ATFís gun measurement change now forcing federal registration of popular guns - Page 5

ATFís gun measurement change now forcing federal registration of popular guns

This is a discussion on ATFís gun measurement change now forcing federal registration of popular guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by StripesDude Thatís the problem. Some lower level ATF employee is attempting to interpret the laws. So whoís to say it will be ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: ATFís gun measurement change now forcing federal registration of popular guns

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Thatís the problem. Some lower level ATF employee is attempting to interpret the laws. So whoís to say it will be applied evenly across all agents? You and I could be in violation of these interpretations, with the exact same gun, and one agent may make an issue of it and one may not. Thatís whatís scary to me. Lack of clarity and someone trying to make a determination who may or may not be qualified to do so.
    Thatís kind of my point. I donít think they would hold up if someone were charged with violating the letter. Especially because I have my doubts that these letters have changed how even a single officer handles incidents with the items involved in the letters.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Thatís kind of my point. I donít think they would hold up if someone were charged with violating the letter. Especially because I have my doubts that these letters have changed how even a single officer handles incidents with the items involved in the letters.
    It probably wouldn't be held up, but who wants to go through the inconvenience and expense of having to fight it, even if the agent was wrong?
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    A short while back I posted an article about the ATF and forward vertical grips. This is further "clarification" of the same issue. So, if I am reading this right, anyone who has an AR pistol now has to buy a tax stamp? Is that correct???

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has reportedly changed a key gun measuring standard that is reclassifying popular guns if they have a stabilizing brace.

In an ATF letter obtained by firearms legal expert, attorney Adam Kraut, the ATF is no longer allowing overall gun measurements to include ďstabilizing braces,Ē meaning that many popular guns like the AR pistol will now be under their standard length and subject to the National Firearms Act (NFA) regulations.

Guns fitted with a stabilizing brace that once measured more than 26″ overall length (exempting it from NFA regulations) are now not allowed to include the brace in its overall length measurement, meaning if it now falls under 26″ under the new measurement, they are now subject to NFA regulation.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...KZrQw4iBCknqm8
    You are reading way too much into this. Basically what it says is that if you have a pistol with 26 inches or under and a stabilizer brace you canít have a forward vertical grip. So just donít put a vertical forward grip on it.
    G26Raven likes this.
    One more step and it's on!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    It probably wouldn't be held up, but who wants to go through the inconvenience and expense of having to fight it, even if the agent was wrong?
    I didnít didnt say anyone did. My point was just that the letters are a load of crap, and sooner or later they will be challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    You are reading way too much into this. Basically what it says is that if you have a pistol with 26 inches or under and a stabilizer brace you canít have a forward vertical grip. So just donít put a vertical forward grip on it.
    You are reading too much into this. How about we just donít classify it as an NFA item?
    G26Raven and dripster like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Thatís the problem. Some lower level ATF employee is attempting to interpret the laws. So whoís to say it will be applied evenly across all agents? You and I could be in violation of these interpretations, with the exact same gun, and one agent may make an issue of it and one may not. Thatís whatís scary to me. Lack of clarity and someone trying to make a determination who may or may not be qualified to do so.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of regulations. You should see what I deal with at work. The way to handle it is the same: do stuff thatís definitely legal, avoid stuff that may or may not be legal depending on who you ask.
    G26Raven and msgt/ret like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Just because a lower is stamped "multi purpose' or whatever, means absolutely nothing. The only record that exists when you purchase a stripped lower is the paperwork (4473) which lists "pistol, long gun, or other." It is the dealer's responsibility to fill that portion in. It is your responsibility to use the lower appropriately and legally. Just because it is marked somehow makes no difference.

And if all else fails, the government will just have to ante up to pay for the room and board for 10-15 million otherwise law abiding citizens who some pinhead bureaucrat just converted to felons with no legal recourse by writing a letter. Not to mention the millions of lawsuits soon to follow.

I think I'm going to write a letter and have it published far and wide making ALL bureaucrats of every government agency automatic felons for no other reason than they are pinheads who insist on dining at the public trough.
    I believe the "Multi" on the lower receiver denotes "multi-cartridge," not "multi-purpose." It could be a 5.56, .300 AAC, 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. A Firearm is required to have its cartridge stamped on it. That's why the initial run of Taurus "Curve" pistols was recalled; nowhere was ".380 ACP" stamped on the frame. An AR-pattern receiver can wear many chamberings ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links