My gripe about LED flashlights

This is a discussion on My gripe about LED flashlights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I totally love LED flashlights. They offer a lot of power in a small package and with good battery life. I probably ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: My gripe about LED flashlights

VIP Member

First of all, I totally love LED flashlights. They offer a lot of power in a small package and with good battery life. I probably have about 15 or more I've bought over the years.

Now the down side. Why can't I get a decent one with a plain ON/OFF function? I hate that on every one I buy these days, when you hit the OFF button, it first dims, then flashes, then turns green, then red, then blue, then whistles Dixie. Who would ever need all that crap? I'm tired of wondering what "mode" my flashlight will be in when I turn it on. I'm also tired of having to cycle through eight functions to turn it off.

It's ridiculous. I want the following:

I press the button once, it turns on at full power.
    I press it again, it turns off.

End of discussion.

I know. First world problems.

Anyone else a bit aggravated by this?
    Last edited by SpringerXD; February 19th, 2020 at 10:17 AM.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Uh No.
    OldChap and G26Raven like this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Yup. Irks me, too.

Oddly enough, I bought a keychain-sized mini flashlight from the grocery store for about $3. Twist the barrel to turn it on, twist it the other way to turn it off.

It gives out enough light that I carry it on my morning runs when the sun hasn't hit the horizon, yet. Who'd-a thunk?
    SpringerXD, msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    Yup. Irks me, too.

Oddly enough, I bought a keychain-sized mini flashlight from the grocery store for about $3. Twist the barrel to turn it on, twist it the other way to turn it off.

It gives out enough light that I carry it on my morning runs when the sun hasn't hit the horizon, yet. Who'd-a thunk?
    I have a cheap one from Amazon on my key ring. Even it goes to dim, then to flashing, before I can turn it off. Very annoying. It's like these flashlight makers somehow think they're giving us "more" by doing this.
    msgt/ret likes this.

-miklcolt45

I get a little irritated that my LED flashlight won't make a pot of coffee for me, but other than that, I'm good.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I would love to find a high power LED flashlight with just an on/off switch and a single mode.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I carry a flashlight in my pocket, always. I like to have both high and low choices, but I despise the strobe function. Never got into disco.

To help conserve battery juice I mostly use low power for everyday/night stuff.

What really pees in my cheerios, is my nightstand flashlight. I never know what I'm gonna get with that one. But boy, when it finally hits high beam, it's BRIGHT.

YES!

All I want is a simple flashlight and runs somewhere between 20 and 80 lumens, runs on a single AA battery, and has a tail switch and is RELIABLE.

No, I am not interested in having 300 different modes to it, I just want it to turn on and off.

No, I do not want to be able to shine a light on something that is 5 miles away, if it is more than 10 or 15 yards away, I am not interested in it.

No, I am not interested in blinding or disorienting somebody, I just want to be able to see where I am going in the dark.

Up until now, I have been using A small Nebo light that fits all except one of my requirements. It is not reliable. It is a simple 20 lumen light that runs on a single AA battery and has a press button switch on the tail end of it. I liked it so much that I then bought a few more so that i could have one by my bed, my desk and in each car. Unfortunately, I have found that over time the switches have become unreliable (and by "over time" I mean months, and still on the first battery, not years). After turning it on, I have to knock it against something once or twice for the light to actually come on. Aside from that, it is perfect.

And NO, this is not a self defense tool. It is merely a simple flash light that allows me to see in the dark, say for instance if I want to get up in the middle of the night without waking up the wife by turning on the overhead light (of course, at this point that really is a moot point because I wake her up anyway when I have to bang it to get the light to actually come on).

Why is it so hard to find something like that that has a reliable switch????
    hotShot, SpringerXD and ETXhiker like this.

None of my streamlight or surefire lights have ever done this. Neither does the bushnell light that I have now that I think about it.
    ETXhiker and matthew03 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    YES!

All I want is a simple flashlight and runs somewhere between 20 and 80 lumens, runs on a single AA battery, and has a tail switch and is RELIABLE.

No, I am not interested in having 300 different modes to it, I just want it to turn on and off.
    Exactly. What makes them think we need or want all of that crap? I've taken a chance on a few from Amazon. Some are decent, some are not. I actually bought one from them that makes a SQUARE beam. I kid you not. It makes a square beam that looks like it has little jail bars going across it.

I'm also a fan of the tail switch/button. I hate the whole "press once for this, twice for that," etc....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    No, I do not want to be able to shine a light on something that is 5 miles away, if it is more than 10 or 15 yards away, I am not interested in it.

No, I am not interested in blinding or disorienting somebody, I just want to be able to see where I am going in the dark.
    I'm a bit of a "lumen hound," meaning that I like the higher power sometimes. When I get a notion, it's fun to light up a treetop over a mile away. But for an everyday light, I want simple and reliable.
    ETXhiker likes this.

-miklcolt45

I have a Surefire Tactician. It doesn't work like that at all. Set the front bezel for low or high. Set the tail cap for momentary on (as long as you hold the button) or twist the tail cap to keep it on as long as you need. Simple and reliable.
    5lima30ret and ETXhiker like this.
    You are your own first responder.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    None of my quality lights do this, the cheap junk $2 lights? Sure but not the decent ones. You're just buying the wrong lights.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Exactly. What makes them think we need or want all of that crap? I've taken a chance on a few from Amazon. Some are decent, some are not. I actually bought one from them that makes a SQUARE beam. I kid you not. It makes a square beam that looks like it has little jail bars going across it.

I'm also a fan of the tail switch/button. I hate the whole "press once for this, twice for that," etc....

I'm a bit of a "lumen hound," meaning that I like the higher power sometimes. When I get a notion, it's fun to light up a treetop over a mile away. But for an everyday light, I want simple and reliable.
    My Fenix PD36R turns on and off without going into another mode. It has five power levels, the brightest being 1,600 lumens, the lowest is 30, I think. I find the 2nd or 3rd setting works best for general purposes. I have a few LED lights, but the PD36R is my favorite.
    matthew03 likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Malkoff and Elzetta make single stage lights.
    matthew03 and surefire7 like this.
    --Jason--

If you can find an older Surefire e1 or e2, they were single mode but use CR123 batteries.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links