My, But How the Conversations Change (or not)

This is a discussion on My, But How the Conversations Change (or not) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A couple years ago we were going back and forth here among ourselves about the hearing protection act, National Reciprocity, the abolition of gun-free zones ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 4 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By entertainment72
  • 3 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: My, But How the Conversations Change (or not)

VIP Member

A couple years ago we were going back and forth here among ourselves about the hearing protection act, National Reciprocity, the abolition of gun-free zones and whether armed school staff would become a reality. Now, we are wondering which of our current rights are headed out the window, and which ones we'll get to hang onto.

OTOH, some topics, like Open Carry, which caliber is best, is this or that gun enough, and where is the best position to carry a gun never grow old.

I'm more just thinking out loud here than trying to generate a discussion, but feel free to add as you will.
    Havok likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    The national gun rights dialogue is like a pendulum. Right now it seems to be swinging to the left. While I wish I was an optimist that it will swing right and stay there, at this point I just hope for equilibrium. One thing is certain is there is never a scarcity of news so that it becomes boring.

As for topics that never get old, yeah, some actually do for those who have been following gun forums for any length of time. .
    Mike1956 and Bikenut like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I still have .357 magnum ammo I stocked up on when Bill Clinton won the election in 1992. I started carrying higher capacity pistols in .45 ACP and 10mm after that.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    This is what happens when the politicians know that they can take their supporters for granted.

National Reciprocity, the Hearing Act, abolition of gun free zones, arming school staff, open carry laws etc were only used as the carrot to get people to vote one way. Not many other options especially on the left but the right has come to take their constituents for granted and have no desire make good on their promises (carrot).

The great "protectors" of gun rights will do more harm than Obama did in 8 years.
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    This is what happens when the politicians know that they can take their supporters for granted.

National Reciprocity, the Hearing Act, abolition of gun free zones, arming school staff, open carry laws etc were only used as the carrot to get people to vote one way. Not many other options especially on the left but the right has come to take their constituents for granted and have no desire make good on their promises (carrot).

The great "protectors" of gun rights will do more harm than Obama did in 8 years.
    I don't care for carrots, and never have. That said, the promise of carrots has always been much more appealing than the reality of what makes it to the table.

I'd trade "Universal background checks" for national reciprocity to start a discussion.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    I'd trade "Universal background checks" for national reciprocity to start a discussion.
    I am for national reciprocity, but I would never trade anything for anything in the political gun rights arena. My thinking:
    • National reciprocity should happen anyway. We should not have to trade anything for it. Besides, I can carry in 42 states now. The other eight I don't want to visit.
    • UBCs are part of a progression. They won't reduce crime, so then they will need the next step, licensing and registration. That will leave them set up to do confiscations. I don't think confiscations on a mass scale could be pulled off, but I think they just want the power to be able to do it.

We should never trade with the government. What they giveth, they can taketh away. We don't have that power, but we don't have that power. Never compromise on your rights. Never give up fighting for them.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    I heard Trump wants to attach UBCs to increased border wall funding.

I hear the world will run out of bourbon in 2030. There's something to be concerned about.

I find the less I concern myself about the day-to-day gun rights panics, the less I need to drink.
    G-man*, airslot and NECCdude like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Somebody in the Senate wants to use UBCs to identify and catch illegal immigrants if they put in 4473.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Cool. UBCs will be easier to swallow if Mexico is funding it.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

VIP Member
    Cool. UBCs will be easier to swallow if Mexico is funding it.
    The art of the deal.
    Doghandler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I hear the world will run out of bourbon in 2030. There's something to be concerned about.

I find the less I concern myself about the day-to-day gun rights panics, the less I need to drink.
    Exactly. Not going to lose any sleep over it. Been thru this many times over the years.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Sponsored Links