Open carry to make a point?

This is a discussion on Open carry to make a point? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I understand what this group (Florida Carry) is trying to do, but I don't think they are going about it the right way. I don't ...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree363Likes

Thread: Open carry to make a point?

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar

I understand what this group (Florida Carry) is trying to do, but I don't think they are going about it the right way. I don't particularly like that, in an effort to make a constitutional statement, they put law enforcement in a compromised position. I'm glad the situation ended as it did.

Florida Carry while fishing on a public pier
    DZUS likes this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

People doing a perfectly lawful activity doesn't justify overreaction by law enforcement.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    People doing a perfectly lawful activity doesn't justify overreaction by law enforcement.
    Amen brother. People seem to think, including many in law enforcement, that their opinions are the quivalent of LAW. They are no such thing, and that goes for my opinions too. Unfortunately, the only opinions about law that matter are those rendered by unaccountable lawyers in fancy black robes.
    ShotPlacement likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I understand, agree with, and appreciate this point.

That said, as evidenced by the premeditated video capture and comments, it's clear the Florida Carry members intended to have a confrontation/interaction with the police. I didn't see an overreaction by law enforcement, who were probably just told by dispatch that 6 armed men were on the pier. The officers came in strong and direct, as they should. They kept cool while motormouth kept up his passive aggressive pontificating (and he was correct with everything he said).

If these guys had been terrorists, or just bad guys in general and started shooting up people on the pier or shooting the officers upon being confronted, law enforcement would be damned if they did, damned if they didn't.

If these guys wanted to make a point, they could have easily just notifed police that they were going to fish while open carrying (documenting the whole thing). Then, if law enforcement tried to prevent them, they would have had a much more impactful statement to make.

I think LEO is generally on the side of the pro-2A crowd. They've got a difficult enough job as is without us making it harder, just to prove a point. Now, if they (like Sheriff Israel of Broward County) want to actively fight against our RKBA, then absolutely, give them hell.
    G26Raven and DZUS like this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacement View Post
    I understand, agree with, and appreciate this point.

That said, as evidenced by the premeditated video capture and comments, it's clear the Florida Carry members intended to have a confrontation/interaction with the police. I didn't see an overreaction by law enforcement, who were probably just told by dispatch that 6 armed men were on the pier. The officers came in strong and direct, as they should.

If these guys had been terrorists, or just bad guys in general and started shooting up people on the pier or shooting the officers upon being confronted, law enforcement would be damned if they did, damned if they didn't.

If these guys wanted to make a point, they could have easily just notifed police that they were going to fish while open carrying (documenting the whole thing). Then, if law enforcement tried to prevent them, they would have had a much more impactful statement to make.

I think LEO is generally on the side of the pro-2A crowd. They've got a difficult enough job as is without us making it harder, just to prove a point. Now, if they (like Sheriff Israel of Broward County) want to actively fight against our RKBA, then absolutely, give them hell.
    First, I do NOT OC for a variety of reasons. Do you watch any of the videos on YouTube of police harassing OC citizens? It happens a LOT, and is generally either a citizen over reaction or a police officer being self-important and making up "law" as they go along. I briefly exposed my CC weapon once while getting out of my vehicle on the way into WalMart. When I came back out a local PD officer was waiting for me. I could see the female jabbering at him intensely and pointing to me. In GA the police are legally barred from asking to see your GWL without some other alleged crime. In this instance the PO saw me, said hello, asked how my day was, I answered politely and smiled, and he turned back to the woman who had escalated her vitriol. In that case the officer did precisely what he should have without any flourishes. That happens too, but many of my friends in GCO who OC routinely report being harassed by law enforcement who seem to think they can say whatever they want as if they were the Supreme Court.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

I don't know that I've ever seen an open carry video filmed by an open carrier that achieved the desired result, whether the intent was to educate, inform, normalize open carry in the public arena, etc. My opinion is that open carry done legally or otherwise only serves to turn public opinion against guns and the second amendment in general.
    G-man* and DZUS like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    I don't know that I've ever seen an open carry video filmed by an open carrier that achieved the desired result, whether the intent was to educate, inform, normalize open carry in the public arena, etc. My opinion is that open carry done legally or otherwise only serves to turn public opinion against guns and the second amendment in general.
    Interesting, didn't such a movement get the law changed in Texas not too long ago? Perhaps I am misremembering?
    Havok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Interesting, didn't such a movement get the law changed in Texas not too long ago? Perhaps I am misremembering?
    Its a double edged sword, it worked in Texas, but failed in Cali. In the mid 90s I was very active in OC and expressing my rights. Long story short, being taken down, shotguns pointed at the back of my head, I no longer OC and its legal in my state.
    DZUS, The Old Anglo and Nmuskier like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    It never quite works out the way they envision.
    G26Raven, G-man*, OlCop and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I open carry when fishing and hunting. Otherwise, concealed. There isn't enough information to know whether pointing the firearm at people was justified or not, BUT could easily understand the officers having their weapons "at the ready".

These "protests" will end with open carry being banned, including while lawfully hunting or fishing. Idiots being idiots never solves anything.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    The Old Anglo likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its a double edged sword, it worked in Texas, but failed in Cali. In the mid 90s I was very active in OC and expressing my rights. Long story short, being taken down, shotguns pointed at the back of my head, I no longer OC and its legal in my state.
    Everything fails in Kommiefornia. I do not believe it can be used as a model for ANYWHERE else, thank G*d.
    ShotPlacement, Psycho41 and Havok like this.

I dont open carry but I think its good that someone stands up for those rights. Its sad that we have the right to do so but all know and expect that we will be harassed for doing just that
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Everything fails in Kommiefornia. I do not believe it can be used as a model for ANYWHERE else, thank G*d.
    It does, especially when its brought front and center. The right was exercised, then taken away. Whether or not we agree with Cali, it still pertains. The commies are fighting every inch of this battle, we need to fight smarter, not harder....
    OD*, G26Raven and BuckJM53 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

So, let me get this straight. Open carry should not be done even though it is a right because that will get open carry banned which you don't do anyway because you fear it will get banned. If you don't anyway why would you care if it gets banned?
    Sheep much?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links