NRA Class Disarm Requirement

This is a discussion on NRA Class Disarm Requirement within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently attended a NRA one-day range officer certification class that was held at a private club where I belong. At the start of the ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: NRA Class Disarm Requirement

Distinguished Member

I recently attended a NRA one-day range officer certification class that was held at a private club where I belong. At the start of the class the lead instructor requested that anyone who was carrying to return their firearms to their vehicle, that it was an NRA requirement that no firearms or live ammo was allowed to be present during the class. There were 18 participants, all club members, and about half the class got up, along with me, to go to our vehicles and disarm.

On one hand I understand and on the other I am offended, particularly by this coming from the NRA. Has anyone had something similar occur when attending NRA classes or sponsored activities?

No. I would also be quite surprised if something like this were to take place in an NRA-sanctioned class or seminar. I took the 2-day NRA course 25 years ago at a private club and don't recall seeing anything like this.
    Old Man and gatorbait51 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    No. I would also be quite surprised if something like this were to take place in an NRA-sanctioned class or seminar. I took the 2-day NRA course 25 years ago at a private club and don't recall seeing anything like this.
    I took several courses at the NRA HQ range in Fairfax. For about half of them, no loaded guns were allowed in the classrooms, even if they were carry guns that would not be used in the class. It's a bit like gunshows. In VA, no loaded guns are allowed and all guns need to be zip tied, even if they are carry guns. So you essentially have gun-free zones in gun courses and gun shows. A lot of people who make money from gun owners are Fudds.
    Bikenut, airslot, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    I recently attended a NRA one-day range officer certification class that was held at a private club where I belong. At the start of the class the lead instructor requested that anyone who was carrying to return their firearms to their vehicle, that it was an NRA requirement that no firearms or live ammo was allowed to be present during the class. There were 18 participants, all club members, and about half the class got up, along with me, to go to our vehicles and disarm.

On one hand I understand and on the other I am offended, particularly by this coming from the NRA. Has anyone had something similar occur when attending NRA classes or sponsored activities?
    That was the requirement by those putting on the class when I took my NRA instructor certification training.

It is also a "requirement" stated in my NRA Instructor notebook.

Also, no silhouette-type targets are to be used in NRA courses, also described in the notebook.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

A gun club I used to belong to was holding a NRA CCW class when I stopped in to use the range. I was informed if I wanted to stay on the grounds I would have to disarm during the time of the class. I left in disgust. As far as I know the NRA no guns rule during classes is still a NRA requirement.

A few months later a couple of vocal (and what I considered wannabe control freak tyrants) members wanted to restrict open carry during other events the club held from time to time. Events like flea markets, wild game dinners, and even monthly board meetings. The board voted in favor and I left the club entirely.

In my not so humble and probably not popular opinion gun clubs/ranges and gun owners who have swallowed the anti gun BS and willingly enact and enforce gun control on themselves are nothing more than anti gunner enablers. And I consider anti gunner enablers worse than the anti gunners themselves.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Distinguished Member
    Remember, gun owners are not in charge at the NRA - it's the administrators and their pet lawyers. Sorry, Life NRA member just calling it as I see it but this is a risk management decision because they do not want an AD during a training class. The lawyers see that as a huge negative.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

VIP Member
    When I took the NRA RSO course at my private club we were all told due to the extensive gun handling during the class no one was to be armed. Not sure if this was an NRA requirement or a club requirement, but it made sense to me.

My current club allows members to carry our EDCs to the firing ranges, but they are never to leave the holster or other container in which they may be. If we want to shoot our EDCs, we have to bring them to the firing line unloaded. When I do that, I simply carry one of my backups until I get home, clean the gun, and reload.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    From the instructors guide:

NRA Class Disarm Requirement-classroom-firearms-policy-p-1.jpg NRA Class Disarm Requirement-firearms-classroom-policy-page-2.jpg
    Old Man and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member
    So no guns in NRA classrooms but more guns in schools. Or read as we protect your 2A Rights everywhere but in our operations. Now if a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun why does it not apply to NRA classes. Surely if a BG showed up and endangered people the rest of the attendees ought to be able to handle that. What is hypocrisy? Hypocrisy is “the practice of engaging in the same behavior as those you criticize.” Are we seeing that here. Yes we are!
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

It is a safety issue!!!
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    It is a safety issue!!!
    Isn't that true in any place where people gather? You cannot have it both ways. One standard has to apply to society at large and the NRA. Apparently NRA missed that point. If I agree with your position I have to agree that public safety overrides my 2A Rights and gun free zones are OK.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    So no guns in NRA classrooms but more guns in schools. Or read as we protect your 2A Rights everywhere but in our operations. Now if a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun why does it not apply to NRA classes. Surely if a BG showed up and endangered people the rest of the attendees ought to be able to handle that. What is hypocrisy? Hypocrisy is “the practice of engaging in the same behavior as those you criticize.” Are we seeing that here. Yes we are!
    I'm going to take an unpopular stance.
    Yes, we are seeing a hypocritical response by the NRA to a potentially life and death situation.
    How many of you have been at a public range and seen unsafe behaviour?
    How many have witnessed ND's in a public setting?

The last Carry class I attended the instructor allowed current permit holder's to carry as long as it stayed in the holster.
    At the range he expelled one student for showing off his loaded carry gun behind the firing line while waiting to shoot.
    I applaud the instructor for maintaining a safe class.

JMO YMMV
    spclopr8tr, G-man*, danco and 7 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I'm going to take an unpopular stance.
    Yes, we are seeing a hypocritical response by the NRA to a potentially life and death situation.
    How many of you have been at a public range and seen unsafe behaviour?
    How many have witnessed ND's in a public setting?

The last Carry class I attended the instructor allowed current permit holder's to carry as long as it stayed in the holster.
    At the range he expelled one student for showing off his loaded carry gun behind the firing line while waiting to shoot.
    I applaud the instructor for maintaining a safe class.

JMO YMMV
    Vigilance is the price of Freedom. Vigilance is an old word for a new tactia-cool phrase "situational awareness". Why would I be less situationally aware at the range than I am elsewhere? Oh, and good for the RSO or Instructor for ejecting the idiot.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Like it or lump it

As a NRA and FDLE Instructor I will tell you neither ammunition nor guns belong in a classroom at the beginning of any class. Period. If anyone is "offended" they are welcome to leave.

I took the NRA RSO course several years ago....did not have to disarm....maybe something new?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links