LRN vs. M&P 45 Shield

LRN vs. M&P 45 Shield

This is a discussion on LRN vs. M&P 45 Shield within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm wanting to start loading 45acp to save some money on practice ammo. Is It ok to use LRN in my Shield for practice, say ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By entertainment72
  • 1 Post By CavemanBob
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: LRN vs. M&P 45 Shield

LRN vs. M&P 45 Shield

I'm wanting to start loading 45acp to save some money on practice ammo. Is It ok to use LRN in my Shield for practice, say 50-75 rounds a week? Kinda concerned about leading.

Or is there a better option, on the cheap?

I carry Gold Dots and I'm gonna load me up a bunch of those to. Wanna see See if I can get em close to factory specs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LRN vs. M&P 45 Shield-screenshot_20190907-180316_gallery_1567900556334.jpg  

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    There is not a thing wrong with lead round nosed bullets. However, something to be aware of is that they may leave some lead in the barrel. If they are truly.452 in diameter, you will probably be good to go with light target loads. If you load and shoot a few and find traces of lead in the barrel, pm me and I will assist you in trying to correct that issue. You probably want to keep them a little under factory load pressure as commercial cast bullets are normally pretty hard and don't obturate very well and therefore don't seal the bore as well to prevent leading.

Do you have a cast loading manual?

Here is the load data from the Third Edition Lyman manual...the data for this 225gr lrn should work well for the 230gr...just follow your typical safe reloading practices.

LRN vs. M&P 45 Shield-70632142_360166411603083_4161791978037575680_n.jpg
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I shoot lead in all of my pistols, including (gasp) my Glock and HKP30. Never had an issue and the leading comes out with a bronze brush.

The best option is to slug your barrel and then order or cast to the right size so you can get the right diameter that wonít experience gas blow by. Missouri Bullets has some different sizes if you arenít casting your own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Thanks shootnlead and stripesdude, I appreciate your responses.

I will load up some light "starting charge" rounds and go from there.

I've reloaded enough lead bullets and dealt with moderate to severe leading enough that I won't consider dealing with the mess lead can make.

Yes I know there are all sorts of adjustments and fine tuning to get lead to work great without leading. But I'd rather just buy plated or FMJ and not deal with it.
    rocky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I'd run plated for the practice ammo, you can get plated at a pretty reasonable price:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bull...e-bullets-new/
    rocky likes this.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Ya, I was actually looking at Berry's plated. I've used it with 38 special, but have to be careful with crimping. I've only loaded for revolvers and crimping is pretty much mandatory.

I've heard you don't have to crimp 45acp. You're thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up on those plated bullets CavemanBob.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    No crimp for the autoloaders, just adjust the die to remove the bell.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Senior Moderator
    I've used plated bullets from Berry's and Xtreme, but cheaper and every bit as free of leading are coated bullets. Bayou Bullets is tops in my book, Blue Bullets are used by a lot of guys I shoot with.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Iíve found that American Reloading has by far the best deals on practice bullets. They pull them from government contract ammo. If all you want is plinking bullets, then the pull marks wonít matter. And you can get FMJ, Hp or plated. No need to worry about lead.

Plated it is.

Thanks to all who responded !

Sponsored Links