Would you load these?

Would you load these?

This is a discussion on Would you load these? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just made a bunch of .38/.357 bullets approximately 200. After resizing some of the powder coating came off would you still load these up ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Would you load these?

Would you load these?

I just made a bunch of .38/.357 bullets approximately 200. After resizing some of the powder coating came off would you still load these up to fire at paper targets? Most of them turned out like this should they just be melted back down? If so I wasted a lot of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would you load these?-20191128_120446_1574961218820.jpg  

Would you load these?-screenshot_20191128-120614_gallery_1574961233284.jpg  

Would you load these?-20191128_120408_1574961244065.jpg  

Last edited by usmc0811; November 28th, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Ex Member
    I do not have any experience making any ammo part, but I do have a criterion I apply to all things ammo. If it does not look right, do not shoot it.
    usmc0811 and The Old Anglo like this.

I don't know if it is right, but it works for me, I size before powdercoating. My die is .001 smaller than normal, then I powdercoat.
    usmc0811 and gasmitty like this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    I would trim the casting sprue (or sizing flash) off before loading, but go ahead and load a dozen of so and see how they shoot. Probably good enough for plinking, but with the non-uniformity of the coating I wouldn't expect top accuracy. What load are you using?

I think your powder coating technique needs some work.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I would trim the casting sprue (or sizing flash) off before loading, but go ahead and load a dozen of so and see how they shoot. Probably good enough for plinking, but with the non-uniformity of the coating I wouldn't expect top accuracy. What load are you using?

I think your powder coating technique needs some work.
    The ones with the sizing flash I will probably just toss as I dont have that many of them. I do not have a load recipe picked just yet, but the powders I have on hand are Unique, HP-38 and Bullseye.
    I agree my Powder coating needs work as well. Right now I use powder from Eastwood using the tumble method then dumping them out into a pile and baking 20 minutes at 400 degrees. I also stand them up from time to time if I have the time. I dont know why the coating comes off during the resizing process.
    Rabbit212 and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, what was the bullet diameter before you sized them?
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Senior Moderator
    Not knowing what weight these bullets are I can't make a recommendation, but Unique and HP-38 (= Win231) are fairly common for 9mm loads. Alliant and Hodgdon show loads for jacketed bullets on their websites, but I would look in the Lee manual to find what's recommended for cast lead bullets. At least with my .45 ACP loads, I find coated bullets (I use Bayou Bullets) chrono faster than plated or even moly-coated lead bullets for a given charge weight.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I would think the question is if there is enough coating to prevent leading the barrel at a given velocity. That and obviously what they were sized to.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    I would think the question is if there is enough coating to prevent leading the barrel at a given velocity. That and obviously what they were sized to.
    Yeah thats what I was thinking as well if they would cause any leading issues. I will be loading them up for .38 special and .357 mag.
    They are sized to .356-.357 not to sure what their original size was. I will not be loading them "HOT" usually on the low end of the recommended data info.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Not knowing what weight these bullets are I can't make a recommendation, but Unique and HP-38 (= Win231) are fairly common for 9mm loads. Alliant and Hodgdon show loads for jacketed bullets on their websites, but I would look in the Lee manual to find what's recommended for cast lead bullets. At least with my .45 ACP loads, I find coated bullets (I use Bayou Bullets) chrono faster than plated or even moly-coated lead bullets for a given charge weight.
    They are 161-163 gr average.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    They are 161-163 gr average.
    Pretty heavy for 9mm, so proceed with caution.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Pretty heavy for 9mm, so proceed with caution.
    Oh man I didnt even realize I said they were 9mm. They are not for 9mm but actually .38 and .357 I guess I just had 9mm on my mind sorry. I will go and edit my original post.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    Oh man I didnt even realize I said they were 9mm. They are not for 9mm but actually .38 and .357 I guess I just had 9mm on my mind sorry. I will go and edit my original post.
    Ah - good, life is good. In that case, I can suggest 3.8-4.0 gr of Unique and crimping at the first groove below the SWC shoulder. That gave me an easy-shooting load around 800 ft/sec from a 4" K frame and a 6" Security Six.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I wondering why you sized them after coating them ? They should be cast then sized then coating ! Don't pile the coated bullets spread them out on some 1/4" hardware cloth on a rack . I also do two coats .
    ETXhiker likes this.

The way I test the coating is to smash them with a hammer! a well coated bullet will be flat but the coating will be intact! What I see there is your coating is not well adhered. They either need a little more heat, a little more time in the heat, or the bullets were not clean. Or it could be the powder you used. I had problems with Harbor Freight powders. When I switched to Eastwood or Powder By The Pound, the problems with goopy, thin, or uneven, coating went away. I also lightly lube them before I run them through a Lee push through sizer. Good Luck, DR
    usmc0811 and Rock and Glock like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links