My brass turned gray while trying to clean it????

This is a discussion on My brass turned gray while trying to clean it???? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I placed a few hundred 9mm pieces of brass into my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with the stainless steel pins yesterday right before I left ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By usmc0811
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By usmc0811
  • 2 Post By Sister
  • 4 Post By Bad Bob
  • 2 Post By CWOUSCG
  • 2 Post By CG11
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By usmc0811
  • 2 Post By usmc0811

Thread: My brass turned gray while trying to clean it????

I placed a few hundred 9mm pieces of brass into my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with the stainless steel pins yesterday right before I left for work. I turned it on for the max time which is 3 hrs. After returning home from work I went back out to the shed where it was and decided to turn it on for another 3 hrs, what the heck it was late and I was going to go to bed and not empty it at this tie anyway and figure 6 hrs would make it shine like gold!!!
    Today which is the next morning after the 6 hrs of tumble I went out to look at the gold!!! Yeah right far from it, it was all gray. It all had a gray film all over and it now looked like cheap steel cases. I took a piece and had to rub it very hard to get the gray stuff off and see the brass. However the brass is so smooth and clean underneath the gray film.
    Ok this is where I need your tips, advice, experience ect. Why did this happen? how do I clean it off?
    I now have it running again with clean water and some of my dog shampoo as it was the most gental soap I could find at my house. Yesterday when I initial ran it I used a combination of Lestoil and Gain ultra I found under my sink figuring it would be fine as they are just household cleaners. Do you think the Lestoil was too potent of a chemical and sort of ate away at the inner side of the tumbler that is black rubber and thats whats on the cases? Thats my guess anyways. What a mess hopefully I can clean them up and check this off as a lesson learned and someone can learn from my mistakes.
    My brass turned gray while trying to clean it????-20190901_081950.jpg
    My brass turned gray while trying to clean it????-20190901_083815.jpg
    My brass turned gray while trying to clean it????-20190901_083922.jpg
    CG11 and Sister like this.

My guess is it's a combination of the cleaning "cocktail" you used and soaking. When I let my wet tumbled brass sit for any length of time, it turns dull.

I use Lemi-shine and Armor All car wash, don't let it sit for more than 60 minutes after tumbling, and haven't had that experience. Hopefully the additional time will cure it, but I suspect there's something in the "cocktail".
    usmc0811 likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    My guess is it's a combination of the cleaning "cocktail" you used and soaking. When I let my wet tumbled brass sit for any length of time, it turns dull.

I use Lemi-shine and Armor All car wash, don't let it sit for more than 60 minutes after tumbling, and haven't had that experience. Hopefully the additional time will cure it, but I suspect there's something in the "cocktail".
    Yeah after the initial tumbling it sat for 9 hrs then turned back on then sat for another 10 hrs until I drained it, that plus the "cocktail" lol I made up could have caused it. I am now running it with fresh clean water to try to clean it off. I did look for the lemi-shine at he store but didn't find any.
    Sister likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Try Vinegar. Was thinking outside the box, it will work for antique brass that has turned white so it may work?!

The better half said try “Dry Media”.

Hope you can fix it, the link says that the water will get into the brass when left for a while.

[DO NOT put baking soda in with vinegar, will splode! 😮}

https://www.finishing.com/294/50.shtml
    usmc0811 and ShooterGranny like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

I guess wet tumbling is all the rage these days...... Dry tumbling never does that.
    CWOUSCG, usmc0811, OldVet and 1 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I guess wet tumbling is all the rage these days...... Dry tumbling never does that.
    Yep. My thought too.
    usmc0811 and ShooterGranny like this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

VIP Member
    Always had good luck with dry media, walnut shells.
    flintlock62 and usmc0811 like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Yep. My thought too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    We have a quorum.

Check the ingredients of your cocktail and see if ammonia is listed.
    airslot and CWOUSCG like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Yep. My thought too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post

We have a quorum.

Check the ingredients of your cocktail and see if ammonia is listed.
    It didn't turn the brass a different color it just coated it with a waxy gray film making it gray. It can be rubbed off one by one but that would take forever. I tried using acatone and mineral spirits to get it off. It kinda worked but not completely. Now i have the crap all over my hands and the outside of the tumbler. I think I'm going to try the dry media in it to hopefully absorb the waxy residue. I think it's from the chemicals wearing away the inner black rubber coating on the inside of the tumbler.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Maybe you can run your hands through the dry tumbler as a test batch?

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    It didn't turn the brass a different color it just coated it with a waxy gray film making it gray. It can be rubbed off one by one but that would take forever. I tried using acatone and mineral spirits to get it off. It kinda worked but not completely. Now i have the crap all over my hands and the outside of the tumbler. I think I'm going to try the dry media in it to hopefully absorb the waxy residue. I think it's from the chemicals wearing away the inner black rubber coating on the inside of the tumbler.
    I'd just run the batch again with common dish soap. You should get a two-fer, it will get the crud off the brass and clean your tumbler bowl. The most common cleaning mix I've found for wet tumbling is:

3 tbsp Armor All Wash and Wax (a lot of guys use Dawn or similar)
    1/4 tsp Lemishine
    1 gal water
    2 hrs in the tumbler

It literally comes out as if it was vibrated with dry media for 12+hrs with the added benefit of clean primer pockets (for the brass I decap 1st). The only time I use dry media now and a vibratory cleaner is to get case lube off after sizing.
    homo homini lupus est

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Lemishine is expensive.

Citric Acid is inexpensive and the same thing. You can get it on Amazon or any women's hobby store like Hobby Lobby.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I'd just run the batch again with common dish soap. You should get a two-fer, it will get the crud off the brass and clean your tumbler bowl. The most common cleaning mix I've found for wet tumbling is:

3 tbsp Armor All Wash and Wax (a lot of guys use Dawn or similar)
    1/4 tsp Lemishine
    1 gal water
    2 hrs in the tumbler

It literally comes out as if it was vibrated with dry media for 12+hrs with the added benefit of clean primer pockets (for the brass I decap 1st). The only time I use dry media now and a vibratory cleaner is to get case lube off after sizing.
    thats exactly what I have been doing. I ran i a few times an hr each time with some gentle dish soap, rinsed each time and repeat. now running it with clean water no soap and it is finally looking good. Man what a mess it has been. So lesson learned to stay away from harsh cleaners and stick with what has already been tried and tested by others. If it aint broke dont fix it right?
    Chuck R. and airslot like this.

Sponsored Links