White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban" - Page 3

White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban"

This is a discussion on White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think that Trump, like many if not all politicians, is basically an opportunist. He acts in ways that are most advantageous to him. He ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: White House says it "has not closed doors on assault weapon ban"

DG
    I think that Trump, like many if not all politicians, is basically an opportunist. He acts in ways that are most advantageous to him. He says things like, "I'll have the attorney general look into it", "nothing's off the table", "we've not closed the door". Such statements are meant to appease those who would like to see most if not all popular firearms banned or so severely restricted that ownership would be next to impossible for most people. Secondly, the possibility of bans or restrictions historically stimulates firearm sales. It's possible his speech could save Remington from bankruptcy. Saving those American jobs would certainly be a feather in his cap. He says so much in speeches and Tweets that he can make you dizzy trying to keep up with him. You have to watch what he actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I don't think that is right. 5A says, "...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation." That clause deals with eminent domain, where the government appropriates private property to repurpose it. An example is if the government decides to put a highway through your property. They can do a forced buyout, but they have to pay you fair market value." (supposedly)

But I think the government can get around that if it is declaring something illegal and seizing it. I'm pretty sure it would come under the heading of "asset seizure" which is confiscation of proceeds or instruments of crime. So if you are in possession of weapon that was newly declared illegal, you would be in violation of a law, and that weapon would be an instrument of that crime. Some people may claim that would be an ex post facto law, which is prohibited by the Constitution, but it is not. The crime would occur when you keep a the illegal firearm after the law takes effect, not for having it before it took effect.

The government could try to claim the ban as a police power as opposed to taking but that would be problematic. The common terminology used by the antis that these are "weapons of war" would by extension make them suitable for militia use as described in United States v Miller. If something is not theoretically protected because it was deemed not suitable for military use, something that is suitable must then be protected.

Most of the things the feds have banned in the last fifty years or more have been under the commerce clause. The courts have yet to define the limits of that theory. That is why grandfather clauses are so popular. You can easily say that new production and sales involve interstate commerce, and few would argue that. But saying that something that is already in the possession of the theoretical end user, and may have been for years, is currently involved in interstate commerce is a bit of a reach.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    The Washington DC people are just grabbing all they can, have done for years. President Trump is doing what he can and is 100% better than either of the Clintons or Obama.

If anyone can fix this Country, it is President Trump. My Wife and I voted for him, and will again.

And I still carry a fully loaded Glock 19, every time I leave the house, and it is sitting next to me now.

Fully loaded, 16 rounds in the Pistol!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Over bump stocks?
    Itís not about bump stocks itís about opening the door to more gun control. I have submachineguns so I could care less about bump stocks. Trump and the NRA sold us out the worst is yet to come unfortunately.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-rules-n724106

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    Itís not about bump stocks itís about opening the door to more gun control. I have submachineguns so I could care less about bump stocks. Trump and the NRA sold us out the worst is yet to come unfortunately.
    To be fair, while I don't think Trump explicitly cares about our 2nd amendment rights, I think that it would be highly unlikely at this time that we're going to be able to avoid ANY further restrictions. There's simply too much power on the left in terms of mobilizing the media and the crowds.

Trump was a turncoat traitor to begin with and I had a funny feeling about that to begin with, but voted for him anyways. Because... Can you imagine what would be happening if the other party had won?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    TeflonDon likes this.

Bump stocks of course are not guns. I guess you could call them an accessory of sorts, maybe similar to suppressors or some other device. They just are not something I'd burn my NRA card over.

IF Trump pushes an AWB, he's thrown the NRA under the bus.
    TeflonDon likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Bump stocks of course are not guns. I guess you could call them an accessory of sorts, maybe similar to suppressors or some other device. They just are not something I'd burn my NRA card over.
    And using that justification is exactly how they will basically eliminate all firearms. Therefore, I will continue my belief that the NRA is not The group I want being the face of gun rights.
    wizard7mm08 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Trash talking the NRA is not an effective strategy to protect gun rights. I didn't hear LaPierre calling for an AWB in his address at CPAC. There is no other organization that has their influence.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1G61KZ
    wmhawth likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Whether its truly on the mind of the president or not , I think that every one who voted for him ought to write him a letter and give him your views on the subject. It's all well and good discuss the matter but right now is the time to act if you actually want to do something about it because every liberal gun grabber are jumping on this incident to write up gun grabbing bills.
    Personally I'm writing him to let him know that I would hope that he wouldn't fall for media hype and sensationalism. The fact of the matter is that there are 20 to 30% more murders committed by hammer blows in America per year than so called assault rifles, so as far I'm concerned , if he wants to do some feel good banning, maybe he ought to look at banning hammers. I voted for him specifically because of gun rights and I doubt I'm the only one.
    G26Raven likes this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Respectfully what would It take for you to burn your NRA card?

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    IF Trump pushes an AWB, he's thrown the NRA under the bus.
    If Trump pushes an AWB, he's thrown us under the bus. The 2A was one of the biggest reasons I voted for him. I imagine that's the case for a whole lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    To be fair, while I don't think Trump explicitly cares about our 2nd amendment rights, I think that it would be highly unlikely at this time that we're going to be able to avoid ANY further restrictions. There's simply too much power on the left in terms of mobilizing the media and the crowds.
    You bring up a good point. If there's anything the left does well it's getting their voices heard. Of course, we won't/don't have the advantage of the media being on our side, but we can certainly get better organized and better at voicing our positions to our lawmakers.
    gnius and G26Raven like this.
    "The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principle upon which it was founded."

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    You bring up a good point. If there's anything the left does well it's getting their voices heard. Of course, we won't/don't have the advantage of the media being on our side, but we can certainly get better organized and better at voicing our positions to our lawmakers.
    It's hard not to be heard when every media outlet WANTS you to be heard.
    It's much harder to be heard when every media outlet wants to SHUT YOU UP.
    airslot likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links