Where to start - Page 2

Where to start

This is a discussion on Where to start within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have not tried the CFE pistol. I liked CFE for the .223 loads I made. I like Unique for my .45 ACP. That and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Where to start

I have not tried the CFE pistol. I liked CFE for the .223 loads I made.

I like Unique for my .45 ACP. That and a 230 gr XTP have produced some fun rounds that feel like they would do the trick. One thing I would recommend is a chronograph. I do not have one, and it is the one thing I feel is lacking in my set up. It will give you "real" information.
    Techer40 and Struckat like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

It depends on how large a range there is between the min and max loads listed.

I always check at least two sources, generally the powder manufacturer and the bullet manufacturer if they have a load listed for the combination listed for the powder/bullet combination i am looking for. Once I have at least two references that I trust (while loads that others have given on the Internet or in gun magazines are a good reference, they are not trusted sources and while I do consider them, I do not take them as being reliable) I will start well below my desired velocity goal. This is usually in the middle or lower end of the listed range.

I generally end up pretty close to the listed powder load for my desired velocity and have on occasion been right at the max listed load, I have never gone beyond the max load given in whatever source I have decided to use. Keep in mind here that different sources (powder manufacturer, bullet manufacturer, reloading manuals) will list different ranges for their min - max load based on their testing methodology so if you are at, or near the listed max load you should still be checking for signs of over pressure. Of course, I do spend a good amount of time beforehand looking at the numbers for different powders to make sure that the selected powder will give me the results I am looking for before I even begin my testing. I don't even begin with a powder if the loads listed in the authoritative sources don't cover the results I am looking for.

As an example, for 45 ACP I settled on BE86 because I was looking for a powder that would give me close to 900 fps for a 230gr JHP and would also give me what I was looking for in 9mm. I found that with BE86. Max load for BE86 with a 230gr JHP is 6.8gr, resulting in a listed velocity of 927 fps. I started out at 6gr of powder and worked up in .2gr increments until i got to what I was happy with. My end result was 6.3gr of BE86 giving me 905fps with the 230gr Speer GDHP.
    Techer40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    I wonder if anyone ever got positive results from loads at the bottom of the data. I always start in the middle , which in my experiance is usually too low, and work up from there. Save yourself some time, bullets and powder and at start 1/4 of the way up. Also a suggestion, when I work up new loads, only load ten, bump up .2 grains load ten etc, etc. When accuracy falls off I make a note and shoot the rest off unless there are signs of over pressure. I've never had to pull more than ten bullets this way. When testing new loads I always use a rest so I know it's not me that's off.
    Some advice for loading .40 S&W. Don't over expand the case mouth. Just expand it enough so the bullet base doesn't scrape on the case mouth. The bullet shouldn't drop in more than 1/16" max. You want as much neck tension as possible. Do not over crimp. That will make your bullet loose in the case because it compresses the bullet and the case springs back leaving no tension. I just crimp enough to close the case mouth. Measure your OAL. Push your cartridge upside down on a hardwood table as hard as you can, measure again. No movement, you're good to go.
    Techer40 likes this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I start with the lower to mid-range, not the bottom though. Many developers of load ranges use test barrels to figure velocities and pressures with no regard as to whether it will cycle the actions of all pistols. Maximum loads, in my experience, seldom give best overall performance. Expecting to duplicate the values in generic load data is akin to chasing unicorns. Develop for your gun, not what Hodgdon, Nosler, Hornady, etc., used.
    redmc likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

One question I have is which manual did you buy and what are you using for bullets? I try to use data from the company that makes the bullets I am loading. I use a lot of copper plated from xtreme bullets and I contacted them where to get data and they said the Speer manual would be the best.

I usually start at the middle and usually don't go much hotter than that for plinking. The CFE pistol is good powder and meters very well. The only plinking rounds I have used it for is .380 so far and have loaded some carry rounds for my wife in .380 as well. I hope to use for some carry rounds at some point with other calibers.

Start at the bottom, load about 10 rounds, bump it up .2 grains and load another ten. Repeat till you hit the middle of the powder spread and go shoot em. See which is most accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    One question I have is which manual did you buy and what are you using for bullets?
    I generally consult several sources if trying a new load/powder. I have a few paper manuals and also check on the web.

I had been buying my bullets mostly at Cabela's. We had a local one and they often had sales on reloading stuff, which brought the prices in line with mail order. But our Cabela's has been re-branded to a Bass Pro and they have not had any sales on reloading stuff since BP bought them out. So Precision Delta is getting my bullet business now. If you buy 2000 at a time, their prices are very reasonable, especially with the free shipping. And the copper is thicker than the Xtreme or Berry's bullets I had been using. Enough to rate them as FMJ instead of plated.

I agree with Old Vet, feed the gun what it likes,

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    I agree with Old Vet, feed the gun what it likes,
    Bucking for a Christmas card?
    Glock2201 and redmc like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Bucking for a Christmas card?
    Yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    Yeah..
    Good luck with that. I agree with him all the time and have not seen a Christmas card yet.
    redmc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Good luck with that. I agree with him all the time and have not seen a Christmas card yet.
    You're not getting one. Agreed?
    Glock2201 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links