Denver Trauma Surgeon: "This is our lane!"

This is a discussion on Denver Trauma Surgeon: "This is our lane!" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another clueless, self-righteous physician claims she knows better than firearms experts: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ates-firestorm There is a violence problem, few would dispute that, but connecting the instrument ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Denver Trauma Surgeon: "This is our lane!"

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

Another clueless, self-righteous physician claims she knows better than firearms experts:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ates-firestorm

There is a violence problem, few would dispute that, but connecting the instrument to the violence is pretty sorry logic.
    CG11, scottync and GeorgeandSugar like this.

I think I will pick up a copy of “Field and Stream” to check out the latest trends in brain surgery.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    She can get back to me when her and her colleagues aren't A.) causing more deaths through their own errors on an astronomically higher rate than all deaths due to a firearm and B.) when they start getting an actual handle on how many psychotics they're creating with what appears to be an unchecked overmedicating of an entire segment of our society.

I'll wait but I'm not holding my breath...
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Funny all these ER docs fail to mention that 95% of gunshot wounds treated are from gang bangers and criminals, free of charge by the way. Any ER docs here care to dispute that? Of course more gun restrictions will stop that, just look at how well the existing ones are working. Can't argue with success eh doctor?
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

VIP Member
    There are an estimated 4000 deaths per year from crashes caused by drivers distracted by cell phones. Three quarters of them are teenagers.

Wouldn't these 'experts' save a lot more lives by calling for a ban on cell phones while driving?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrambler View Post
    Funny all these ER docs fail to mention that 95% of gunshot wounds treated are from gang bangers and criminals, free of charge by the way. Any ER docs here care to dispute that? Of course more gun restrictions will stop that, just look at how well the existing ones are working. Can't argue with success eh doctor?
    They also conveniently ignore all the deaths and injuries that a person being armed has prevented, often without a shot ever being fired.

Senior Moderator
    Consider all the injuries and deaths caused by drunk drivers, far more than those cause by accidental or criminal misuse of firearms. Why aren't these same doctors going after AAA and the automakers?

Likewise, what law prevents a convicted DUI driver from owning a whole fleet of vehicles? Does anyone confiscate automobiles because they think an owner might be a risk to himself or others?

The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Excellent rebuttal from physician and gun writer Dr. Will Dabbs here:
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/t...ra-physicians/
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    That was an ill-advised statement by the NRA, IMO. Too easy to eviscerate on rebuttal.
    Doghandler and goldshellback like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I cleaned a deer once. So I’m basically a surgeon.
    We get the government we deserve.

Ex Member
    OK, I am putting on my helmet and flack jacket on because I think I am about to undergo a barrage.

The Docs’ opinions are based upon their professional mission. As stated in the web article they see part of their work as being trying to stop injuries from occurrring regardless of the method of injury. Now let’s be understanding of that fact. If doctors did not care about causes there would not be a polio vaccine and many other preventive medicines. So the Docs had every right to express their opinions and findings, just as we do and the NRA did.

The problem here is the NRA once again used the tactic of inciting its base by rejecting the Docs paper and chastising them for butting into something the NRA decided was not the Docs business. There are those who believe that the way to deal with disagreement is to intimidate, isolate, denigarate, etc, just like th NRA does. My view and method are different. I gain nothing but an enemy if I reject them out of hand and tell them they do not know what they are talking about, and also that they have no business talking about it. The NRA’s polarization of gun foes only strengthens the foes. The Docs and the AMA are not going away. They have big bucks too. In fact if they team up with insurers who pay the bills for the surgeries and treatments from gun wounds they can crush the NRA. It is about time for the NRA to understand the process of dispute resolution and engage it it. If it ever does that, I will become a life memes instead of a non member.

Ok, I am headed for the bunker.

Distinguished Member
    Guess I'd better put on a helmet and join you, 1942bull. I agree.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    OK, I am putting on my helmet and flack jacket on because I think I am about to undergo a barrage.

The Docs’ opinions are based upon their professional mission. As stated in the web article they see part of their work as being trying to stop injuries from occurrring regardless of the method of injury. Now let’s be understanding of that fact. If doctors did not care about causes there would not be a polio vaccine and many other preventive medicines. So the Docs had every right to express their opinions and findings, just as we do and the NRA did.

The problem here is the NRA once again used the tactic of inciting its base by rejecting the Docs paper and chastising them for butting into something the NRA decided was not the Docs business. There are those who believe that the way to deal with disagreement is to intimidate, isolate, denigarate, etc, just like th NRA does. My view and method are different. I gain nothing but an enemy if I reject them out of hand and tell them they do not know what they are talking about, and also that they have no business talking about it. The NRA’s polarization of gun foes only strengthens the foes. The Docs and the AMA are not going away. They have big bucks too. In fact if they team up with insurers who pay the bills for the surgeries and treatments from gun wounds they can crush the NRA. It is about time for the NRA to understand the process of dispute resolution and engage it it. If it ever does that, I will become a life memes instead of a non member.

No need to hunker down on my account. I'm right there with you on this one.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

TX expat, I like the way you think.
    TX expat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post

The problem with their point of view, is that it doesn’t differentiate between me shooting the bad guy, and the bad guy shooting me. It does differentiate between me being shot to death, and me being hit in the face with a baseball bat, but not the fact that I’m dead either way. Only that there wasn’t a bullet being taken from my body, so they view it as a win.
    1942bull, msgt/ret and Nmuskier like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The problem with their point of view, is that it doesn’t differentiate between me shooting the bad guy, and the bad guy shooting me. It does differentiate between me being shot to death, and me being hit in the face with a baseball bat, but not the fact that I’m dead either way. Only that there wasn’t a bullet being taken from my body, so they view it as a win.
    Thank you Havok, you made my exact point by a perfect example. I agree with you analysis of the deficiency of Docs’ position. Ithere is no way I could agree with you more as Imhit 100%. You made my point by presenting a deficiency in the Doc’s report. That is what the NRA should have done. But instead it chose to reject without clarification and belittle the Docs for their point of view. Thanks Havoc.
    Havok likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links