100'gr. Berrys 380 plated bullet load question

This is a discussion on 100'gr. Berrys 380 plated bullet load question within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I found several loads with various powders for 100 gr. Bullets on both Alliant and Hodgedon sites, however, all loads were for FMJ bullets, none ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By buckshotshorty

Thread: 100'gr. Berrys 380 plated bullet load question

I found several loads with various powders for 100 gr. Bullets on both Alliant and Hodgedon sites, however, all loads were for FMJ bullets, none were for plated. I'm looking in particular at the max load listed by Hodgedon of 3.1gr. HP-38/231. What concerns me is plated bullets are listed @ .356" while FMJ are .355".

So what do you load in 380 or what would you load for 100gr Berrys bullet? Thanks.

I am loading Berrys 100 Gr on top of 3.0 grains of bullseye-I cant recall right off what my seat depth is.Berrys tells customers to load like a FMJ.
    THE CROW

Senior Moderator
    The 0.001" difference will hardly matter. In general, plated bullets are loaded like lead, rather than jacketed, but I can't speak to .380 directly. That rule of thumb certainly holds true for the other handgun calibers I load.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yup, 3gr Bullseye for the 100 Berry’s. Tried lesser loads but my LCPll doesn’t like em.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Thanks for the help and responses. I think the 3.0 load of Bullseye is the way I'm going to go. .........appreciate the help.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    As noted above, try to find lead data to use. The size difference is common (and desired), it helps seal the bore and prevent the escape of gasses (do a search if you want detailed info). With 100 gr Xtreme plated I use 3.0 gr of 231/HP38. No problems.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Anyone using TiteGroup?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    Anyone using TiteGroup?
    I am. 2.9 grains of TG with a COAL of 0.960 with 100 grain Xtremes. My Sig P238s hate the longer COAL and that's where I ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    I am. 2.9 grains of TG with a COAL of 0.960 with 100 grain Xtremes. My Sig P238s hate the longer COAL and that's where I ended up.
    Thanks ThirdShift. I have 1000 bullets inbound from Xtreme and a good deal of TG on hand. I also ordered some once fired 380 cases that are inbound. I hope it works out well cause I'd like to make your load my production load.

Although I've been reloading since 1972 I'm new to 380 reloading and I appreciate your help 😀
    Your OAL seems perfect since there is a .020" difference in height between RN and FP and I have been setting my RN @ .980"
    ThirdShift likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    Thanks ThirdShift. I have 1000 bullets inbound from Xtreme and a good deal of TG on hand. I also ordered some once fired 380 cases that are inbound. I hope it works out well cause I'd like to make your load my production load.

Although I've been reloading since 1972 I'm new to 380 reloading and I appreciate your help 😀
    Your OAL seems perfect since there is a .020" difference in height between RN and FP and I have been setting my RN @ .980"
    You're welcome. It took a little bit to develop that one with the 238. It was really fussy on OAL. Glad I could help.

Sponsored Links