I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind! - Page 3

I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!

This is a discussion on I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Match the suppressor to the proper gun & ammo and it makes a lot of sense. 4.5" barreled 9mm PCC SBR using 147gr Gold Dots ...

View Poll Results: If you own a suppressor, why did you buy it?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • For home defense

13 37.14%
  • For hunting

8 22.86%
  • For range use

11 31.43%
  • Because it is my right

9 25.71%
  • Because it looks cool

4 11.43%
  • Other

15 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!

sgb
    Match the suppressor to the proper gun & ammo and it makes a lot of sense. 4.5" barreled 9mm PCC SBR using 147gr Gold Dots (subsonic) through my ISIS II Thompson Machine suppressor and we have a home defense firearm that isn't going to blow your ears out.

I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!-213gb2g.jpg
    airslot, OD*, maxwell97 and 4 others like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

FWIW- There's some vids on the web that show how easy it is to build a suppressor for a .22. I'm not talking a pop bottle taped to the muzzle, this is a real can that can be made from hardware store items. Not legal, so that's my disclaimer. I've never had any need for one myself, but it was an interesting SHTF knowledge thing to know.
    G26Raven likes this.

I don't know how well it works on larger, more powerful calibers, but if I were wanting to suppress .22 LR only, I'd opt for the oil filter adapter option. Seems to work well enough in all the videos I've seen. It would be a good use for Fram filters anyhow. Inexpensive, and no clean up required.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    For those who feel a need to have their names on a list in Washington DC owning a suppressor is about as efficient a means as possible to achieve your dreams. Add a second NFA item and you will probably get a red circle around your name.

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    For those who feel a need to have their names on a list in Washington DC owning a suppressor is about as efficient a means as possible to achieve your dreams. Add a second NFA item and you will probably get a red circle around your name.
    Sorry, Iím just not that paranoid.

Anyway, between a having C&R, and filling several 4473ís a year...That cat has already left the barn.
    G26Raven, airslot, sgb and 2 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Moderator
    Just opened this thread, went to view the results first, then went to vote and is said that I had already voted...WHAT?

I'm contacting the complaint dept...
    G26Raven, airslot and Old Man like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: ďThe prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.Ē

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Just opened this thread, went to view the results first, then went to vote and is said that I had already voted...WHAT?

I'm contacting the complaint dept...
    I tell ya, the moderators around here just aren't checking up on things!
    airslot and RETSUPT99 like this.
    You are your own first responder.

https://www.silencershop.com/silence...rms-rf762.html

For people saying its too expensive, here is a 30cal rife can $275. Would be great for a hunting rifle or a basic home defensive option. Its a no frills can, but if I were planning on taking a shot without hearing protection, Id much rather have something like this on my gun. Its out of stock now because it was such a smoking deal, but these sorts of deals are out there. A can like that would be perfect for anything from a bolt action 308 deer rife, a precision long range rifle, or a 10" home defense AR pistol.

As for other types of cans, Im not a super huge fans of silencers on pistols. They make a lot of sense on the subgun type carbines or PDWs, but on a standard handgun like a Glock or 1911, I struggle to see as much point. Its super cool to shoot them, and I have one, but it stays on my Scorpion EVO. Every now and again Ill swap it to my G17, but its most as a novelty. With a silencer on a pistol (I mean a real pistol, not going by the ATF definition), you cant holster it in a standard holster, you need raised sights which not everyone has, and those arent even the worst thing IMO. One thing I never hear anyone talk about is unburnt powder blowback when running a silencer. I shoot my Omega 9k on a Glock 17 and shooting any type of ammo, you get massive blowback on your face. Instead of the powder and pressure going out the muzzle end, because of the increased pressure, some powder and gas blows back towards the shooters face. If it were a home defense scenario, Id hate to get an eye full of unburnt powder and effectively blind myself after the first shot. Much more useful on a PCC or PDW type of weapon.

