Defensive Carry banner

A shooting...Florida gun laws a target now

1K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
#2 ·
A few days before the election. Happened yesterday. The "Parkland" rep was right next door. Gillium had to tell everyone he was breaking off his campaign to return to Tallahassee - why? I have no clue what he can do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6348249/Shooter-opens-fire-Tallahassee-yoga-studio-turning-gun-himself.html

And the talk has already started on local social media. Only problem here is, an AR wasn't used.
Perhaps not, but an assault weapon ban will cover lots more than just ARs.

#5 ·
Exactly. Most Assault Weapons Bans include all semi-automatic guns, including shotguns, that have one of a list of certain characteristics (adjustable stock, pistol or second grip, threaded barrel, barrel shroud, built in magazine or accept magazines over a certain size). The other kicker I thick interesting is they also don’t differentiate between caliber, meaning a .22 or PCC is the same as a 5.56 or .308.

Don’t forget police and federal leo (even) retired are usually exempt too.

#3 ·
Well, he is still the mayor of Tallahassee, right? It would look pretty bad for him if he just kept campaigning and ignored a shooting that got national attention. Especially if he hopes to keep his job as mayor if he loses the election.

Maybe it is a far-right conspiracy intended to get Gillium off the campaign trail and shine light on crime in his city just before the election to give DeSantis an edge.

Or, maybe it is a leftist false flag intended to demonize guns and motivate Democrats to go to the polls, while giving Gillium an opportunity to show himself as a strong leader to his community in a time of crisis.

On the other hand, the guy might have just been a nutcase.

#22 ·
My first thought as well. This was specific. If all he wanted to do was shoot someone he could have just stayed on the first floor and potentially have more targets. Since the deceased are both associated with FSU it wouldn't surprise me to find another link. I really think this was specific.

Reactions: Nmuskier
#7 · (Edited)
Florida seems to have more tha it’s share of shootings that get media attention. These are some from 2017 and 2018. The number indicates the number of deaths. I did not include shootings where people were only wounded.

Parkland High School 17
Orlando Night Club. 49
Miami Video Game Conference 3
Yoga Studio 3
Fort Liudedake Airport 5
Gainesville 2 sheriff deputies

If one were to include the shootings with only multiple wounded the number would more than double.

Glad FL honors my PA license in case I ever have to go there.

#20 ·
I do not get your point. Since it followed my post#7 I guess it might be aimed at me. Correct or not? I am really curious.

In my post I was reporting statistics that indicate FL has a substantial mass shooting experience, and because of that I was glad my PA permit was good in FL I would feel a bit safer if I go there. I think statistics give insight into reality, and realistic appraisals are always good.

I just wanted to compare FL mass shootings with other states. I found the statistics here

From 1982 to 2018 CA has 18, FL had 10. My state of PA had 3. If you expand the stats you can see every state. I was surprised that CA and FL led the country.

Anyway, I am not a media pawn, but I am a statistics junkie.

#9 ·
What sort of gun law would prevent this crime?
It is a sad thing but as most of us know the leftist wont use rational thinking so their agenda pushes on.

I've said it before but the folks that will tilt the scale are those that say they support the 2nd A but think only certain weapons should be legal. Then, over time we realize what really happened.
Sorta like what happened with the Patriot Act. Under the banner for a "safer" society, we lose more freedoms.

#17 ·
I think more oppressive gun laws are almost inevitable. My perception of the inevitability stems from SCOTUS’ recent refusal to hear assault rifle bans in two states. It has apparenlty decided not to further define or clarify Heller, but instead to allow the states to make their own interpretations. Perhaps with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh o the Court now it will accept such cases in the future, but that is one big hope.

The most significant failure regarding gun rights for me personally is the failure to enact national reciprocity. With my PA resident and AZ non resident permits I can drive from PA to FL carrying in every state except MD, which I have to pass through. Going north is even worse. I have to deal with NJ and NY (the worst) and then CT and MA (bad).

I think McConnel dropped the ball on national reciprocity by not acting this year on the Senate Bill. He had an opportunity to get it attached to another bill and put red/purple state Democratic Senators running for election in a bind. JMO.

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.