Reloading

Reloading

This is a discussion on Reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have purchased 40 Cal. 180 grain Berry's bullets FN. I am using Unique powder & Winchester primers. I can not find Loading Data for ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Reloading

Reloading

I have purchased 40 Cal. 180 grain Berry's bullets FN. I am using Unique powder & Winchester primers. I can not find Loading Data for Berry's bullets. I did find it for my Govener, but can not find that web address. Any Data on how much powder I should be dropping? I have been using 6.7 grains. Thanks!

Assuming these are plated bullets you can use cast data for it.
    gasmitty, Old Man, Taxman and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

I bet you'll get some good answers if you scroll down the page to "Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics". That forum also covers reloading.
    MSG Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Retired PI/Armed Security
    M&P40, M&P40C

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from AZ!

The astute reloader will have at least two good reloading manuals on hand. The trouble with getting load data from non-manufacturers on the internet is that anecdotal advice comes with no pedigree. If I meant to type 5.7 grains of Unique but transposed the numbers and actually wrote 7.5 - oops, I'm sorry! Your gun may not be very forgiving of that kind of error.

Not all loading manuals have the full gamut of recipes covering all bullet weights, styles and powders for a given caliber. But you'll find loads similar to what you need that will give you good starting points. I'm fond of the Lee, Lyman and Hodgdon manuals. If you had to pick just one, I'd suggest the Lee, which publishes nearly all verified data available, even if it's not their own.

Speaking in general terms, jacketed bullets take more powder to achieve given velocities than lead bullets, and plated bullets are pretty similar in load characteristics to lead.

Are you loading for practice or competition?
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the DC Forum. The Berry's website has this to say about load data under the tab Frequently asked questions:

Question: Do you have load data available? COL or OAL?
    Please consult load data books or your powder manufacturers' website for load information. You can use any published data as long as it is the same weight (FMJ, Lead, Plated, etc.).

I have loaded several thousand of the Barry's plated bullets, primarily in 9mm. I normally use recipes arrived at by looking at several loading manuals, but unfortunately for .40 S&W my old reloading manuals don't contain data for it.

Going to the Aliant Powder website I found a recipe of 6.5 grains of Unique under a 180 grain Speer copper plated flat nose bullet with a minimum OAL of 1.120 inches. They list 6.7 grains of Unique as the maximum load for a 180 Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point bullet. With this data, without consulting any other reloading manuals, I would say that you are near the maximum recommended load at 6.7 grains of Unique.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Welcome. I echo the comment on have good reloading manuals on hand! They are an excellent investment for any reloader and much cheaper than making a catastrophic mistake.

Using lead data, Lyman 50 shows 4.7-4.8 as start loads with Unique for two different lead bullet designs BUT this is for 175 gr bullets. The max is shown to be 5.8 gr, so based on this single data source (I haven't looked at my other manuals) for a slightly lighter bullet, your load seems quite high.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Assuming these are plated bullets you can use cast data for it.
    Thanks for the info.
    Havok likes this.

Thanks for the info.

I am using Alliant Powder data. It calls for 6.7 gr. That is with a Speer GDHP bullet. I will take a look at Lyman reloading info. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

Mainly practice now. I used to compete with my Springfiels 1911 indoors, but developed tendinitis. I still compete in outdoor steel tank shoots, but nothing like in my younger years. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by jgreaves View Post
    I have purchased 40 Cal. 180 grain Berry's bullets FN. I am using Unique powder & Winchester primers. I can not find Loading Data for Berry's bullets. I did find it for my Govener, but can not find that web address. Any Data on how much powder I should be dropping? I have been using 6.7 grains. Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum. Wouldn't this be better placed in the reloading forum?
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Wouldn't this be better placed in the reloading forum?
    New member had a question... it's OK here for now.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Greetings and Salutations from Washington!
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links