Why Black People Own Guns - Page 5

Why Black People Own Guns

This is a discussion on Why Black People Own Guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by maxwell97 So you're saying that the 2A originally protected the people from the federal government, but not state governments? In other words, ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 88
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Why Black People Own Guns

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    So you're saying that the 2A originally protected the people from the federal government, but not state governments? In other words, that state laws against black ownership of firearms was not a violation of the 2A?
    No more or less than they are now.
    We get the government we deserve.

  2. #62
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    No more or less than they are now.
    Well, in the meantime we've had the 14th Amendment, incorporation doctrine and McDonald v Chicago, so that's not clear to me.

    I can see why a black American might not think the 2A was "intended for them". It was approved by reps from slave states, and it did nothing to help slaves get guns when their states didn't want them to. My take is that it wasn't originally intended to apply to the states at all, and no state laws against guns (including laws in slave states) were seen as violations of the 2A. But many seem to think the founders were against any anti-gun laws. If so, they had a big blind spot when it came to those of African descent.

    What was originally intended by the 2A (along with the rest of the BoR) and what it does now are, imho, very different.
    Havok likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

  3. #63
    VIP Member
    Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,832
    Yes, this is an interesting thread. This is the kind that can bring out the Virginia trolls, magically somehow. But Iím amazed at how difficult some topics are.
    Savage Heartland

    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #64
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    32,262
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    - Thomas Jefferson

    That pretty much nails my point on how 2A was viewed at that time as to whom it applied.
    TeflonDon and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  6. #65
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    - Thomas Jefferson

    That pretty much nails my point on how 2A was viewed at that time as to whom it applied.
    And to think now so many free men are deprived of that same right...
    We get the government we deserve.

  7. #66
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    32,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    And to think now so many free men are deprived of that same right...
    Are they? Really?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  8. #67
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Are they? Really?
    Yes, in fact we have one thread running on that topic right now.

    ETA: nevermind, i thought some of the stuff going on in California was being mentioned in the NC thread but I was wrong I guess.but the point remains, yes there are.
    We get the government we deserve.

  9. #68
    Senior Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    18,865
    And now, back to the 21st century and discussing the here and now and the article in the original post.

    How we got to where we are today is interesting and it's important, but it is off topic and clearly a contentious subject. Back on topic, or this thread gets shut down.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  10. #69
    Member Array frgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    138
    This 'black' man finds the article uninteresting and not too worthy of consideration. The reason(s) to own a gun is not something that falls along racial lines. What is the reason for such an article? I would be hard pressed to find a worthwhile reason for such a question.

    Or maybe it is because my reason(s) are not drawn on any social/political line. If I were to simply ask you (anyone on this forum) why you have a gun(s), I am sure the category of reasons would as uninteresting.

    Think about it -- this quest would only further draw lines of distinction among any person with a similar disposition. Why not ask "Do Black people brush there teeth different than Irish people?" or a headline that reads "ALL people of Color put on their pants right leg first (except for left handed black people from Croatia)."

    Seriously!?

  11. #70
    Member Array thewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by frgood View Post
    Why not ask "Do Black people brush there teeth different than Irish people?" or a headline that reads "ALL people of Color put on their pants right leg first (except for left handed black people from Croatia)."

    Seriously!?
    We can create the NAATB... National Association for the Advancement of Tooth Brushing.

    Iím in.
    Havok, frgood, Okeechobee and 1 others like this.

  12. #71
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,962
    Quote Originally Posted by frgood View Post

    Or maybe it is because my reason(s) are not drawn on any social/political line. If I were to simply ask you (anyone on this forum) why you have a gun(s), I am sure the category of reasons would as uninteresting.
    Uninteresting to us, perhaps, but consider the intended audience. I think it's likely that the typical reader of HuffPo has not considered many of the points made by the interviewees. To many of them, gun culture is totally alien; and though there's a political bent in the intro, most of the article is just letting people tell their stories, so I would credit it as an honest attempt to understand their motivations.

