Would you load these? - Page 2

Would you load these?

This is a discussion on Would you load these? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by dangerranger The way I test the coating is to smash them with a hammer! Remind me not to have you test my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Would you load these?

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The way I test the coating is to smash them with a hammer!
    Remind me not to have you test my toenail polish.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I wondering why you sized them after coating them ? They should be cast then sized then coating ! Don't pile the coated bullets spread them out on some 1/4" hardware cloth on a rack . I also do two coats .
    I thought about that and have heard you can do it both ways. The reason I coated first was to add some sort of protection while resizing as to not lead up my resizing die. I will have to give your method a try. Do you add any lube to them prior to resizing to make them slick so they resize easier? and if so what do you use? I have Hornady One shot lube spray I could use then clean it off afterwards with some acetone prior to coating.
    You said you do two coats of powder, I guess I could give that a try if I have some where the powder coating comes off again.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    They either need a little more heat, a little more time in the heat, or the bullets were not clean. Or it could be the powder you used. I had problems with Harbor Freight powders. When I switched to Eastwood or Powder By The Pound, the problems with goopy, thin, or uneven, coating went away. I also lightly lube them before I run them through a Lee push through sizer. Good Luck, DR
    I do 400 degrees for 20 minutes and use Easwood powder. What type of lube do you use for running them in your sizer? I have Hornady one shot spray lube. So Im guessing you resize after they are powder coated right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    I do 400 degrees for 20 minutes and use Easwood powder. What type of lube do you use for running them in your sizer? I have Hornady one shot spray lube. So Im guessing you resize after they are powder coated right?
    I use acetone to wash the bullets before I powder them, use the same 400 degrees, and the same 20 min. I use the same lube as I use to resize brass, so One Shot should be fine! One thing about the temp, if you are doing this in a cold garage you may need to add a few degrees to make up for loss. When I do mine its 80 to 100 degrees outside.[ and my bullets are starting out at 80 to 100 deg.] I don't know anything about PA, but where I live in CA its hot and dry unless its actively raining. Our daytime humidity runs about 15%. So you may have to play with time and temp a little bit. Try a couple of small test runs where you add temp or add time, and Google the smash test for pictures of how a well adhered coating should react. Good Luck. DR
    And yes , I resize after coating. They should come through the sizer looking almost as good as they went in! It should not expose any lead. DR

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Hmmmmm.....are these your first attempts at powder coating?? Lee sizer?? Lee mold?? What size are you sizing to??
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

usmc I lubed and size then washed with acetone also but years ago I coated bullets with MOLY in a tumbler . Tried again to get into casting when Hi Tek coating first came out but to be honest Its not worth the time invested even in retirement or the tinny amount of money I saved and then theres the with heating of lead and casting at least from a health standpoint and I load practice ammo for 6 family members now so its ready to run coated bullets that I know will be consistent over the years .

Just my two cents:
    Try as-cast (not sized at all) bullets. I find that they are more accurate than sized bullets. I have gone so far as to simply order as-cast unlubricated bullets from various casting companies so I can apply a very light LLA tumble coat for great accuracy.
    IF ANY coating is removed, that will leave bare lead against bare barrel steel and you will most likely get leading. It isn't like the round has grease that, under pressure, can flow and still work as a lubricant or that may already be on the barrel from prior shooting.
    If it doesn't look, feel, and/or sound right, it most likely isn't right. Find the cause immediately and fix it or stop that operation until you can fix it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Remind me not to have you test my toenail polish.
    Those nurses must be having fun with you. 😂
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links