At what point.....

At what point.....

This is a discussion on At what point..... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ....would a teacher consider his/her job a wee bit hazardous anymore? We kinda forget about those guys. We hear about dead kids, and maybe a ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By multistage
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 3 Post By Havok
  • 4 Post By Dougb

Thread: At what point.....

At what point.....

....would a teacher consider his/her job a wee bit hazardous anymore?

We kinda forget about those guys. We hear about dead kids, and maybe a heroic instructor that hides/saves kids.

But at some point, a teacher has to think that, well....

This job is risky.

I wonder about this. It’s all well and good to wish for an armed faculty to keep the kids safe. But these folks have got to be worried about their personal safety. And teachers are well aware of what (if any) security measures have been implemented.

And they know it isn’t enough.

This may not be a 2nd Amendment based post. But it kind of is. If I worked a job where, on any given day, some maniac could walk in and start mowing guys down (a valid concern for a teacher these days) then I would insist that either I could carry my weapon while at work or my employer would provide a proven response team (of sorts). Some kind of concession would have to be made.

They’ve got to have it on their minds.
    CG11 likes this.

Life is risky.
    Havok, G26Raven, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The overwhelming percentage of teachers I know are rabidly anti-gun.
    G26Raven and maxwell97 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I just posted this link in the thread on the Florida shooting, but I'll ask the question here as well.
    How many school districts, administrators and teachers are aware of this free program from the NRA?

National School Shield
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    At what point would a teacher consider his/her job a wee bit hazardous anymore?
    Probably when the bullets start flying.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

The most hazardous part of being a teacher is probably the drive to and from work.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    These stats are a few years old, but I'm guessing they haven't changed much. Teachers don't even make the top eight:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8756fceaf61e
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

You are locked into a small room with children, or worse-teenagers. You spend all day working with them, to be rewarded by everybody telling you how to do your job better. "Better" is a moving target, as yesterdays goals will not be tomorrows goals. The parent who beats their child will threaten you if you, a mandatory reporter, call Child Services about the kids black eye and cigarette burns, but you can be fired and jailed if you fail to report. You have to attend meetings with parents who have a hard time remembering their childs name or with parents who let their current boyfriend, a convicted pedophile, care for their child. You see the damage, report it, nothing happens. And in the face of a hostile public, you have to perform your academic duties for lower pay per student than a day care provider.

There are over 90,000 schools in the US that did not get attacked. Kids are statistically safer at school than at home, and teachers have been known to protect students with their bodies.
    https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=49
    Between 1992 and 2015, total victimization rates for students ages 12–18 generally declined both at school and away from school. The total victimization rate at school declined 82 percent, from 181 victimizations per 1,000 students in 1992 to 33 victimizations per 1,000 students in 2015. The total victimization rate away from school declined 88 percent, from 173 victimizations per 1,000 students in 1992 to 21 victimizations per 1,000 students in 2015.

The rate of serious violent victimization3 against students ages 12–18 was lower at school than away from school in most survey years between 1992 and 2008. Between 2009 and 2015, the rate at school was not measurably different from the rate away from school. The 2015 serious violent victimization rate for students ages 12–18 did not differ measurably from the 2014 rate either at school or away from school. In 2015, students experienced about 4 serious violent victimizations per 1,000 students at school and 4 serious violent victimizations per 1,000 students away from school.
    But;
    https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...ts-can-be.html
    In the 2015-16 school year, 5.8 percent of the nation’s 3.8 million teachers(220,000) were physically attacked by a student. Almost 10 percent were threatened with injury, according to federal education
    https://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/p...icers-2014.htm
    Police officers have a higher risk of incurring a work-related injury or illness than most other occupations. On average, 115 police and sheriff’s patrol officers suffered fatal work injuries each year from 2003 to 2014. Another 30,990 nonfatal injuries involving days away from work were reported for police and sheriff’s patrol officers on average each year from 2009 to 2014.1,2
    We have about 1.2 million cops in the US, and they are armed and trained to deal with danger. Teachers can not use force to straighten out an attitude.

The vast majority don't think about it happening to them. Just like most of society.
    Psalm 144:1

Driving is much more dangerous than teaching. Having said that, I am all for teachers being able to protect themselves and their students in their workplace.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

My wife works at a school (IT). She's pretty worried about the risk of a disgruntled/deranged student. So she is really the one who has driven us to get our CC permits, and to be in the first "enhanced" CC permit class (so you can carry on college campuses) our instructor is giving (next week). She's not going to go out quietly, I guarantee it.

Distinguished Member
    Teaching is a safe profession. As many have said, the hyperbola is REALLY high on this but its more dangerous driving to and from the school by far. Over 3600 people died from drowning in 2015 (last year I can find statistics) - how many died from gunshot on a public school campus? A lot less than 3600 but no one really knows because the media and the progressive have so cooked the books that its nearly impossible to find a number that is not ridiculously inflated.

VIP Member
    Basing the statistics on actual events instead of memes made up by The Mindless for Gun Control, they're not a high risk job with regards to workplace violence. I'll agree that the usual stupid policies that most school districts cling to will see their teachers and students get shot like fish in a barrel but I don't believe they're in a really dangerous profession (unless you want to include all the inner city teachers that deal with levels of violence daily).
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

VIP Member
    Generally speaking, with the experience of seeing my mother teach for 38 years, I would say teaching is certainly one of the more thankless jobs. It is not a particularly dangerous job.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Sponsored Links