Open carry to make a point? - Page 3

Open carry to make a point?

This is a discussion on Open carry to make a point? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by heymarv I don't know that they alone were responsible for getting it passed, but, OC Texas was obviously involved and keen to ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree363Likes

Thread: Open carry to make a point?

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    I don't know that they alone were responsible for getting it passed, but, OC Texas was obviously involved and keen to see it passed. I have no issue with the law, obviously, at its core it's a good thing when gun rights are expanded. But in practice open carry falls on its face more than not in my opinion.
    If you don't exercise and outwardly protect your 2A rights....you will lose them to the billionaire funded liberal anti-gunner onslaught.
    tcbradbury98 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They could have done like the Ft. Pierce PD did: ask questions, talk guns, make a non-event of it, but no . . . it's left wing Miami and a scene must be made.
    Yep. Different depts handle it differently. That is my experience at least...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

THE BACK STORY OF THIS INCIDENT:

"In 1987 Florida became a "Shall-Issue" state for concealed carry licenses.

To ensure that gun owners would not be met with thousands of differing local regulations, the state legislature also passed preemption of all firearms laws. Amongst the ordinances invalidated was Dade County (JANET RENO'S) ban on openly carrying an unconcealed handgun.

Janet Reno, State Attorney for Dade County at the time, called on the legislature to close what she called a loophole in the new statewide carry laws and outright ban Open Carry throughout the state. Having just lost their fight against Shall-Issue concealed carry, the future US Attorney General, a handful of Florida Sheriffs and Police Chiefs, and newspapers statewide went on the offensive to call for a special session of the legislature to close what they dubbed the "Dodge City Loophole"¯.

NRA lobbyist Marion Hammer initially fought the open carry ban, explaining that allowing state wide open carry was not a loophole but a carefully planned and considered provision of the carry laws. NRA then announced that they would not fight the open carry ban at that time but pick up the issue during the next regular legislative session. The reason given was to delay implementation of open carry provisions while people became accustomed to concealed carry. While in special session over an unrelated tax matter, the legislature added the open carry ban to the agenda and quickly passed the measure.

30 years later, the Open Carry Ban that Janet Reno so skillfully lobbied for still stands in Florida. "

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    You should research this before you post. https://profiles.superlawyers.com/fl...f41e4c026.html
    No thanks, Doogie- I'll just wait for someone like you to provide the information and background, since the YouTube post provided no such info.

So "fisherman" Eric Friday is a defense attorney? Sounds like he was fishing for clients to represent...
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    It amazes me how anti-open carry many people are who conceal carry. Open carry should be available throughout America under the Second Amendment. When I was a kid, open carry was for upright citizens and concealed carry was by ne'er-do-wells up to no good. All gun owners should support all other gun owners no matter what or how they carry.
    I agree. I like that my state allows both open and concealed carry. I carry somewhere in between the two (usually in an OWB holster with a cover garment). The gun isn't out in the open, but it isn't concealed so deeply that I have to undress to get to it. I don't worry if it prints a bit or if the shirt rides up over the bottom of the holster when I'm reaching for a can on the top shelf in the grocery store. Most people never notice. I've never had anyone say anything about it.

Name:  oc.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  20.1 KB

Ding Dong the witch is gone! Time to get rid of that law.
    Doogie, OD*, tcbradbury98 and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Yep. Different depts handle it differently. That is my experience at least...
    In Miami they have the attitude: "Nobody's bringing guns into my town...I'm the law round these parts". Even though preemption was passed in 1987. BTW, The City of Cleveland is the exact same way. OC is legal in Ohio and they will shake you down and harass you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacement View Post
    No thanks, Doogie- I'll just wait for someone like you to provide the information and background, since the YouTube post provided no such info.

So "fisherman" Eric Friday is a defense attorney? Sounds like he was fishing for clients to represent...
    He is Chief Counsel for Open Carry in Florida. SP he's not fishing for anything. This is what they do. They are a 2A rights organization. They are not afraid of the police in these liberal strongholds. Just the opposite. If you notice in the videos they are wearing cameras.

BTW in 1988 there were 32,814 CWPs in Florida. in 2017 there were 1,784,395...........guess it's not "Dodge City"

1.2 million were added since Obama took office in 2008...............Thanks Barry!!
    darbo likes this.

It is still a call for service whether we like it or not. Dispatch just cant ignore the call....
    There are many options to address such a call. Responding with guns drawn and arresting someone who was complying with the law is what authoritarian despots do.
    PPS1980, tcbradbury98 and darbo like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    It amazes me how anti-open carry many people are who conceal carry. Open carry should be available throughout America under the Second Amendment.
    Speaking for myself, I'm not anti open carry from a legislative standpoint. I'm happy to see constitutional carry pass in states. However, the amount of "derp" associated with those who choose to carry openly is too much for me. There's a lot of open carry that happens that never gets noticed I'm sure, however, often what ends up in the public eye is hard to support.

Its a double edged sword, it worked in Texas, but failed in Cali. In the mid 90s I was very active in OC and expressing my rights. Long story short, being taken down, shotguns pointed at the back of my head, I no longer OC and its legal in my state.
    Exactly what happened in Cali.

If I recall correctly, some dudes wanted to make news ink w ARs in public places, and the Uber leftie Cali legislature (who likely did not even know that OC was the law at the time) quickly banned it.

From then on, it was difficult to even transport a weapon in a car in cali (CCW holders were excepted to an extent).

Sometimes it is a horrible idea to force the issue; however if one absolutely wants to be newsy, then non threatening optics are the very best way.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

VIP Member
    Please remember that in FL until recently ANY minor and accidental showing of a pistol because your cover garment rode up, slipped, etc. could result in your being body-slammed to the ground by a Peace Officer and arrested. Don't think it happened to 50+ year old law-abiding citizens of FL? Use google and see. Again, the 2A says "shall not be infringed". It doesn't say "officer discretion" or even "judicial discretion" or G*f forbid elected DA decision - it says "shall not be infringed".
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I don't know that they alone were responsible for getting it passed, but, OC Texas was obviously involved and keen to see it passed. I have no issue with the law, obviously, at its core it's a good thing when gun rights are expanded. But in practice open carry falls on its face more than not in my opinion.
    I would like to know more about this.

Speaking for myself, I'm not anti open carry from a legislative standpoint. I'm happy to see constitutional carry pass in states. However, the amount of "derp" associated with those who choose to carry openly is too much for me. There's a lot of open carry that happens that never gets noticed I'm sure, however, often what ends up in the public eye is hard to support.
    Is “derp” a slang term for a holstered 1911 or Glock?
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacement View Post
    Open Carry should be done whenever and where ever it is legal, and as desired by the responsible gun owner.

But those who choose to open carry should do so in a discerning manner. If one wants to make a statement about their right to do so (for the purpose of advancing the right), they can choose more impactful methods than setting up a confrontation to be shared on YouTube.

If harrassment is prevalent in one's jurisdiction, make a YouTube about it. Post it on Facebook. Write a letter to the editor, and letters to the LE agencies in the area. Appeal to your elected representatives. But be an adult about it, and a credit to the advancement of the RKBA.
    There is nothing to "advance" in the RKBA. It is a God given right recognized in our Constitution not some "movement" and it is being taken illegally and immorally by despots and self appointed rulers. Its way past time being discreet which is why we have lost so much already. Just because some open carry results in seeing the real Gestapo at work does not mean its wrong even if it makes you uncomfortable. If that makes you uncomfortable how will you feel when those same police knock on your door to confiscate your guns because someone reported you were on a "gun blog" and a "danger"?
    Doogie, Havok, 2nd_is_1st and 2 others like this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links