VCDL to conduct second Lobby Day

This is a discussion on VCDL to conduct second Lobby Day within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As most of you know, the VCDL conducts an event on the first day of each VA state legislative session in January. We call it ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By jmf552
  • 3 Post By ShooterGranny

Thread: VCDL to conduct second Lobby Day

As most of you know, the VCDL conducts an event on the first day of each VA state legislative session in January. We call it Lobby Day. It is arguably one of the most successful, regularly organized pro-gun events in the country. We pack the legislative office building in Richmond with hundreds of pro-gun people (a few come from out of state). All are open carrying and wearing big, orange "Guns Save Lives" stickers. We break up into teams, each of which has targets of 10-12 legislators. We visit every state legislator's office, present the VCDL legislative agenda document and talk to either the legislator or their senior aide. This year, similar to previous years, this, along with some other VCDL efforts, were successful in getting over 60 anti-gun bills killed in committee. None of them made it to a floor vote. We even got one pro-gun bill passed by the legislature, but the governor wouldn't sign it.

This year, Gov. Northam has called a special legislative session in response to the Virginia Beach mass shooting, despite the fact that the VB police chief, who is usually anti-gun, said publicly that none of Northam's proposals would have stopped that shooting.

The VCDL is for the first time I am aware of, going to do a second Lobby Day on July 9, the first day of the special session, just to address Northam's proposals. Again, we will pack the legislative office building, but also, we will kick off VCDL attendance at all the committee meetings for this special session. We will also conduct "contact your legislators" phone and email campaigns. This has proved a winning formula for the VCDL for many years.

Join us if you can. If not, wish us luck.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    Best of luck! Keep fighting the good fight! Keep us posted here, and if you get disheartened, we’ll help cheer you up.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    I do wish you good luck and wish I could be there to join you! Having been part of lobby day several times in my state for an organization (not gun related) that I belong to, I know the legislators are impressed when everywhere they look in "their" building they see people wearing buttons, clothing or name tags identifying their organization.

Heck, I even asked my father to go along a couple times and promised him he didn't have to say a word - just be there and be noticed. He did that.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Sponsored Links