Saving money reloading.... - Page 3

Saving money reloading....

This is a discussion on Saving money reloading.... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he spends the rest of his life riding ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: Saving money reloading....

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he spends the rest of his life riding around in a boat drinking beer.
    G26Raven, airslot and oldIthink like this.

I mainly reload 38/357 and while the initial investment is costly, once past that you do save money. Whatever you reload a thousand reloads costs 1/4 to 1/2 of factory ammo. Plus you can reload ammo that you can't find in the store. Try walking into any gun store to buy a box of 38 wadcutters!
    Havok and airslot like this.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

I have found one serious drawback to reloading...policing my brass. I just don't bend over the way I used to; my equipment shed roof is in the way. Two bad knees also slow things down. And each of my pistols throws the brass in different directions. Sometimes I wish had had some kids, but that wouldn't help me at this age.

I do have a newbie question about the legality of carrying home made. I've heard rumors that reloads are regarded poorly in a court room regardless of whether it was a good call or not. Any truth to that rumor? A new thread may be called for ... or not.
    BBMike likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

1. I have saved over $10,000 reloading over the past 50 or so years. Of course I started with $20,000.

2. Its another part of the hobby I enjoy.

3. Never ran short during Obama years.

Picking up brass is a pain. The tool sold at Tractor Supply for picking up pecans and walnuts is a great tool for picking up brass. Sucks for .380 but .45 ACP works good.

Plus its another skill I have passed down to kids and grand kids. They may never do it after I'm gone, but they know how to if needed.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My "zeroth" Law of Reloading: you will NOT save money - you wiill shoot MORE for the same money!
    That is if you don't shoot More and spend MORE money because you're Saving money by reloading.

I know I used to shoot 25K or more a year while playing IPSC and I'd have never hit 10% of that if I wasn't reloading and I would not have gone IPSC shooting at all.
    G26Raven and gasmitty like this.
    Joe

Just like my wife saves money on shoes.

Shoot more for the same $$$.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    I do have a newbie question about the legality of carrying home made. I've heard rumors that reloads are regarded poorly in a court room regardless of whether it was a good call or not. Any truth to that rumor? A new thread may be called for ... or not.
    Whether you are carrying handloads or store bought ammo does not change whether the shooting fits the criteria of self defense or not. Ive heard people say this too, but there are no examples where it has ever changed the outcome of the case.
    Rabbit212 and oldIthink like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Nobody saves money reloading. They just shoot more. Or, they just lack the imagination to realize they can shoot more.
    Rabbit212 and G26Raven like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    That is if you don't shoot More and spend MORE money because you're Saving money by reloading.

I know I used to shoot 25K or more a year while playing IPSC and I'd have never hit 10% of that if I wasn't reloading and I would not have gone IPSC shooting at all.
    So true. I backed off the matches and serious practice for the latter half of 2019 due to problems with the dominant eye, not shooting at all since early November. During that hiatus I loaded up about 1500 each of 9mm and .45, thinking that'll cover my needs until about May. Just started shooting again mid-January and already my 9mm reserves are halfway depleted!
    BBMike and G26Raven like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    I have found one serious drawback to reloading...policing my brass. I just don't bend over the way I used to; my equipment shed roof is in the way. Two bad knees also slow things down. And each of my pistols throws the brass in different directions. Sometimes I wish had had some kids, but that wouldn't help me at this age.
    https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel...JE2M2SA7991MJ8
    G26Raven likes this.

I save enough money reloading that I can afford to shoot every week, and take the entire amount spent off my taxes.
    Havok and G26Raven like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Whether I save any money is a toss-up. Never tried figuring it out. I like reloading. In my mind I am saving money and enjoying it while Iím at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links