Website; NATO Reloading ( www.natoreloading.com )

This is a discussion on Website; NATO Reloading ( www.natoreloading.com ) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I thought some here might be interested in this site I found while doing some research on a new load I'm thinking about working on ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Risasi
  • 1 Post By Bgoes41
  • 2 Post By SAXDM9
  • 1 Post By Shootnlead
  • 4 Post By dangerranger

Thread: Website; NATO Reloading ( www.natoreloading.com )

I thought some here might be interested in this site I found while doing some research on a new load I'm thinking about working on and was trying to decide if I should try another powder. (I'm thinking about trying to build a "One Load" using the 115gr Hornady HAP/XTP that will shoot to 3" or better out to 25 yards in multiple handguns)

I've spent the past day and a half absorbing some of their tests on the 9mm portion of their site;

NATOReloading.com

Pretty cool and well documented, and as an added bonus lots of pics.

It's given me some things to ponder regarding powder selection, primer selection and mixed brass vs. matched brass.

Apologies if it's been posted before. I did a quick search but didn't stumble upon it.
    SAXDM9 and gasmitty like this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Thanks, Risasi! That is a very cool site. Looks like I will be lost in the data there for a while too.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    Thanks, Risasi! That is a very cool site. Looks like I will be lost in the data there for a while too.
    +1
    ETXhiker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I’d have been back sooner but got caught up with reading the tests and methods. Interesting site, just pulled me right in.

Just found out I mighta wasted the past couple of evenings. I sorted a couple or three thousand 9mm brass casings into 4 piles: Win, FC, Sig (nickel plated), and all other (mostly Remington, Blazer, and two more with no “name” on headstamp).

Instead I shoulda been pondering ways to buy a match grade bbl. That’s what their tests showed with the CZ, the great bbl has more effect on handgun accuracy than the casing, bullet, or powder, apparently. Fun read. Thanks @Risasi .
    dangerranger and ETXhiker like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Good looking site.

What is the reason for your trying to get this load?
    Risasi likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    I’d have been back sooner but got caught up with reading the tests and methods. Interesting site, just pulled me right in.

Just found out I mighta wasted the past couple of evenings. I sorted a couple or three thousand 9mm brass casings into 4 piles: Win, FC, Sig (nickel plated), and all other (mostly Remington, Blazer, and two more with no “name” on headstamp).

Instead I shoulda been pondering ways to buy a match grade bbl. That’s what their tests showed with the CZ, the great bbl has more effect on handgun accuracy than the casing, bullet, or powder, apparently. Fun read. Thanks @Risasi .
    The reason I sort has not much to do with accuracy and more to do with ease of re loading. If the cases match they go through the progressive press so much better. Some have thicker rims and need to be pushed a little as they move on to the shell plate. So by running them in matched batches I can set those aside that don't run smoothly. DR

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Good looking site.

What is the reason for your trying to get this load?
    Because the cheap Walmart range ammo is drying up. I'm looking to put together a load that can be churned out for roughly the same cost in materials and ends up being superior. Better accuracy than cheap WWB or Federal FMJ, and improved terminal performance would be icing. A load that gives reasonable accuracy in multiple firearms. Say that will shoot to 3" or so at 25 yards in the pistols owned by my friends and myself. We all have Glocks, Walthers, HK's and a few run around with M&P Shields too.

I was leaning toward the Hornady HAP/XTP 115 grain. In bulk the HAP is about 12 cents a round. But I'm still considering options.

Sponsored Links