Dillon Powder Measure - Page 2

Dillon Powder Measure

This is a discussion on Dillon Powder Measure within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just got off the phone with Dillon and was not happy with their answer. He said that the powder is bridging across the top ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Dillon Powder Measure

I just got off the phone with Dillon and was not happy with their answer. He said that the powder is bridging across the top of the case mouth. His suggestion was to tap the handle of the press while the ram is all the way up and the case is in the powder measure. That should knock loose any powder that is bridging the top of the case mouth. In all, the call lasted less than a minute.

If I was using an extruded powder, which I know can easily bridge the mouth of the smaller cases, that would be one thing but I am using Ramshot TAC. This is a fairly fine spherical powder and I already know by watching when I lower the ram and when the powder leaks that this is not the issue. My guess is that either the gentleman I was speaking with is either fairly new, or he was just not prepared to think about what i was saying.

Based on what I have heard of Dillon's support, I never expected to get off the phone feeling like this.

So, what I will do is pickup a pound of AR-Comp, which is a small kernel extruded powder and see what that does. If that works fine, then I know that it is definitely not bridging and will try calling back another day and hope that I get somebody else who can do a better job of helping me. If the solution is to move to another powder, I can deal with that, I will just have to run through the 12 lbs of TAC that I still have using the Lee powder measure that does not leak. After that I will move to AR-Comp, or some other powder that works better with the Dillon powder measure.

With that being said, I have been looking at alternate powders and it seems like most of the ones that will do what I want are spherical powders (I want to be able to use the same powder for both 223/5.56 and 308). For extruded powders, I can use AR-Comp or IMR Enduron 4166, but really didn't see anything else that will give me the performance I am looking for in both calibers. I didn't see any flake powders for rifle at all. Does anybody have any other suggestions (I know that Varget is popular, but it will not give me what I am looking for in 223/5.56)?

Thanks.

I suspect your issue "may" be related to your case neck size and the powder measure tube size. One funnel I have has a slightly oversize opening and the case mouth will ever so slightly protrude into it and catch powder around the edge. If I don't jiggle the case and funnel, then powder will sprinkle out when I remove the funnel. My other funnel is smaller and the case mouth does not fit through the funnel opening, so it does not trap powder on the case mouth.

My powder dropper will do the same if I do not install the correct size nozzle for whatever case mouth size I am loading.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OldVet,
    Thanks! This gives me something to look at.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    OldVet,
    Thanks! This gives me something to look at.
    You're welcome. You can send your contribution to the OldVet Christmas Card Fund to the mods and they'll forward it to me.

Well, maybe not Rock & Glock. He'll probably send it to the Perpetual Maggie Support Fund.

I don't know what the Dillon powder dispenser opening looks like, but it should have some sort of nozzle for the case mouth to seal against. Sounds like a poor seal or incorrect size.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I load a ton of RamTac on my my Dillon for .223/5.56.

A. If you wet tumbled and you didn't let them dry all the way they will stick to the mouth.
    B. If you lubed and didn't get all the lube off they will stick, this is why I clean them after they have been resized lubed, to help get the lube off, I wet tumble.
    C. You may not be using the correct powder measure, if your using the pistol one it may be overflowing the case..
    Chuck R. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know what the Dillon powder dispenser opening looks like, but it should have some sort of nozzle for the case mouth to seal against. Sounds like a poor seal or incorrect size.
    The Dillon powder funnel has a sleeve that fits over the neck of the case with a shoulder that the mouth of the case buts up against. By looking down the funnel and placing a case into the bottom of it, i can see that there i no gap for the powder to escape there. This leaves one of two possibilities that I can see. Either the powder is leaking out through/around the powder bar itself, or the powder is getting hung up in the powder funnel and then falling down after the ram is lowered.

I went ahead and cleaned out the powder funnel with Gun Scrubber to make sure that there isn't any lube or residue left over from packaging and will try to setup the powder measure and try it again sometime this week. Unfortunately, I will be out of the country next week, so if I am unable to get to it this week, it will be a couple of weeks before I can get to it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I load a ton of RamTac on my my Dillon for .223/5.56.

A. If you wet tumbled and you didn't let them dry all the way they will stick to the mouth.
    B. If you lubed and didn't get all the lube off they will stick, this is why I clean them after they have been resized lubed, to help get the lube off, I wet tumble.
    C. You may not be using the correct powder measure, if your using the pistol one it may be overflowing the case..
    Rob,
    Thanks for your insight.

I am not wet tumbling, I use a vibratory tumbler with dry media, so drying the cases is not an issue.

I did, however, initially try the small powder bar and found that it would not throw a large enough charge after only a couple of tries. So I am now using the large powder bar. What I did not do, and I need to when I try this again, is to actually look at the powder bar and see if it shows any sight of leakage around the powder bar itself.

As for the lube... That was one of my thoughts also. I am currently setup to run the case through the sizing/depriming die again while reloading so I have not been cleaning off the lube. I have thought about moving the resizing/depriming die to a tool-head of it's own, but do not have an extra one right now. However, when i spoke with Dillon, the one thing he did say, and I have seen this on several posts on both Dillon's forum as well as on Brian Enos' forum, was that lube would not cause this, that it is better have have too much lube than too little.

