnít the original owner. Itís been fine since. I bought the second because of this experience.

The other is atop my deer rifle and has been fine up until the last few weeks. Lately it has started fogging internally. Deer season doesnít end for another three weeks so Iím just going to have to make the best of it.

I recently heard that Nikonís warranty has changed from their no questions asked policy. Now, it has to have been bought from an authorized vendor and you have to have proof of purchase. I bought mine new off of eBay because of the excellent warranty, didnít think I had anything to worry about. Now, both of them have had failures Iíd expect out of lower quality scopes and the warranty has changed.

Anyone else feel like my experience is out of the ordinary, or is this just what Nikon is building these days?

Once the season is over, Iíll be contacting Nikon. Hopefully theyíll make it right, but if not, Iím buying a Leupold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I haven't had any recent Nikon CS service. I had a problem with one several years ago I sent them in a scope w/ broken turret. They sent me a re-furbished unit. (I was not the original owner.) I have had Weaver, Nikon, Redfield, Bushnell, Pentax, Tasco, Leapers, and Simmons scopes over the years. Ironically the only ones that I have ever had problems with were Redfield and Nikon.
    *Side note you can occasionally find made in Japan Tasco and Simmons scopes for sale used. Buy them! Better quality than some of the new stuff, IMO!
    Old Man likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    I have had several Nikon scopes and never experienced any issues. Hopefully you will have the fogging issue resolved quickly at no charge to you.
    5lima30ret likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This should make you happy--I heard Nikon is getting out of the scope business.

I have one, bought to use on my 6mm Mongoose for a range toy only. If it goes bad, it goes into the trash.
    Old Man and sgb like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The Nikon scope I had was a POS.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Mixed bag so far! Thanks for the responses. Iíll give Nikon a chance to make it right, just hope it doesnít have another problem later on. Internal fogging is something Iíd expect from the no name $30 Chinese scopes on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Side note you can occasionally find made in Japan Tasco and Simmons scopes for sale used. Buy them! Better quality than some of the new stuff, IMO!
    Thanks for the tip! I found some sweet deals on both. My hunting buddy has a vintage Tasco that is rock solid and has not lost zero since it was sighted in about a decade ago.

5lima30ret likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I have several Nikons all with good luck-I have 2 Vortex one of which was sent back last week due to slanted crosshair on a Spitfire Prism-
    My other scopes are Burris-UTG-and a Firefield-all have been fine.
    THE CROW

Though I have used many Nikon scopes but I love my Uncle's Nikon P-tactical. Though it is heavier but its 3x zoom, shock and water resistance features and quick adjustment support are outstanding.

Update on this...

Had a very excellent, no questions asked warranty transaction with Century Arms for an unrelated issue. Hoped for the same here.

Contacted Nikon with my problem yesterday, got a response today telling me to go to the scheduling repair form on their website where I must first upload my receipt before it will let me proceed with a warranty request...otherwise, it has to be a paid repair. No human to talk to, no way around it.

I may call and yell for a bit, but either way...Nikon has lost a customer.

OldVet likes this.

sgb
    Nikon dumped their lifetime warranty when they announced that they were discontinuing their rifle scope optics.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsored Links