NRA membership hits new records! - Page 3

NRA membership hits new records!

This is a discussion on NRA membership hits new records! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I rejoined the other day....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: NRA membership hits new records!

I rejoined the other day.
    OD* and SatCong like this.

Twenty-some years ago there was a minor news article about Congressional Charters. Hundreds of non-profit organizations are "Chartered" by congress. It's strictly an honorary thing that gets renewed every 5 or 10 years. The renewal process rarely merits discussion, but this year was different. Some congressman decided to pitch a fit about the "Daughters of the Confederacy". They're like the DAR but for women whose ancestors were confederate soldiers. Apparently it was a dwindling society of old southern ladies who got together for canasta and a mint julep every few months. Anyway, the congress suddenly viewed them as a danger to democracy and refused their charter.

A few months later I was listening to a NPR radio interview with the president of the DofC. The reporter asked how the group was holding up since the fracas and seemed genuinely surprised by the response. Thousands of inquiries, applications were through the roof, processing was backed up by 2-3 months and money is pouring in.

It's like deja vu. Another bunch of self-important do gooders shoot themselves in the foot. When will they learn?
    Mike1956, msgt/ret, OD* and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahannas View Post
    Twenty-some years ago there was a minor news article about Congressional Charters. Hundreds of non-profit organizations are "Chartered" by congress. It's strictly an honorary thing that gets renewed every 5 or 10 years. The renewal process rarely merits discussion, but this year was different. Some congressman decided to pitch a fit about the "Daughters of the Confederacy". They're like the DAR but for women whose ancestors were confederate soldiers. Apparently it was a dwindling society of old southern ladies who got together for canasta and a mint julep every few months. Anyway, the congress suddenly viewed them as a danger to democracy and refused their charter.

A few months later I was listening to a NPR radio interview with the president of the DofC. The reporter asked how the group was holding up since the fracas and seemed genuinely surprised by the response. Thousands of inquiries, applications were through the roof, processing was backed up by 2-3 months and money is pouring in.

It's like deja vu. Another bunch of self-important do gooders shoot themselves in the foot. When will they learn?
    I missed your first post, but this a dandy second one.

Welcome to the forum.
    svgheartland and OD* like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahannas View Post

I don’t want to jack the thread but I “think” that DofC were very responsible for the majority of the Confederate statues that we enjoy, or enjoyed, in the South land. They’re the ones who found the funding and the artisans, they found a way through the legal gibberish to bring them to public places. So now, of course, that makes us all commie rats for seeing Stonewall as a true historical figure with, at minimum, some virtues as a military leader. But anyway, soon they’ll be digging up Charlton Heston for a rainbow exorcism and a stern talking to as he goes back to the soil in an unmarked grave with Charles Manson.
    msgt/ret, OD* and airslot like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member

Reduced rate one year nra membership

I posted that the NRA used to have a $10 a year membership - no magazine - but they discontinued it. I was wrong!!!! They still do, and it is a way for you to join the NRA to swell the membership numbers even if you are pretty strapped for cash:

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...ignid=XR031351

Click on Junior, Distinguished and Other memberships tab.

For ten bucks a person, this would be a great time time buy memberships for everyone in your family and circle of friends who isn't a member yet. $100 would buy ten new memberships. Just one more idea to toss out here.

Also: As a $10 a year associate member you don't get to vote for board members, but at this point getting folks started is important, and then they can change to a regular membership with magazine and voting rights if they choose to do so.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; March 4th, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I posted that the NRA used to have a $10 a year membership - no magazine - but they discontinued it. I was wrong!!!! They still do, and it is a way for you to join the NRA to swell the membership numbers even if you are pretty strapped for cash:

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...ignid=XR031351

Click on Junior, Distinguished and Other memberships tab.

For ten bucks a person, this would be a great time time buy memberships for everyone in your family and circle of friends who isn't a member yet. $100 would buy ten new memberships. Just one more idea to toss out here.
    Maybe we can have a stickie with NRA promotional memberships! This would be good info to have accessible.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    People join, but dont always stay members forever. How often after something like this do you think someone joins the NRA, then doesnt renew it? Probably quite often.

I guess only favorable opinions of the NRA are allowed on this forum now.
    I have been a member from 1966. And yes I'm for ever, I'm life member.
    msgt/ret, Havok and airslot like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

New member as of today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    New member as of today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you, @SmoothJazz !
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

My wife joined today for the first time. On her own

Senior Moderator
    I'm already a Life Member, but I upgraded Mrs. RETSUPT99 to a Life Member and made an additional contribution to NRA TV.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I was a patron member, but I upgraded my membership level last week.
    SatCong, OD* and airslot like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links