Sorting brass?

Sorting brass?

This is a discussion on Sorting brass? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Does anyone have any good advice for sorting out .380 from 9mm from .40 brass? Turns out that Iím pretty good at putting 9mm loads ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sorting brass?

Sorting brass?

Does anyone have any good advice for sorting out .380 from 9mm from .40 brass? Turns out that Iím pretty good at putting 9mm loads into .380 cases and I just donít need that sort of excitement in my life.

I take the time to look at and examine every case for defects and caliber before I put it in the press. But then I am retired and have a lot of time. I am sure there are probably much more efficient methods, but I don't know what they are...
    TimGunn, OldVet, Struckat and 2 others like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Iím presently loading about 1000 rnds of 9mm per week just to keep up with demand (thereís two of us consuming this). The .40 doesnít fit. So, thatís good. .380, on the other hand does. Thankfully, when fired the projectile exits the proper hole. The smoke and subsequent FTE just alert the onlookers of my stupidity. Every so often we collect some extra brass and thatís how the .380 enters the work stream. Being pistol loads, I donít bother trimming. These are just target loads.
    Kenny53 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I stand all my 9mm cases on end. The shorter 9x17 ones get booted out of line. That leaves only the 9x19s. Then again, you can add a few 9x18 Makarovs into the mix just to make it challenging.
    G26Raven, Struckat and Chuck R. like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

You could probably make a crude case sorter, to separate 9mm from .380; but I dunno 'bout no .40 stuff.

I envision a down-slanted trough with a midpoint constriction which will pass only .380-length cases. The .380s would continue rolling down the chute, while the 9mm stuff would stop and wait to be picked up, or could be shoved off to the side.

But the Curmugeon seems to have a better idea...
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    You made the Christmas card list.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    This has saved me hours and hours of time sorting brass. And they sell a plate for 380.

$50 looks like a lot for three plastic bowls but believe me, itís worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-...s%2C160&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    This has saved me hours and hours of time sorting brass. And they sell a plate for 380.

$50 looks like a lot for three plastic bowls but believe me, itís worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-...s%2C160&sr=8-1
    Ouch! But, it requires no batteries nor OS upgrades. Low tech. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    You could probably make a crude case sorter, to separate 9mm from .380; but I dunno 'bout no .40 stuff.

I envision a down-slanted trough with a midpoint constriction which will pass only .380-length cases. The .380s would continue rolling down the chute, while the 9mm stuff would stop and wait to be picked up, or could be shoved off to the side.

Thatís where my mind was going. Then I remembered that I donít have the skills to make it. Well, the patience.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I stand all my 9mm cases on end. The shorter 9x17 ones get booted out of line. That leaves only the 9x19s. Then again, you can add a few 9x18 Makarovs into the mix just to make it challenging.
    Thatís really old school. I bet my router could cut a trough to do that. Just hoping to avoid handling these individually or repeatedly.

VIP Member
    For all the years when Gramps was reloading he kept the dirty cases separated - done upon return from each range trip - in separate containers. He only cleaned one caliber at a time, and kept those cleaned cases separated also. He had a big problem with high primers (specifically in 9mm rounds), but no problem with wrong caliber cases.

He didn't process 1,000 loads every week though. OOPS - just re-read your second post on this thread. I see you are using 1000 rounds of 9mm every week and that an occasional "range pick up" .380 case sneaks into the mix. I guess that's a different situation which may call for you to mark your own rounds when you load them, and only pick up the brass with your mark on them.

Knowing that a lot of people use a black line or black cross to mark their rounds, I marked mine with red/blue/red stripes each year before we went to the multi day shooting schools we used to attend. Yeah, that's a lot of marking, but it does keep you from collecting brass that may have already been shot and reloaded too many times by someone else.

OR get the sorting system............
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I did get myself one of those hobbyist magnifier lights to help examine the markings. But, dang. Thatís a lot of handling. At least the .223s and .45s are easy to spot.

I usually pick them out by hand, which sucks, but for the ones I miss, I catch them when they pop out of the shell plate as I try to prime them!
    Struckat likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've started using an old mirror to stand brass on.

The 9x18s are my biggest concern as the .380s are fairly easy to see. I had a very bad experience with my PCC in an IDPA match due to some brass 9x18s that snuck in. Seems my pistol(s) will fire them, but my Colt AR6951 not only will not fire them, but will not eject the little ^***&%^. The remedial action drill requires, dumping the mag, and getting out a pocket knife to pry it out.

Because I'm loading on a Dillon 650 I've found a little more time sorting is a "good thing". I'm not just sorting by caliber, but looking for cracks and crimped primers.
    dangerranger likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I've started using an old mirror to stand brass on.

The 9x18s are my biggest concern as the .380s are fairly easy to see. I had a very bad experience with my PCC in an IDPA match due to some brass 9x18s that snuck in. Seems my pistol(s) will fire them, but my Colt AR6951 not only will not fire them, but will not eject the little ^***&%^. The remedial action drill requires, dumping the mag, and getting out a pocket knife to pry it out.

Because I'm loading on a Dillon 650 I've found a little more time sorting is a "good thing". I'm not just sorting by caliber, but looking for cracks and crimped primers.
    The 9x18 Makarov is a larger diameter case and bullet, .363-ish versus the 9mm Para .355. I convert 9x19 cases to 9x18 but they don't chamber in my 9x19 gun afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links