    As for the racial focus, I think that partly has to do with stereotypes. Again amongst the intended audience, there's probably a sense of "othering" about defensive gun culture, and their image of it is old reactionary white guys. By presenting the opinions of those who certainly do not fit that stereotype, hopefully the article will entice some of that audience to consider their opinions, instead of dismissing them out of hand.

    This forum is not such an audience, but there are some useful points nonetheless. Aside from the 2A aspects, I found it interesting that many of those interviewed were quite realistic in their assessments of scenarios and the limited usefulness of firearms. I think some were too pessimistic, but it's probably an accurate picture of how many gun owners approach the problem, while many here are perhaps overly optimistic - "I want three mags in case I'm attacked by five guys with guns," etc.
    Havok and gasmitty like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

  13. #72
    VIP Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    5,249
    Progressivism is obsessed with divisiveness and condescends minorities in the name of opposing racism. Completely contradictory, isn't it?

    Do you remember Candy Crowley, CNN, jumping in to defend Pres. Obama during his debate with Mitt Romney? This was a Harvard educated person, arguably the most gifted orator of modern time. Why did she feel she needed to intervene? Did she not think him capable of explaining his remarks? Did the personal idealism of a white woman override the position of the black man on the issue? I found her heavy handed moderating condescending to the President, never mind she was wrong and later had to (weakly) retract her statements.

    The left labels certain demographics as needing a monolithic vote along with their opinions. No free thought or free will. Those who stray from their stereotype are chastised. Just look at how conservative black women are treated by the progressive movement; scorned as traitors.

    This article is equally condescending, assuming the color of one's skin drives their desire to defend their lives, family, and property. Notice how these 11 people reach the same conclusion: we have guns, but don't believe in using them. And these 11 people somehow represent the entirety of millions of Americans with similar skin tone. Obviously, they didn't interview Colion Noir or anyone he has had on his show.

    They treat women of all color the same. These elitist white people can't accept that there are people who don't fit their racist stereotype idealism. I hope these groups begin to see the failure of this movement and its empty promises to raise them up from from their oppression (victimism).
    wmhawth and Hatchee like this.
    Psalm 144:1

  14. #73
    VIP Member Array Libertywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    3,249
    Click bait. And it worked.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

  15. #74
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    This article is equally condescending, assuming the color of one's skin drives their desire to defend their lives, family, and property. Notice how these 11 people reach the same conclusion: we have guns, but don't believe in using them.
    I'm not sure how you got that out of it. As far as I can tell, eight of the 11 carry. They don't seem excited about the idea of drawing on somebody, but no sane person is.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

  16. #75
    Member Array frgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Uninteresting to us, perhaps, but consider the intended audience. I think it's likely that the typical reader of HuffPo has not considered many of the points made by the interviewees. To many of them, gun culture is totally alien; and though there's a political bent in the intro, most of the article is just letting people tell their stories, so I would credit it as an honest attempt to understand their motivations.

    As for the racial focus, I think that partly has to do with stereotypes. Again amongst the intended audience, there's probably a sense of "othering" about defensive gun culture, and their image of it is old reactionary white guys. By presenting the opinions of those who certainly do not fit that stereotype, hopefully the article will entice some of that audience to consider their opinions, instead of dismissing them out of hand.

    This forum is not such an audience, but there are some useful points nonetheless. Aside from the 2A aspects, I found it interesting that many of those interviewed were quite realistic in their assessments of scenarios and the limited usefulness of firearms. I think some were too pessimistic, but it's probably an accurate picture of how many gun owners approach the problem, while many here are perhaps overly optimistic - "I want three mags in case I'm attacked by five guys with guns," etc.
    I do agree with your point. So much so that I am afraid that when I walk down a street I will continue to be typecast as a 'black man with a gun' to defend myself from the horrors of this world. That label has nothing to do with any truth and I have no way to defend myself of that stigma (pun intended). I suppose I am merely showing my frustration at these types of articles, which include assumptions of who I might have voted for, et. al. I am a bit sensitive about the entire 'black man' label. I am forced to try to live each day getting people to simply see me as a man. A label that should come from all walks of life.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •