I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!

This is a discussion on I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every time I look at suppressors I think, "Okay, they look cool, and I can see some benefits, but!" They just don't make a lot ...

View Poll Results: If you own a suppressor, why did you buy it?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • For home defense

13 37.14%
  • For hunting

8 22.86%
  • For range use

11 31.43%
  • Because it is my right

9 25.71%
  • Because it looks cool

4 11.43%
  • Other

15 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!

Every time I look at suppressors I think, "Okay, they look cool, and I can see some benefits, but!" They just don't make a lot of sense to me.

I mean I get the whole ear protection thing, especially in your house, but really? I struggle with the cost of a good quality suppressor, looks like anything decent hovers right around $1000.00. I struggle with the bulk and length. I struggle with the tax stamp. If I get one, I have to buy a threaded barrel. I struggle with the fact that if I get one for my pistol, I can't carry it on a daily basis so it's only really good for at home, at night, if someone breaks in. And then they tell you that you should still wear ear protection...

I've thought about buying one for hunting and aside from the price, it means carrying a rifle that is a good 6 inches longer than I like for the wooded places I hunt. If I want to take it out of state for hunting I have to ask for permission?

Is there something I don't understand about suppressors? I like all things firearms, but I just don't feel the itch to buy a suppressor...
    Last edited by G26Raven; February 3rd, 2020 at 09:42 AM.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

VIP Member
    I came to the same conclusion as you.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I struggle with the bulk and length.
    Me too.
    G26Raven and Rabbit212 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You need an ďall of the aboveĒ option.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

On my wish list they are right up there with bump stocks.
    Bill

I like them simply because the gun is not as loud. There is no benefit to being loud. Also, the government doesnít want me to have them.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Every time I look at suppressors I think, "Okay, they look cool, and I can see some benefits, but!" They just don't make a lot of sense to me.

I mean I get the whole ear protection thing, especially in your house, but really? I struggle with the cost of a good quality suppressor, looks like anything decent hovers right around $1000.00. I struggle with the bulk and length. I struggle with the tax stamp. I struggle with the fact that if I get one for my pistol, I can't carry it on a daily basis so it's only really good for at home, at night, if someone breaks in. And then they tell you that you should still wear ear protection...

I've thought about buying one for hunting and aside from the price, it means carrying a rifle that is a good 6 inches longer than I like for the wooded places I hunt. If I want to take it out of state for hunting I have to ask for permission?

Is there something I don't understand about suppressors? I like all things firearms, but I just don't feel the itch to buy a suppressor...
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I came to the same conclusion as you.
    If they actually worked like they do in the movies Iíd be all over them. But they donít. Meh ...
    G26Raven and Militant like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    If they actually worked like they do in the movies Iíd be all over them. But they donít. Meh ...
    Yes, I heard that they are still too loud to use inside a house without ear protection.
    Hey if you want one, great!
    As for me I would rather spend my 1K on another gun.

Or ammo, or a hunt, or more training, or....
    hotShot likes this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Integral suppressors don't increase barrel length, and are legal on my air arms without having to jump through ATF hoops, which I refuse to do to comply with any of their ridiculous discriminatory restrictions that generate funds for them to further oppress otherwise law-abiding gun owners.

Since I reside in a suburban location, I can't legally discharge any kind of firearm without justifiable cause. So, this is why suppressors aren't on my wish list. At the range, I'm required to wear hearing and eye protection, which I always do anyway. So what's so practical about owning a can?
    G26Raven and Workaholic like this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

If the prices were a lot lower I might be interested in buying one but they are way above a reasonable price for what they are. I also do not want to deal with the extra paperwork that is involved with getting one.
    G26Raven and hotShot like this.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    99% of my shooting is at indoor ranges so a suppressor doesn't have much benefit for me. I'd rather have a set of ear muffs next to my HD guns than spend hundreds to thousands for a suppressor.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I've never once given thought to keeping ear protection in my nightstand next to my .45. If something is going bump in the night I want to be able to hear exactly where it is. So having a silenced weapon for home defense never made my radar.

And in all the years I've spent hunting, the muzzle blast never bothered me when taking a shot. As I was told early in life by my uncle, when you take the shot you won't notice the boom or the kick. And he was right.

And, at the range? What good would a silencer be if everyone else is shooting without one? You're still gonna need ear cover.

So, if the cool factor is what it comes down to, just spend $35 bucks on a fake suppressor.

Yes, I heard that they are still too loud to use inside a house without ear protection.
    Hey if you want one, great!
    Donít believe everything youíve heard.

Iíve fired suppressed pistols on an indoor range with no earpro, and it was nowhere near too loud; definitely not even close to painful, about the same as firing a .22 rifle outdoors without earpro.

Bare concrete walls and floor would be about the worst environment to have any noise attenuation, too.
    airslot, Paladin3840, OD* and 3 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I also struggled with the price, until I found them at a 60-75% discount. The 308 suppressor was 499 from 1499. A month later, the same vendor had the 5.56 unit for 349 from 1380. It took 10 1/2 months to get the tax stamps from ATF. Ridiculous !!

One private island where I hunt hogs requires running suppressed.

It's nice to be able to shoot the AR10 and Rem 700 without ear pro if I want. The 556 unit also works on the 22s and with subsonic ammo is pretty much like the movies. Unless your ammo is subsonic, you will always hear the supersonic crack of the bullet.

The 556 unit consists of two suppressors. The first is a "pressure regulator" that controls the initial blast of gas followed by a "signature reduction module" that lowers the Dbs. The first can be run by itself adding about 2 1/2" to the barrel length. The AR pistol I'm building has an 8 1/2" barrel with a 10" hand guard. The regulator alone extends less than an inch beyond the guard.

The suppressors are from OSS and incorporate their "Flow thru" design. There's no gas in your face from the ejection port on the ARs.

Pics
    1 556
    2 308
    3 Rem 700
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!-img_0595.jpg  

I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!-img_0596.jpg  

I don't get the whole suppressor thing - change my mind!-img_20180818_131153407.jpg  

MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links