Sorting brass? - Page 2

Sorting brass?

This is a discussion on Sorting brass? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by G26Raven I take the time to look at and examine every case for defects and caliber before I put it in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sorting brass?

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I take the time to look at and examine every case for defects and caliber before I put it in the press. But then I am retired and have a lot of time. I am sure there are probably much more efficient methods, but I don't know what they are...
    I'm not retired, and don't necessarily have the time, but I visually sort my brass all the same. Even with my diminished eyesight, it's not difficult to look at the head stamp. I also inspect for signs the case has lived its life and it's time to bury them, so to speak. Most of the time, the mouth of the case is first to fail. It splits because of a combination of hydrogen embrittlement, and over-flaring the case mouth. I load all my 40 S&W brass a maximum of 10 times, even I don't see signs of fatigue. I've loaded them in the past, up to 20 times, but brass is not that expensive. To me, it's a hobby, and I'm not that concerned with how many I can load in an hour. It may be necessary to mention that any brand of brass can have on occasional bad batch. That's one reason I decided to limit to 10 reloads. I've seen new factory brass exhibit a split on the first shot or second, and no longer reloadable. Rare, but i've seen it.
    G26Raven likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The 9x18 Makarov is a larger diameter case and bullet, .363-ish versus the 9mm Para .355. I convert 9x19 cases to 9x18 but they don't chamber in my 9x19 gun afterwards.
    Right up until it goes through a 9mm FL die, 9mm Expander and has a .355" bullet seated and taper crimped. Then they drop right into a 9mm SAMMI Chamber checker for loaded rounds and just come up a little bit below the edge.

I managed to reload a bunch of them.

They'll fire in a pistol as the extractor will create an artificial headspace.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I usually pick them out by hand, which sucks, but for the ones I miss, I catch them when they pop out of the shell plate as I try to prime them!
    Same here. It just interrupts the rhythm and have to reset the primer. And, hopefully remember to index. ....
    Havok likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Iíve ordered the sorting trays. Iíll just tell DelightfulYouthfulGal theyíre for the kitchen.
    dangerranger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    This has saved me hours and hours of time sorting brass. And they sell a plate for 380.

$50 looks like a lot for three plastic bowls but believe me, itís worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-...s%2C160&sr=8-1
    Those work great. But, you'll also need the steel .380 plate (the plastic doesn't have tight enough tolerance) to sort the .380 from the 9mm: https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-...FB21K53CDRD1KB
    dangerranger and Chuck R. like this.

I sort and sell a lot of range brass. I use this setup,
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1019428676?pid=692917.

Be sure to get the metal plate upgrade to sort 9mm from.380. It works well enough for uncleaned range brass, but like our resident curmudgeon I stand those I load for myself on end. I have a couple of plastic food serving trays I use for this. DR
    Chuck R. likes this.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    After a while, you find they are pretty easy to tell apart with the eye. Beyond that, a 40 won't fit 9mm dies, so that's easy. The 380 however will fit. If I miss sorting out a piece of 380 brass, there are two tells: when you put it through the sizing die it goes in and out much more easily than a 9mm case; second (if you use a progressive) when one goes into the shell plate with 9mm brass beside it you can tell that the 380 is shorter. Unless you aren't paying attention or trying to go too fast, you can pick them out.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    My two most reloaded rounds are .38 Super and .45acp. They're real easy to tell apart if you don't run into someone else's lost cases. Then you can have trouble.

The main reason for my post is to drop a tip for finding split cases.

Once you have picked up a handful of cases, cup your hands together and shake the cases in your hands. If all the cases are good you will hear the cases ringing. If there is a split case in the bunch there will be a distinct clinking sound. Sort through the cases and find it. Then do it again 'cause there could be another one. Repeat as needed.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    My two most reloaded rounds are .38 Super and .45acp. They're real easy to tell apart if you don't run into someone else's lost cases. Then you can have trouble.

The main reason for my post is to drop a tip for finding split cases.

Once you have picked up a handful of cases, cup your hands together and shake the cases in your hands. If all the cases are good you will hear the cases ringing. If there is a split case in the bunch there will be a distinct clinking sound. Sort through the cases and find it. Then do it again 'cause there could be another one. Repeat as needed.
    Good advice . . . except for those of us who can't hear anything except our tinnitus ringing!
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Good advice . . . except for those of us who can't hear anything except our tinnitus ringing!
    The clinking is distinctive enough even those of us with tinnitus can hear it.
    Joe

I inspect each case, deprime, and place the case in the right bin. Been doing it this way for about 30 years. With case feeders on the 1050, it is even more important to properly sort.
    And, no, not all of us can hear the clank even with decent hearing.
    I would think that a 9x19 sizing die would allow a 9x18 Mak to chamber, but I never tried. The one 9x18 Mak I found was tossed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links