When talking price for rimfire silencers, its not as bad as most think. Sure, some of the brand name cans made with the latest materials cost more, some $500 or more, but it doesnt take all that to get quiet. I used to work at a huge local gun shop, and they has a no-name 22lr can that had a standard price of $124.99. It would often go on sale for $99. Yeah, the $200 tax is a PITA, but thats just the way it goes. For $600 out the door, you could easily have a Ruger 10/22, a few spare mags, and a silencer to pop on the end. People dont think twice about dropping $600 on a Glock in a brick and mortar gun store. If you wanted something really tricked out, looking at SilencerShop, for $500 + stamp, you can get a 10/22 integrally suppressed barrel. With 10/22s costing under $200, you could easily have a Hollywood quiet gun thats a standard single stamp 16" rifle for $900 out the door. The intergral 10/22s are crazy quiet. You could be asleep in your bedroom, and someone could be outside your window shooting drills and it would be inaudble.

You can spend a ton on silencers if you want the latest and greatest, but if you just keep your eyes peeled for deals and dont mind a silencer that was state of the art 5-10 years ago, you can do it on the cheap.
    Cuda66, G26Raven, airslot and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    True, but what about us folks that served? Fingerprints, mugshots, medical records, duty records, I even had the FBI show up at my Dad's house to talk to me just minutes after I got there driving from where I lived two states away for a visit while traveling to Ohio from Colorado! It was about something that happened when I was in the Air Force eight years prior but was because my younger brother had to get his Top Secret clearance to do his job in the Air Force. This happened before commercial computers, GPS, and cell phones. Talk about the feds knowing where you are every minute! This was in 1988. I can't believe they aren't monitoring me to this day... Hi guys! And up...y...rs
    G26Raven, airslot, Cuda66 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know how well it works on larger, more powerful calibers, but if I were wanting to suppress .22 LR only, I'd opt for the oil filter adapter option. Seems to work well enough in all the videos I've seen. It would be a good use for Fram filters anyhow. Inexpensive, and no clean up required.
    For those using the oil filter adapters, I think the adapter technically requires a tax stamp.
    G26Raven and Stirling XD like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    For those using the oil filter adapters, I think the adapter technically requires a tax stamp.
    Yes it does.
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I thought the same thing until I shot one of my buddy's. Now I own 5.

This is by my bed. Sig MCX short barrel with collapsible stock in 300 BLK. Subsonic 220's would make fast work of an intruder. A lot of guys that compete in PRS and PRL are using suppressors on their long guns. Significant reduction in recoil and sound (obviously). This means a lot less fatigue on everyone at the end of the day.

Attachment 313040

I wish somebody would make a suppressor that would shut my girlfriend up? Just sayin'...---Sturgis
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    True, but what about us folks that served? Fingerprints, mugshots, medical records, duty records, I even had the FBI show up at my Dad's house to talk to me just minutes after I got there driving from where I lived two states away for a visit while traveling to Ohio from Colorado! It was about something that happened when I was in the Air Force eight years prior but was because my younger brother had to get his Top Secret clearance to do his job in the Air Force. This happened before commercial computers, GPS, and cell phones. Talk about the feds knowing where you are every minute! This was in 1988. I can't believe they aren't monitoring me to this day... Hi guys! And up...y...rs
    ....."but what about us folks that served?".....

Yes, some of us served. If you haven't noticed yet, several high-ranking members of congress have already described us as potentially dangerous domestic terrorism threats simply because we served honorably, and thousands of veterans receiving medical treatment from the Veterans Administration have found that they can no longer pass the NICS background check for a simple firearms purchase. Why would I add NFA weapons to the government's files about me?

Retired Police Chief
    Formerly Sergeant, US Army airborne infantry (Vietnam 1969-71), top secret clearance.
    Combat Infantryman Badge
    Bronze Star Medal, V-device, oak leaf cluster
    Army Commendation medal, V-device, oak leaf cluster
    Purple Heart Medal, 3 oak leaf clusters
    Good Conduct Medal
    National Defense Service Medal
    Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, palm device
    Republic of Vietnam Service Medal
    Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
    Parachutist Badge
    Pathfinder Badge
    Presidential Unit Citation
    Republic of Vietnam Parachutist Badge
    Expert Marksman Badge (rifle, automatic rifle, machinegun, pistol, grenade launcher)

Not to mention the good stuff (husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather). Overall, just your typical older neighbor, although some have described me as dangerously handsome over the years (a curse I am forced to live with).

Quote Originally Posted by woolecox View Post
    I thought the same thing until I shot one of my buddy's. Now I own 5.

This is by my bed. Sig MCX short barrel with collapsible stock in 300 BLK.

Attachment 313040
    Not sure if itís just me but I canít see the picture. Mind I ask what can it is? I also have a short a MCX thatís why I ask.
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links