Good article about the abuse of private sale background check exemption. - Page 2

Good article about the abuse of private sale background check exemption.

This is a discussion on Good article about the abuse of private sale background check exemption. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 1942bull I am not driven by emotion. I escaped that fault in Nam. The article,simply and plainly Laos,out facts about a small ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Good article about the abuse of private sale background check exemption.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I am not driven by emotion. I escaped that fault in Nam. The article,simply and plainly Laos,out facts about a small part of how persons profit by evading existing gun laws. Attributing that report to a propaganda is nothing more than denying fact. There is a clear abuse os privilege by some who profit from such sales. That is wrong and we ought to address it by insisting on better judicial action, which, in case you missed the point of the article, is what it was about.
    Nope...that part about unlicensed dealers and the guns they sell was the lead-in...the POINT of the article, as CNN is publishing it, is, from the linked article:

"The impact of unlicensed gun dealing would be greatly reduced if every gun sale -- not just those by licensed dealers -- required a background check on the prospective buyer, law enforcement officials told CNN.
    That's the goal of a bill passed by the House last month. But the prospect of such a measure passing the Republican-controlled Senate, where the NRA holds significant sway, is slim, political observers say."

CNN ran the story about unlicensed dealers to scare/sell the Universal Background Check...no other reason. CNN doesn't give a rat's rectum about existing laws not being enforced well, they're all about pushing the anti-2A agenda...as most members here have rightly deduced.
    Mike1956, msgt/ret, OD* and 6 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    If they aren't obaying the current law why would they obay a new law that says they must get a background check?

The only way I could see making money selling guns that were bought at retail prices is by selling them and an increased price. The only people that are going to pay more for a gun from an individual then they can get from a store is someone who wouldn't pass a background check. Do you think these people are suddenly going to stop buying guns illegally?
    OD*, msgt/ret, bmcgilvray and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "Hereabouts" as in regulars on this forum.

Are you advocating for Universal Background Checks in the absence of what you and CNN deem adequate prosecution of those who sell guns without an FFL?
    How long do you have to be here to be a regular? I thought I was by virtue of regular participation. And I was not advocating for anything or anyone. I posted an article for discussion and seem to have been condemned by you for doing so. Well, sorry to disappoint but I will take my 3000 plus likes as allowing me to feel like a regular even if there is some othe criterion for being so..
    bmcgilvray and Merovius like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    How long do you have to be here to be a regular? I thought I was by virtue of regular participation. And I was not advocating for anything or anyone. I posted an article for discussion and seem to have been condemned by you for doing so. Well, sorry to disappoint but I will take my 3000 plus likes as allowing me to feel like a regular even if there is some othe criterion for being so..
    I did say most regulars. I simply put your apparent pro-UBC stance in the minority.
    OD*, gasmitty, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Where is “hereabouts?” I am not a sheep, a member of a flock, a geographical sicophant. If you actually read the article carefully you will find that there are some significant facts in it. The most important of those is how the judiciary is doling out insignificant punishment form the people who are illegally selling guns like a business, making many thousands of dollars doing so, and getting off with a slap on the wrist. Someone who sells makes $600 thousand dollars in gun sales is not a personal seller. It is a business evading the law. That is what the article pointed out. Next time read it without a predisposition that it is false because of the source.
    There is no other product that I can purchase from a retail store, pay sales tax on, then later sell that product, and be considered an unlicensed dealer. This is a non issue.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Mike1956 and 3 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Moderator
    I am not driven by emotion. I escaped that fault in Nam. The article,simply and plainly Laos,out facts about a small part of how persons profit by evading existing gun laws. Attributing that report to a propaganda is nothing more than denying fact. There is a clear abuse os privilege by some who profit from such sales. That is wrong and we ought to address it by insisting on better judicial action, which, in case you missed the point of the article, is what it was about.
    If that means actually prosecuting those who lie on their 4473s, or those who are properly denied via NICS, then I'm on board, but that doesn't mean make new laws. Seriously - 12 Federal prosecutions for 112,000 denials in a year's time is a joke*. Hurry up, let's invent new laws that we don't enforce??? I can't fathom anyone who takes our Constitutional protections seriously wanting even MORE laws that only serve to restrict the good guys' rights.

*https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1u0jA9yrNakqjT
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    There is no other product that I can purchase from a retail store, pay sales tax on, then later sell that product, and be considered an unlicensed dealer. This is a non issue.
    Alcoholic beverages.
    Havok, msgt/ret, OD* and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If that means actually prosecuting those who lie on their 4473s, or those who are properly denied via NICS, then I'm on board, but that doesn't mean make new laws. Seriously - 12 Federal prosecutions for 112,000 denials in a year's time is a joke*. Hurry up, let's invent new laws that we don't enforce??? I can't fathom anyone who takes our Constitutional protections seriously wanting even MORE laws that only serve to restrict the good guys' rights.

*https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1u0jA9yrNakqjT
    I am absolutely against new laws. In fact I think some laws ought to be repealed. However, I think that existing laws ought to be enforced and violators who flagrantly violate personal sale exemption ought to punished & When convicted.
    Last edited by 1942bull; March 26th, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
    maxwell97, Merovius and Instymp like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Did you sell a hundred thousand do,Lars worth of guns as personal sales? No, I am sure you did not. The article was not about you it was about abusers of a law.

USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

Distinguished Member
    Good night guys. Tomorrow is another day.

USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

I find it ironic that the story started with the case of a police officer. Yet, when the ATF discovered that police in California were illegally dealing in firearms, their response is to send a letter to the chiefs of police saying

It is our goal to educate, not investigate, to ensure law enforcement officials comply with federal law in order to avoid unnecessary public embarrassment to themselves and your Department/Agency
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...412-story.html
    Havok, OD*, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Alcoholic beverages.
    Good example. Alcohol is probably responsible for a lot more deaths than guns and an attempt to ban it (Prohibition) had much worse unintended consequences as it could possibly have solved. The same will be true for guns.

I will say I recently did a consulting project with my state's alcoholic beverage control organization. There is one major difference in the two regulatory areas. Gun control is about limiting gun ownership and use. Alcohol control is all about state revenue.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Did you sell a hundred thousand do,Lars worth of guns as personal sales? No, I am sure you did not. The article was not about you it was about abusers of a law.
    So let me get this straight. You think the determining factor for whether its ok, is whether its me, or Dan Bilzerian deciding to thin out our gun collection? All because one of us has more money than the other? The article is a gun control push, to gain support for more background checks, as well as limiting transfers. It says several times that what they view as the problem is not defined in federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Good example. Alcohol is probably responsible for a lot more deaths than guns and an attempt to ban it (Prohibition) had much worse unintended consequences as it could possibly have solved. The same will be true for guns.

I will say I recently did a consulting project with my state's alcoholic beverage control organization. There is one major difference in the two regulatory areas. Gun control is about limiting gun ownership and use. Alcohol control is all about state revenue.
    It is. Admittedly, I hadn't thought about alcohol when I mentioned that. There is a difference though. I can legally sell firearms that I own. I can not legally sell alcohol that I own. I would argue that I should be able to sell alcohol just the same way, but unfortunately the law says I can not.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Snub44 and 2 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    I have no doubt that some of us here would realize that kind of money if we liquidated our personal collections. Should we be required to get an FFL or go through one as a means of doing that?
    Havok, OD*, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

"Shall not be infringed upon".
    Havok, OD*, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links