White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban" - Page 2

White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban"

This is a discussion on White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 If a theoretical ban is passed without a grandfather clause that would be a taking under the Fifth Amendment which would ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban"

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If a theoretical ban is passed without a grandfather clause that would be a taking under the Fifth Amendment which would require the gun grabbers to pay fair market value for each rifle turned in. That is tens of billions of dollars that would have to come from somewhere.
    It would come from us.

"...our calamity is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer."

But I don't expect it to happen. If Sandy Hook didn't do it with Obama and a Democratic government, this won't do it with Trump and a Republican government.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

If a theoretical ban is passed without a grandfather clause that would be a taking under the Fifth Amendment which would require the gun grabbers to pay fair market value for each rifle turned in. That is tens of billions of dollars that would have to come from somewhere.
    I don't think that is right. 5A says, "...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation." That clause deals with eminent domain, where the government appropriates private property to repurpose it. An example is if the government decides to put a highway through your property. They can do a forced buyout, but they have to pay you fair market value." (supposedly)

But I think the government can get around that if it is declaring something illegal and seizing it. I'm pretty sure it would come under the heading of "asset seizure" which is confiscation of proceeds or instruments of crime. So if you are in possession of weapon that was newly declared illegal, you would be in violation of a law, and that weapon would be an instrument of that crime. Some people may claim that would be an ex post facto law, which is prohibited by the Constitution, but it is not. The crime would occur when you keep a the illegal firearm after the law takes effect, not for having it before it took effect.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I'm amazed at the lengths people go to rationalize, excuse, or ignore what Trump says especially taking his antigun stance that he has held for most of his life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

MJK
    Hope Wayne LaPierre has a line open to DJT amd can exert some influence.
    I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. But Im pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, Ill kill you all."
    James Mad Dog Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    I'm amazed at the lengths people go to rationalize, excuse, or ignore what Trump says especially taking his antigun stance that he has held for most of his life.
    WWHD? What Would Hillary Do? For that matter, what would any primary candidate do except for maybe Cruz? These guys react to the voters, believe it or not and the voters in the gun community is not making their voices heard. In some cases, they are actually siding with the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I heard on the news this morning that the NRA is supporting the proposed ban on rate of fire increasing devices, which will mean more than bump fire stocks. Also, Marion Hammer, the NRAs Florida lobbyist, says the NRA will not take a position on Florida's proposed "assault weapon" legislation until it sees the final text. That is politico-speak for "We could go either way on it." If they wanted to take a strong stand, they would say what they will oppose while the bill is being drafted like, "We will opposed any restrictions on modern sporting rifles." It seems like the NRA is either going to completely roll over on this one, or only put up faint opposition.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    I do not own and never wanted an AR. But I do have a Steyr AUG, and an AK47 with a folding stock.
    The President banning them? I doubt it.

The only law that makes any sense, arm teachers, who already have carry licenses or ex Military who would step up to the plate.

Trump and the NRA are dead to me.
    A former lifetime NRA member.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Influence, like helping draft the bill to ban it?
    vminghelli2, jmf552 and Risasi like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

It is alarming that this statement would be made - If you want one, now is probably better than later.

Looks like the slump in firearms sales is about to end.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

The amount of double think they have to employ is beyond reasonable comprehension. Trump is and always has been a con man. He sold a bogus bill of goods and now the marks are maybe going to finally figure out that they were conned. Trump has no interest except his self interest.

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    Trump and the NRA are dead to me.
    A former lifetime NRA member.
    Over bump stocks?
    G-man*, flintlock62 and airslot like this.

Tell that to the people in MA who've been ORDERED to surrender bumpstocks. No grandfathering, no option to transfer out of state, just hand it over.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    WWHD? What Would Hillary Do? For that matter, what would any primary candidate do except for maybe Cruz? These guys react to the voters, believe it or not and the voters in the gun community is not making their voices heard. In some cases, they are actually siding with the opposition.
    Why do people always feel the need to mention Hilary when ever someone is critical of Trump? I get that between the two choices, Trump was the lessor evil, but that fact does not mean that he should never be held accountable for what he says, does, or doesn't do. As if we are supposed to just sit back, shut up, and just be grateful anti gun Hilary wasn't elected whenever Trump say or does anything anti-gun. What get's me is that if Hilary was in office and she was saying word for word what Trump is saying right now, we'd be outraged over it.

Whether other candidates would support any gun control measure is unknown, and IMHO, I do not think most of them would have. What I do know and the difference is if it was any other candidate, the gun community would have had a fit! Romney, Bush, Graham, Christie, etc would NEVER get a pass for saying some of the stuff Trump is currently saying about gun control let alone would have even been considered for president if they spent the majority of their lives being pro gun control as well has donating primarily to pro gun control candidates. But you're right, the gun community aren't making their voice heard, they are to busy being complacent because Trump is in office, and many are siding with the opposition. Heck, even several forum members are siding with the opposition when it comes to bump stocks, and others are foolishly dismissing and sitting back quietly while Trump and his administration say they're open for more gun control.

I'm not at all surprised, Trump's a weasel and he's feeling heat over his other weasel behavior so I'm not be at all shocked at anything he does in an effort to get some good press and stroke his miserable weasel ego.
    Tacklebarry, TeflonDon and ExGM like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links