Justice Dept. files regulations to ban bump stocks

This is a discussion on Justice Dept. files regulations to ban bump stocks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Justice Department files regulations to ban bump stocks This does not require Congressional approval. Ultimately, I am not willing to fight a bump stock ban ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Justice Dept. files regulations to ban bump stocks

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar

Justice Department files regulations to ban bump stocks

This does not require Congressional approval. Ultimately, I am not willing to fight a bump stock ban because my position is that they are not firearms and regulations against them do not infringe on my RTKBA. I prefer to keep my powder dry for the defense of Light Duty Rifles (thank you, @CavemanBob !).

I understand the slippery slope of any regulations or legislation but just don't think bump stocks are the hill worth dying on.

The timing is cause for concern, however, considering bump stocks had nothing to do with the Parkland, FL shooting.
    CG11 likes this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

While I do not want a bump stock what will be next, adjustable stocks that make a rifle shorter and easier to conceal??? To me bans like this just open the door for more knee jerk laws.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

To be clear, a bump stock is a toy, a gizmo, a gimmick. You put one on your AR and go out and fire $100 worth of ammo in about a minute. Wildly inaccurate, it's good for almost nothing except what Paddock did with them. If you're spraying a wide area and want maximum rate of fire, great. How many people need to do that?

There is no compelling use-case for these things except as novelty items. You install it, go out, play machine-gun Kelly for a few minutes, take it off, and never use it again. So I'm fine with banning them. You know the rules and cost for owning a machine gun. Buying some plastic deal that skirts the rule so you can wink and go "haw-haw, it's technically legal" is the sort of thing that makes us all look bad and irresponsible.

We either act like sensible adults and behave in a smart manner, or rules will come down that nobody wants.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

^^^^^^ agree 100%
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few that learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. (Will Rogers)
    USAF Ret. 1960 - 1982
    Been shootin' one thing or another since 1950.

Uh...you previous two posters DO realize it's more than just "bump stocks", right?
    OD* likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    There is no compelling use-case for these things except as novelty items. You install it, go out, play machine-gun Kelly for a few minutes, take it off, and never use it again. So I'm fine with banning them. You know the rules and cost for owning a machine gun. Buying some plastic deal that skirts the rule so you can wink and go "haw-haw, it's technically legal" is the sort of thing that makes us all look bad and irresponsible.
    I wasn't going to comment on bump stocks because this was my feeling, a way to circumvent a law that has been on the books for decades. If you want to keep bump stocks bring them under the same rules as full-auto weapons and, if I recall, the relation for replacement sears that convert to full auto.

(And yes I realize they are talking about more than bump stocks in these bills, and I DO stand against the age changes and mag limits, etc.)
    maxwell97, msgt/ret and Merovius like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Bump Stocks are merely "Spray & Pray" gizmos for the tacticool crowd. A Binary Trigger, on the other hand, can be used with devastating effectiveness by an experienced shooter. These laws and (now) regulations are being written and implemented by people who know almost nothing about guns. This is most likely just political pandering to assuage the delicate sensibilities of the Left.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

This DOJ regulation is not the same thing as proposed legislation that must be passed by Congress (or state legislatures). This regulation side steps Congress and focuses solely on bump stocks.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depar...ng-bump-stocks
    maxwell97 and RonM0710 like this.
    Doug

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

Senior Member Array Chicagobill's Avatar
    I don't want one either; but I do agree with shockwave!
    shockwave likes this.

These "goofy, little doodads" (as Rick Vasquez, the ATF official who signed off on non-regulation for bump stocks, called them) were signed off on, so I don't consider them a haw-haw-I'm-skirting-the-law thing. I don't personally care for them, but I don't think they should be banned. They weren't even an issue until Paddock.
    OD*, airslot and Risasi like this.
    "The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principle upon which it was founded."

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    What would the rest of the bill ban?

The doj regulations are not a bill.
    Doug

The problem with this solution is, whoever is "king" can alter regulations with significant impact without having to go through Congress, where currently we have a gun friendly majority. If it's OK for Republicans to do it, surely the Dems will not be shy to use that method when they are king, and they will be king again no doubt. If you are against incrementalism (mag limits, gun free zones, etc), the strongest method to stop it is in the Senate where they need somewhere over 60 senators to overcome filibuster defenses. When the Dems can side step this process, you no longer can fully defend the 2nd amendment. Incrementalism will kill it slowly.

I don't give a flip about bump stocks.

There's a reason the Trump admin made this announcement on a weekend- far less scrutiny. I don't care about bump stocks one iota, but I don't like the regulations by fiat.

Such decisions are futher validation for why we defend the 2nd Amendment, and our RTKBA.
    OD* likes this.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I wasn't going to comment on bump stocks because this was my feeling, a way to circumvent a law that has been on the books for decades. If you want to keep bump stocks bring them under the same rules as full-auto weapons and, if I recall, the relation for replacement sears that convert to full auto.
    It seems that's exactly what's proposed:

'...notice of a proposed regulation to clarify that the definition of “machinegun” in the National Firearms Act and Gun Control Act includes bump stock type devices, and that federal law accordingly prohibits the possession, sale, or manufacture of such devices.'

I'll be curious to see the actual wording, but from this, it seems likely it won't capture other devices.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links