What I have thought about doing is trying Hornady One Shot Case Lube. It is a spray on that dries into a dry film lube, I used to use it and went away from it because I would prefer not to use an aerosol, but if the problem persists now that I have cleaned the powder funnel, this will tell me whether or not it is the lube. If it does turn out to be the lube, then I might just move back to it.

VIP Member
    Rob,
    Thanks for your insight.

I am not wet tumbling, I use a vibratory tumbler with dry media, so drying the cases is not an issue.

I did, however, initially try the small powder bar and found that it would not throw a large enough charge after only a couple of tries. So I am now using the large powder bar. What I did not do, and I need to when I try this again, is to actually look at the powder bar and see if it shows any sight of leakage around the powder bar itself.

As for the lube... That was one of my thoughts also. I am currently setup to run the case through the sizing/depriming die again while reloading so I have not been cleaning off the lube. I have thought about moving the resizing/depriming die to a tool-head of it's own, but do not have an extra one right now. However, when i spoke with Dillon, the one thing he did say, and I have seen this on several posts on both Dillon's forum as well as on Brian Enos' forum, was that lube would not cause this, that it is better have have too much lube than too little.

What I have thought about doing is trying Hornady One Shot Case Lube. It is a spray on that dries into a dry film lube, I used to use it and went away from it because I would prefer not to use an aerosol, but if the problem persists now that I have cleaned the powder funnel, this will tell me whether or not it is the lube. If it does turn out to be the lube, then I might just move back to it.
    Do by chance you use case gauges? If so you need to.

The only other thing I can think of is how you set your die. I use run the die all the way up, and slowly work it back until it sets the travel distance of the safety bar. I'm thinking that's it its over set it maybe causing some issues. However, it is that overset than you probably be crushing the brass. This would show up on the case gauge.

I setup the Dillon powder measure on the tool head again and took an unprocessed piece of brass, unsized with the used primer still in the case, that was dry with no lube on it at all and ran it through the powder station 50 or 60 times. While I was doing this, I did put the case in at station one and then removed it at station three. I also pushed the handle forward, as if I was seating a new primer, every time so that the press would still get the same vibrations and shaking as it would during normal use. During this process I only got about a dozen individual granules of powder that spilled. Of these, none of them were actually on the shell plate and I saw no indication of powder leaking out around the powder bar itself, so I am thinking that these fell while I was pouring the powder from the case back into the powder hopper and not from leakage.

Next, I sprayed the case with Dillon Case Lube and then did it all over again with a well lubed case. This time I only ran the case through 30 times, but during this time I didnít see even a single granule of powder fall anywhere.

So, at this point I think my problem has been solved. It must have been either something that I had done wrong, during the initial setup, that I corrected when I put the powder measure back on the tool-head, or the powder funnel had some lube or residue on it from shipping that I didnít get completely cleaned off when I did my initial setup. The powder was not bridging and it still irritates me that the person I spoke with at Dillon just threw a response out there without really paying attention to what I was saying, but I really do like the 550C and am even more happy now that I feel like I can continue to use my preferred powder with the Dillon powder measure.

In general, I am a happy camper . Thanks for listening to me through all of this.

VIP Member
    I setup the Dillon powder measure on the tool head again and took an unprocessed piece of brass, unsized with the used primer still in the case, that was dry with no lube on it at all and ran it through the powder station 50 or 60 times. While I was doing this, I did put the case in at station one and then removed it at station three. I also pushed the handle forward, as if I was seating a new primer, every time so that the press would still get the same vibrations and shaking as it would during normal use. During this process I only got about a dozen individual granules of powder that spilled. Of these, none of them were actually on the shell plate and I saw no indication of powder leaking out around the powder bar itself, so I am thinking that these fell while I was pouring the powder from the case back into the powder hopper and not from leakage.

Next, I sprayed the case with Dillon Case Lube and then did it all over again with a well lubed case. This time I only ran the case through 30 times, but during this time I didnít see even a single granule of powder fall anywhere.

So, at this point I think my problem has been solved. It must have been either something that I had done wrong, during the initial setup, that I corrected when I put the powder measure back on the tool-head, or the powder funnel had some lube or residue on it from shipping that I didnít get completely cleaned off when I did my initial setup. The powder was not bridging and it still irritates me that the person I spoke with at Dillon just threw a response out there without really paying attention to what I was saying, but I really do like the 550C and am even more happy now that I feel like I can continue to use my preferred powder with the Dillon powder measure.

In general, I am a happy camper . Thanks for listening to me through all of this.

No worries. I remember one time. My ram was stuck and wouldn't go down. I called Dillon and was on the phone for 2 hours trying to solve the problem. The guy kept saying, Sir did you check under the ram. At one point, I got angry, finally i said for the 1000th time there is nothing under the RAA..............OOOO. Sir I want to apologize profusely to you for wasting your time, a 9mm case was under the ram preventing the handle from going down. He said no worries. I was so embarrassed.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Yup, I have had more than my fare share of embarrassments. Fortunately they are usually in front of an audience that that understands where I am coming from.

A bit of humility is good for all of us and I am certainly not above admitting when I have goofed. In this case, I still have the chance to do it one more time - I still have to move 308 Win over to the 550C and I am sure that I will find something to mess up there too.

Thanks again for all of your input and support.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links