Five duds?! - Page 2

Five duds?!

This is a discussion on Five duds?! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by OldVet Nevermind . . . Rounds don't fire with no powder in them. D'oh! Now I have to figure out how that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Five duds?!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nevermind . . .

Rounds don't fire with no powder in them. D'oh! Now I have to figure out how that happened.
    Count your luck that you didn't have a squib load followed by a good round.

Five rounds would be one row with one of my reloading trays. If it happened to me, I would have skipped the powder on a row and not verified my powder prior to seating bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Count your luck that you didn't have a squib load followed by a good round.

Five rounds would be one row with one of my reloading trays. If it happened to me, I would have skipped the powder on a row and not verified my powder prior to seating bullets.
    Apparently that is what happened, yet I still do not know how I did that. A rookie mistake by a seasoned reloader.
    Old Man and retired badge 1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    Apparently that is what happened, yet I still do not know how I did that. A rookie mistake by a seasoned reloader.
    Humble Pie.....jeepers....who ARE you, and what have you done with our beloved OldVet?!

OldVet and Old Man like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Humble Pie.....jeepers....who ARE you, and what have you done with our beloved OldVet?!

I'm his saintly twin. He's on vacation.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    I’m surprised you didn’t snuff him in the womb when you had the chance.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Nevermind . . .

Rounds don't fire with no powder in them. D'oh! Now I have to figure out how that happened.
    Powder or not a primer goes bang. Are you saying the primer fired?

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Are you saying the primer fired?
    Yep. No audible pop, bullets didn't budge. They just sooted the bullet bases.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Five rounds without powder?
    One really needs to inspect for powder before placing a bullet on the case. I know it is harder with bottleneck cases, but I still do it.
    I am not sure there is a powder-check die that would work well for bottleneck cases.
    Bench-mounted powder measure, I charge the case, inspect it for powder height, and immediately seat a bullet. I hate load trays and read too many times someone missed a case that had no powder.
    On the press, I still inspect, but I also watch the powder measure as it cycles (all the way up and all the way down).

You were lucky that the force of the primer did not drive the bullet into the bore. I have seen that happen more than once.

Years ago when I owned a couple of registered automatic weapons I made a point of never firing reloaded ammo in them. Too great a chance for a squib load with bullet lodged in the bore followed by another round or two! Good method for destroying a high-dollar firearm.

I jump to the conclusion that you noticed the bullet was still in the case of the hand ejected rounds. Let us know what went wrong.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Or are you like me this week, seriously sleep deprived. You're in Florida, as I recall. Too much going on there to sleep properly, it seems.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Or are you like me this week, seriously sleep deprived. You're in Florida, as I recall. Too much going on there to sleep properly, it seems.
    I blame my sleep apnea . . . Yeah, that's my excuse.
    RedSafety likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    sleep apnea, a MIL who refuses to sleep at night, whether she sleeps or is awake all day, and deep depression from not being allowed to think or feel without being condemned by my mommy. THat's why I left her for two and a half years. But that's another story. I just shouldn't have trusted those 6 months of sudden quiet.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

A simple way to verify no empties or double loads after loading a batch is to use an electronic scale. It's a simple and fast QC method.

Place one empty case and a bullet on a scale, reset the tare so it's zeroed, then set each loaded round on the scale.

There will be some variation from brass and bullet differences, but roughly the charge weight should show on each loaded round. If it's near zero or double the charge there's a problem.
    OldVet and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Glad you found the answer (but I'm sure it isn't the one you wanted!) and that the outcome wasn't worse. It is pretty surprising that none of the primers pushed the bullet into the barrel which could have ended badly. Sometime us not so young guys need to relearn the hard lessons we learned in the past.
    OldVet likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links