Those who wrote the Second Amendment

Those who wrote the Second Amendment

This is a discussion on Those who wrote the Second Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Paraphrased from a publication by others (not my original thought, but one I wish I had come up with): Those who wrote the Second Amendment ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Those who wrote the Second Amendment

  1. #1
    Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    355

    Those who wrote the Second Amendment

    Paraphrased from a publication by others (not my original thought, but one I wish I had come up with):

    Those who wrote the Second Amendment had not just come home from a hunting trip. They had just finished liberating a new nation.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    14,757
    The 2nd Amendment was not and never will be about hunting.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

  3. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    50,236
    The only hunting associated with 2A, is the hunting by liberals looking for a way to get rid of it.
    flh, msgt/ret, airslot and 11 others like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    The only hunting associated with 2A, is the hunting by liberals looking for a way to get rid of it.
    And they Need to forget about trying that!!!.
    Cnon likes this.

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    30,978
    "Those who wrote the Second Amendment had not just come home from a hunting trip. They had just finished liberating a new nation."

    That pretty much says it all. It amuses me at all the "interpretations" that can be arrived at from such a simple concept as freedom and independence.
    DZUS, Instymp, ButtShot14 and 5 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Oregon
    Posts
    13,887
    Those who wrote the Second Amendment-grammar.jpg
    goldshellback and DZUS like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    30,978
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grammar.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	295140
    I was going to go with no one but then Hillary come to mind. I say "everyone"!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  9. #8
    Member Array pskys2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    493
    I don't believe the 2nd Amendment is even about guns. It is about Arms, guns are just the latest developement in Arms to use in battle/self defense. Someday that too will evolve.
    In my opinion Arms is "code" recognizing that a citizen, it would be nice if it could be expanded world wide to human beings but tyrants and kings won't allow their subjects this and very few have the will and/or means to acquire it one reason why the USA is different and Americans were a threat to the World Order, MUST stand free and independent. And then independently form a community and thus the need to protect that community and the individual.
    The Progressives, Tyrants, Kings and Despos can never allow such a thing as they then have no control.
    I just read Ben Shapiro's book "The Right Side of History" and it is an attempt to explain what the Progressives are up to, why and how. It is a good read, though a bit technical at times.
    Bad Bob and Instymp like this.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Bad Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The BAD lands
    Posts
    11,728
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    I don't believe the 2nd Amendment is even about guns. It is about Arms, guns are just the latest developement in Arms to use in battle/self defense. Someday that too will evolve.
    In my opinion Arms is "code" recognizing that a citizen, it would be nice if it could be expanded world wide to human beings but tyrants and kings won't allow their subjects this and very few have the will and/or means to acquire it one reason why the USA is different and Americans were a threat to the World Order, MUST stand free and independent. And then independently form a community and thus the need to protect that community and the individual.
    The Progressives, Tyrants, Kings and Despos can never allow such a thing as they then have no control.
    I just read Ben Shapiro's book "The Right Side of History" and it is an attempt to explain what the Progressives are up to, why and how. It is a good read, though a bit technical at times.
    When it was written there were privatly owned warships.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

    In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

  11. #10
    Member Array danco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    When it was written there were privatly owned warships.
    You can't "bear" a warship, so probably not what the Founding Fathers were thinking about...

    (Although it would be fun to have a torpedo tube or two on your bass boat...)

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by danco View Post
    You can't "bear" a warship, so probably not what the Founding Fathers were thinking about...

    (Although it would be fun to have a torpedo tube or two on your bass boat...)
    At the time of the drafting of the Bill of Rights, the word "arms", as in the context of the Second Amendment, meant a weapon capable of being carrying "on or about the person" and we know this because the word "bear" also appears in this amendment as a verb with arms as its object. A general more widespread use of "arms" outside of the 2A context would mean any weapon capable of being brought to bear in one's defense, the "one's" here also referring to a nation.
    msgt/ret, Snub44, Instymp and 1 others like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    America First!

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Those who wrote the Second Amendment had not just come home from a hunting trip. They had just finished liberating a new nation."

    That pretty much says it all. It amuses me at all the "interpretations" that can be arrived at from such a simple concept as freedom and independence.
    You're right on about this.
    Cnon likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    America First!

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,073
    our mistake is thinking they actually believe it’s about hunting.
    Bikenut likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I was going to go with no one but then Hillary come to mind. I say "everyone"!
    Whoever tailors her pantsuits doesn't get paid enough.
    Psalm 144:1

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    5,265
    Go back in time and offer George Washington an AR-15 and I guarantee he wouldn't say, "no I only meant muskets"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •