Reloading for Accuracy (9mm) - Page 2

Reloading for Accuracy (9mm)

This is a discussion on Reloading for Accuracy (9mm) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by AndyK If you want accuracy as your priority, use a better quality than extreme. You would be better of with quality FMJ. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Reloading for Accuracy (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    If you want accuracy as your priority, use a better quality than extreme. You would be better of with quality FMJ. Also, you want a single stage press. Progressives are great for volume but won' t match a single stage for consistency.
    The only caliber ive reloaded in the past have been my 308 match and although I had a dillon setup for it, I would weigh each powder charge out on a scale. I dont know if Ill be able to continue w that on large scale though. With pistol you go through 5-10 times the amount of ammo that I would on a bolt action rifle. I will be watching checking though to see what variance there might be in the press and change up if its not working out

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    TG is too low volume for my tastes.
    Low volume?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Low volume?
    There's some space left after bullet seating. TG is not position sensitive, so it doesn't affect powder burn.
    rocky likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Gottcha, thanks

I remember reading an article about trimming 9m/m cases to a uniform length will make a difference in accuracy. Never tried it because I am satisfied with what I get from my 9s.
    PhillySoldier likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    If you want accuracy as your priority, use a better quality than extreme. You would be better of with quality FMJ. Also, you want a single stage press. Progressives are great for volume but won' t match a single stage for consistency.
    We may have to agree to disagree on your statement concerning Single Stage versus Progressive. Do you think that commercial manufactures have thousands and thousands of elves working single stage presses to produce the vast quantities of ammunition produced ? A progressive or single stage press is only as good quality wise as the operator's attention to detail. I am not a Handloader but rather a Reloader there is a difference and the quality of the ammunition I produce is not suspect. I load in batches of 500 at a time. Its the ease of production rather than the rate of production that makes the progressive press a useful tool. I'd rather be at the range shooting than handloading with a single stage press.
    flintlock62 likes this.

Just my guess but if I were going to load for accuracy only in a semi auto handgun, I would start with matched cases. Trimmed and beveled to be identical. Even the flashholes should be identical. I would be looking at lead bullets that were properly fitted to the bore of the gun,[you may need a custom sizing die to get the best fit.] And you are going to have to play with burn rates of powders to get something that is completely consumed before the bullet leaves the barrel. [ That's why TG, HP38, and Bullseye come to mind].

Find some books on Bullseye competition and pay close attn to the chapters on reloading. Revolvers were the King of that sport for many years because they allowed the use of flat nosed bullets. the wadcutter bullets cut a nice round hole in the target. That nice round hole is so much easier to score, and measure groups from. But they have made some bullets for semi auto pistols to shoot in bullseye competition that had round noses but still had a sharp shoulder to cut the target.

Good luck DR
    PhillySoldier likes this.

Get a progressive, load a ton of rounds and work on your shooting. Much bigger gains to be made there. No one bench rests a 9mm. Really want to improve your trigger control and shooting ability in general? Get a S&W 986.
    dennis40x likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I think you'll find bullet length (related to bullet weight) to have a greater influence on accuracy than your selection of powder or primer. Further, the bullet that gives the best accuracy in one 9mm probably won't do the same in a different brand gun. Chamber dimensions, barrel length and rifling twist rate will all influence your net accuracy to some extent. A friend who is a great USPSA competitor swears by 135 gr bullets and Vihtavuori powder for his CZs but uses a different combination for his 9mm 1911.

I'm curious as to your specific goal. Is this an "academic" experiment (for the sake of experimentation), are you trying to achieve X-ring accuracy for bullseye shooting, or what I call "practical" accuracy for the action games?
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Absolutely. I already figured as much as far as creating different loads per gun. As far as case trimming and OAL, does that also differ per gun (within the same caliber)?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm curious as to your specific goal. Is this an "academic" experiment (for the sake of experimentation), are you trying to achieve X-ring accuracy for bullseye shooting, or what I call "practical" accuracy for the action games?
    Bullseye shooting. I go to the range 1-3 times per week and just always trying to improve my shot groups. Right now I shoot about 1,500 rounds per month and looking to increase that in the future.
    BBMike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Low volume?
    TG takes up very little case space. Many loads can hold a double charge of TG and still seat a bullet. One slip up is bad news. Higher volume powders would spill over with an overload or not leave enough space to seat the bullet..
    rocky and PhillySoldier like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    I remember reading an article about trimming 9m/m cases to a uniform length will make a difference in accuracy. Never tried it because I am satisfied with what I get from my 9s.
    I donít even own a case trimmer for handgun calibers. I havenít measured to see what variation exists in my cases, but they donít usually stretch like rifle brass does. Just my opinion, but at normal handgun shooting distances, there just isnít enough difference than can be made for it to be worth it anyway
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I donít even own a case trimmer for handgun calibers. I havenít measured to see what variation exists in my cases, but they donít usually stretch like rifle brass does. Just my opinion, but at normal handgun shooting distances, there just isnít enough difference than can be made for it to be worth it anyway
    I've never found the need to trim straight wall handgun cases, save for the 44 mag
    OldVet, dennis40x and Havok like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    TG takes up very little case space. Many loads can hold a double charge of TG and still seat a bullet. One slip up is bad news. Higher volume powders would spill over with an overload or not leave enough space to seat the bullet..
    I have to agree with monitoring for double charging. The powder I didn't mention is VV N340. It's probably the most accurate, but it costs more. At 5.0 grn or less, it goes a long way.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links