Powder coat issue

Powder coat issue

This is a discussion on Powder coat issue within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; When resizing my .40 cal. Bullets some of the powder coating comes off some more than others. I use quality powder coat from Eastwood. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shootnlead

Thread: Powder coat issue

Powder coat issue

When resizing my .40 cal. Bullets some of the powder coating comes off some more than others. I use quality powder coat from Eastwood. I applied the powder coat using the tumble method then bake at 400 for 20 minutes. I have let cool slowly as well as water quenched, I have stood each bullet up separately as well as left in piles while baking. Tried all sorts of ways to correct this issue but always have this happen during the resizing process to some extent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powder coat issue-15703728072453687444196191997508_1570372823674.jpg  

No answer yet? I would like to know myself.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I have it happen occasionally, but never to the extent that yours show it.

I did have some rifle bullets one time that I never got it to adhere to very well and I never really was able to resolve the issue.

To be honest, I have gotten to where I use more Harbor Freight red than anything else...it always does as well for me as the better quality stuff and is readily available. Also, year before last I start dumping my bullets and powder in the tumbler for about 10 minutes rather than doing it by hand...I have been pleased with the results.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Wouldn't you resize them before the powdercoat?
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Wouldn't you resize them before the powdercoat?
    I resize mine after...hard to control how much powder attaches to them and it also helps to assure the rounds are concentric when mated with the brass.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Sponsored Links